ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

WG

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #1540 on: 23 May 2010, 05:31 pm »
Visually this one seems to have a faint darkening of the entire tube with slightly darker zebra stripes running from the top to the bottom plate.

My EML had the same visual characteristics as you describe before it went.  I had used the Ruby that came with the Transporter prior to the EML.  When the EML failed, I reinstalled the Ruby.  I purchased a Mullard GZ32/CV593 from Upscale Audio this month.  The pricing was reasonable at $60 + Packing/Shipping.  Vocals, stage width, and imaging are superior to the Ruby.  The vocals seem more forward than the EML, but I am good with that--my speakers are dynamic dipoles which present very good depth.  If I recall correctly, the top end may have been a bit more extended with the EML.  I am curious about other rectifiers like the High Wycombe, but I, too, am uneasy about the cause of the EML failures and whether other expensive rectifiers may also be prone to prematurely fail in the Transporter as well. 

Regards,
Will

Berto

« Reply #1541 on: 23 May 2010, 05:56 pm »
Recently just got my MWTP back from Dan. Had him lower the voltage to my EML for a reasonable cost. Like most of you on here I purchased my MWTP previous to us discovering the King of rectifier options (EML).

In all fairness to Dan and George this tube although compatible was proabably being pushed too hard with the original volatge of the  MWTP.  I'm coming up on 1300 hrs, not sure what is considered average life for a rectifier but that (knock on my solid wood Ulysses) is what I hope to be able to attain.

Since this an important ingredient , would be a wise idea to talk to Dan and see about lowering you rectifier voltage as well if needed. If you have a newer MWTP this might be a moot point. (fingers crossed). 

WG

« Reply #1542 on: 23 May 2010, 06:17 pm »
Berto,

Yes, I purchased the MWTP prior to the EML.  I was still musing on whether I would pursue the Platinum Upgrade when I read the of the recommendations to do so if using the EML.  I then had Dan do the upgrade as well as the Bybee option. 

Was this recent lowering of the voltage you had done in addition to the changes made by the Platinum Upgrade (standard configuration now on MWTP)?

Regards,
Will 

Berto

« Reply #1543 on: 23 May 2010, 06:36 pm »
Berto,

Yes, I purchased the MWTP prior to the EML.  I was still musing on whether I would pursue the Platinum Upgrade when I read the of the recommendations to do so if using the EML.  I then had Dan do the upgrade as well as the Bybee option. 

Was this recent lowering of the voltage you had done in addition to the changes made by the Platinum Upgrade (standard configuration now on MWTP)

Regards,
Will

Hi will > I orig. bought my unit fully upgraded with the 9 pin configuration for the signal tubes in 2/09.  So yes this was done in addition.

I would not of known about this possibility but somewhere in this extensive thread, I read from a fellow poster that Dan said he could lower the voltage to the rectifier.  Could not fathom being w/o my MWTP but was forced to send it in anyways due to a lose molex connector (where the EML plugs into).

Not sure if all the newer units have lower voltages to the rectifier, I just know that mine could be lowered. Time will tell if this helps.

WG

« Reply #1544 on: 23 May 2010, 06:59 pm »
Thanks Berto,

You already have passed what I was able to obtain with the EML.  Good luck going forward with your EML and hopefully you will have thousands of hours of enjoyment with this tube.

Regards,
Will

Berto

« Reply #1545 on: 23 May 2010, 07:08 pm »
Thanks Berto,

You already have passed what I was able to obtain with the EML.  Good luck going forward with your EML and hopefully you will have thousands of hours of enjoyment with this tube.

Regards,
Will

Thx Will. after just reading a few more recent comments, I will ad that I just looked at my EML and it does have those Zebra stripes dtz and you had mentioned. So in reality I might be in for a rude awakening. :roll:

Keep ya posted.

scp2

« Reply #1546 on: 26 May 2010, 11:20 am »
After reading here and checking my voltage I was ready to pull the trigger on the EML...but read the specs and it appears it is 3" taller than the stock tube...am I right? I don't have much room above mt TP with stock tube. Can anybody verify that?

Thanks for your input.

Bigfish

« Reply #1547 on: 26 May 2010, 12:00 pm »
After reading here and checking my voltage I was ready to pull the trigger on the EML...but read the specs and it appears it is 3" taller than the stock tube...am I right? I don't have much room above mt TP with stock tube. Can anybody verify that?

Thanks for your input.

You can see pictures of the ModWright Transporter with the EML installed on pages 29 and on page 33 of this thread.  I believe the distance from the shelf to the top of the EML is approximately 9". 

Good Luck, the EML is a fantastic sounding rectifier tube.

Ken

Berto

« Reply #1548 on: 26 May 2010, 12:29 pm »
You can see pictures of the ModWright Transporter with the EML installed on pages 29 and on page 33 of this thread.  I believe the distance from the shelf to the top of the EML is approximately 9". 

Good Luck, the EML is a fantastic sounding rectifier tube.

Ken

That's the old EML that most of have. The new EML (and you can check with George at TubesUSA) is in a more compact envelope. I just spoke with George and he explained they redesigned it to be more in line (sizewise) with its NOS counterparts.

rpf

« Reply #1549 on: 26 May 2010, 12:40 pm »
For those searching for alternatives to the EML 5U4G, I just posted this ad:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=81729.msg784901;topicseen#new

Dan, if you feel this post is inappropriate here, please delete it.

michaelrp2

« Reply #1550 on: 29 May 2010, 02:36 pm »
It's a long time since I've been on line and I was after some advice. I have a Transporter with the Platinum and Hyperdrive upgrades and an EML rectifier tube.. but am still using the stock 6N1P driver tubes. What is the latest preferences on driver tubes at reasonable cost and where are the best places to source these? I am based in the UK. All steers gratefully received. Best wishes.

modwright

« Reply #1551 on: 29 May 2010, 10:17 pm »
No problem Rob.

Dan

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #1552 on: 30 May 2010, 12:02 am »
It's a long time since I've been on line and I was after some advice. I have a Transporter with the Platinum and Hyperdrive upgrades and an EML rectifier tube.. but am still using the stock 6N1P driver tubes. What is the latest preferences on driver tubes at reasonable cost and where are the best places to source these? I am based in the UK. All steers gratefully received. Best wishes.

Current favored tubes are Shuguang CV-181-Z Black Treasures using an octal adapter (like the one from Bolder Cable) with the older TP like yours. No adapter is necessary with the newer version with octal sockets.  These tubes seem to have ousted the former reigning NOS King, the Tung-Sol Round-Plates from the 40's-50's.  The octal tube options seem to add some weight and fullness to the sound in my own experience.  I haven't found a 9-pin that can compete, but favored options have been 6CG7 cleartops and 6H30-DR supertubes. 

michaelrp2

« Reply #1553 on: 30 May 2010, 05:54 am »
Thank you. Very much appreciated. M.

mca

« Reply #1554 on: 30 May 2010, 05:07 pm »
Man those Black Treasures are expensive. Anyone know what their life expectancy is when used in the Transporter?

modwright

« Reply #1555 on: 30 May 2010, 05:28 pm »
Operating point is conservative for 6SN7.  I can't speak to the life of this particular tube otherwise.

Thanks,

Dan

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1556 on: 30 May 2010, 07:57 pm »
Current favored tubes are Shuguang CV-181-Z Black Treasures using an octal adapter (like the one from Bolder Cable) with the older TP like yours. No adapter is necessary with the newer version with octal sockets.  These tubes seem to have ousted the former reigning NOS King, the Tung-Sol Round-Plates from the 40's-50's.  The octal tube options seem to add some weight and fullness to the sound in my own experience.  I haven't found a 9-pin that can compete, but favored options have been 6CG7 cleartops and 6H30-DR supertubes.

I have gone back to the TP's and prefer them (by a small margin) over the Black Treasures when coupled with NOS BEL GZ34 rectifier.

I just had a friend over and he also preferred this combo to the EML/BT in my system.

George

mikel51

« Reply #1557 on: 30 May 2010, 09:32 pm »
I've also decided that I like my tung sol 6sn7s over the Black Treasures...my current favs are the 50s vintage 6sn7w.

M

AB

« Reply #1558 on: 1 Jun 2010, 08:00 pm »
A little over a week ago I was unhappy to hear my system sounding harsh and grainy. I figured the 6H30 tubes in my 36.5 were going bad. As it turns out they are fine but the Black Treasures in the TP back slid substantially and were sounding like they were breaking in all over again.
These BTs have over 600 hours on them and I never suspected they would ever sound so sour again. But they did and for over 7 days +- they sounded like crap. All seems better now but who would have thought these tubes could still be wandering around sound wise? Weird...

jriggy

« Reply #1559 on: 1 Jun 2010, 08:43 pm »
Man those Black Treasures are expensive. Anyone know what their life expectancy is when used in the Transporter?

Hey Mike,

here is a quote from the guy @ EML and a thought from me from earlier...
-------------------------------------
This quote from iGrant got me wondering.
"We don't know how long they will last in service, certain materials that made NOS last so long just aren't allowed to be used anymore, but we have zero reports of failures on them since we got our AT-1000 and could sort out the grading and reject the 'too far from spec' ones. We expect more than 5,000 hours, time will tell."

It seems to be the consensus so far that the Black Treasures sound better than the Round Plates but how much better? I know the 'how much better' outlook is subjective but if the TungSol's are very very good to begin with and last possibly twice as long (10,000 hrs) at the same price, then one could look at it as the Black Treasures costing twice as much if you must purchase them more often.
--------------------------------------

Im still on my first EML and TS round plates and did not try the black treasures yet. I am seeing the striping on the EML now though. Took it out to try the Bel GZ34; I will miss  the EML but the GZ34 was really good too. A little 'splashy' in the highs but more definition in the bass IME. Guessing the highs will tighten up over time.