Mark's curly African makore HT3's and HTC

jsalk

Mark's curly African makore HT3's and HTC
« on: 29 Jan 2007, 11:10 pm »
Mark visited out shop to select a finish for a pair of HT3's and HTC he wanted.  At the time, we had just finished a pair of HT3's in African makore with Mexican cocobolo front baffles.  He and Christie liked them very much.

The decision was made to go with makore and cocobolo trim.

A few days later, I came across a very nice batch of curly makore.  While it was different than the block-mottled makore on the pair Mark saw, I thought it was a really nice batch of veneer.  Mark gave me the go-ahead and I bought quite a bit of it.

Here is a picture of the resulting HT3's and HTC...

Here's a closer shot of the HT3's alone...

And a close-up of the makore veneer...

As you can see, it had some very nice curl.

Happy listening Mark and Christie!

- Jim

texas steve

Re: Mark's curly African makore HT3's and HTC
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2007, 11:40 pm »
Mark visited out shop to select a finish for a pair of HT3's and HTC he wanted.  At the time, we had just finished a pair of HT3's in African makore with Mexican cocobolo front baffles.  He and Christie liked them very much.

The decision was made to go with makore and cocobolo trim.

A few days later, I came across a very nice batch of curly makore.  While it was different than the block-mottled makore on the pair Mark saw, I thought it was a really nice batch of veneer.  Mark gave me the go-ahead and I bought quite a bit of it.

Here is a picture of the resulting HT3's and HTC...

Happy listening Mark and Christie!

- Jim

Mark, it must be GREAT to NOT have to explain sound and the value (or as wifes normally see it - $$$$$) to your wife.   Hope you both enjoy your speakers, I have had my HT3/C now for 6 months or so and they are GREAT!!!

yooper

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2007, 07:31 pm »
The above speakers were built for me. 

So much has been said of the outstanding sound and build quality as well as the value of Jim's speakers, it becomes somewhat difficult to say something not already said.

I was a few weeks away from buying a pair of JM labs, and while researching, I ran across some very positive posts on other forums talking of Salk speakers.  Although the thought of not buying commercial speakers never entered my mind, I was intrigued, and had to learn more.  After a little digging and much to my surprise, Jim was about an hour drive from my house.
My wife and I decided to give Jim a call. 

What I experienced during and after my first call to Jim was something special.  Of all the things I purchased in my life, not one was as enjoyable as this. 

Having the owner/builder/operator invite you to his shop, show you around and answer all your questions is truly a special experience.  Afterwards, we are invited into his home, meet his family and are given a chance to listen to his speakers and chat more.  Add to this the extreme passion Jim shows for his work, the unbelievable sound and craftsmanship, and it is becomes apparent that this is truly something unique.

Texas Steve, I visited Jim's shop a couple times, and she was with me for both visits, and actually enjoyed the process with me.  She also picked the finish and loves everything about them.  She is a good woman. :thumb:

I LOVE MY SPEAKERS :drool:
Thanks Jim, and to all involved.
Mark

BradJudy

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2007, 10:06 pm »
yooper, eh?  Is this pair living up in the U.P.? 

yooper

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2007, 10:12 pm »
Although I am 100% authentic yooper :D, I moved from Wakefield Mi to the Ann Arbor area some time back.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2007, 01:24 am »
And you missed our GTG.  Timing was just off slightly there.  Do you have a HT running with them now?

NealH

« Reply #6 on: 1 Feb 2007, 02:02 am »
My jaw promptly dropped to the floor the moment I opened up this thread.  What a beautifully constructed and appointed set of speakers.  My complements to the builder and the new owner.  Jim Salk & crew appear to set a standard in quality that seems to elude the masses.  Man, would they look good in my place.   

yooper

« Reply #7 on: 1 Feb 2007, 04:39 pm »
And you missed our GTG.  Timing was just off slightly there.  Do you have a HT running with them now?

Yea, I'm really sorry I missed it.  Although I've been browsing this forum for a few months and saw your post mentioning the event, at the time, I fealt like to much of a stranger to ask for an invite.  I'm kicking myself now :duh:

I do have a HT setup and am using the Anthem AVM 50 and MCA 50. 

On another note, I ordered some room treatment today and am anxious to see the results.

Mark

Big Red Machine

« Reply #8 on: 1 Feb 2007, 05:27 pm »

Yea, I'm really sorry I missed it.  Although I've been browsing this forum for a few months and saw your post mentioning the event, at the time, I fealt like to much of a stranger to ask for an invite.  I'm kicking myself now :duh:

I do have a HT setup and am using the Anthem AVM 50 and MCA 50. 

On another note, I ordered some room treatment today and am anxious to see the results.

Mark

Thinking about the AVM40 myself.  Can't see the need for video processing with HD DVD and what comes in the 1080p PJ's these days. 

Jim and Dennis were both quite impressed with the bass control I had in my small room.  The treatments and bass trapping really paid off.

Maybe you should host an event! :green:  Invite 30 to 40 of your closest friends. :thumb: