ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #960 on: 9 Mar 2009, 01:28 am »
Just an FYI....listened to some music tonight sans EML.   :?  And guess what? :o  Those incredible Tung Sol round plates are like Lebron, or Kobe or Michael.....they make everything around them perform better.  I threw in a US Sylvania 5U4G bottle shaped recitfier in the MW TP and it sounds great!  Now, I'm not saying I will not miss my EML during this hiatus, but boy did my system sound great tonight (and I would have thought it was gonna be problematic as I also removed a lot of furniture, traps and equipment from the back third of my room today, behind the listening position..the riser project begins this week.).  So, those of you who have the pleasure of rolling some good signal tubes, especially the octals....throw in a nice rectifier and fire it up.  You'll be surprised how much you like it.   :D

owenmd

« Reply #961 on: 9 Mar 2009, 05:27 am »
After months of contented EMLing, I stuck in my next fave down for the weekend, a Blackburn GZ37.  Its a bit like playing table tennis with a book, "proper" football with trainers (sneakers) or silicone.... sure you can do it.... but its just not quite right somehow....?

Sorry if I offended any table tennis fans!   :nono:

Berto

« Reply #962 on: 9 Mar 2009, 03:05 pm »
After months of contented EMLing, I stuck in my next fave down for the weekend, a Blackburn GZ37.  Its a bit like playing table tennis with a book, "proper" football with trainers (sneakers) or silicone.... sure you can do it.... but its just not quite right somehow....?

Sorry if I offended any table tennis fans!   :nono:

Can only imagine whats it like compared to that stock GE rectifier (my only other one and a HUGE step backwards). Got a quick reply from Dan:

"I will verify with my tech, but provided that it has 22uf caps and not 100uf caps in a key location in the power supply, then it is fine.  I will verify and get back with you."

I'm hoping at a month old I got the right caps, have zero interest in rolling rectifiers right now, will surely follow up w/Dan if I don't get a email before I go home tonite.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #963 on: 9 Mar 2009, 03:10 pm »
Just an FYI....listened to some music tonight sans EML.   :?  And guess what? :o  Those incredible Tung Sol round plates are like Lebron, or Kobe or Michael.....they make everything around them perform better.  I threw in a US Sylvania 5U4G bottle shaped recitfier in the MW TP and it sounds great!  Now, I'm not saying I will not miss my EML during this hiatus, but boy did my system sound great tonight (and I would have thought it was gonna be problematic as I also removed a lot of furniture, traps and equipment from the back third of my room today, behind the listening position..the riser project begins this week.).  So, those of you who have the pleasure of rolling some good signal tubes, especially the octals....throw in a nice rectifier and fire it up.  You'll be surprised how much you like it.   :D

Heck, mine sounds killer with the BEL GZ34 and I don't even the Platinum or Hyper Mod yet.

George

modwright

« Reply #964 on: 9 Mar 2009, 08:59 pm »
Hi guys, sorry for the brief reply and lack of follow up.

My tech has just confirmed with me that all 'Hyper-Drive' upgrades that have been performed in the last 60-days are certainly equipped with the 22uf caps.

For now:  Please stop using the EML tube until you can verify that your unit has the 22uf caps and not the 100uf caps installed.  All new and current Hyperdrive Upgrades that have been done, have the 22uf caps.  Some of the early Hyperdrive mods may be questionable and we need to determine this.  If you HAVE NOT had this upgrade done, then I can GUARANTEE YOU that your unit has 100uf caps and is not suitable with the EML tube as it is.

First of all, I will take a picture of a unit with the right size caps, with lid on, so that there is an easy way to determine if your unit is viable with the EML tube or not.

Secondly, if you want to use the EML tube, and I understand that it is a great tube, you may either:

* Have the Hyperdrive Upgrades done by us.
* Or, for parts and labor ($75/hr shop rate) + shipping both ways, we will be sure that the caps are replaced and the unit suitable for use with the EML tube.

AGAIN:  IF YOU ARE UNSURE, PLEASE STOP USING THE EML TUBE UNTIL THE STATUS OF YOUR UNIT CAN BE VERIFIED.

Thanks,

Dan W.

sleepysurf

• Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society
    • Suncoast Audiophile Society
« Reply #965 on: 9 Mar 2009, 09:35 pm »
Dan,

What about the SWL 9.0 Signature.  Would the EML be compatible?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #966 on: 9 Mar 2009, 09:56 pm »
Dan,

What about the SWL 9.0 Signature.  Would the EML be compatible?

I just spoke with Dan.  All other MW products (other than a TP with 100uf caps) can handle the EML just fine.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #967 on: 9 Mar 2009, 10:06 pm »
THE OFFICIAL "HOW TO TELL IF YOUR MW TP IS OK FOR USING AN EML RECTIFIER"

FRONT OF TP

REAR OF TP

Here is full view, showing signal tubes to the left (i.e rear of TP perspective)

1) Power down you tube section and remove the rectifier, exposing the rectifier socket area;
2) From the perspective of the front of the Transporter, look into the hole and see the capacitor directly to the left (opposite direction from signal tubes).  If your area is well lit, or you use a magnifying glass and/or flashlight you should be able to see the cap value.  A 100uf cap is large, like in the picture.  A 22uf cap is more like the size of capacitor "D" in the picture.

Although the pics above are not of my TP, nonetheless mine is a 100uf (even though I had a hypermod done, as you all know).  So don't assume anything.  Dan and John didn't go to 22uf until they realized later that, with the better voltage regulation of the hypermods they didn't need to stay with the 100uf's in series (i.e 2 of them).  Instead they went to two (2) 22uf cap values.

As per Dan's message, if you have large 100uf's, cease and desist using the EML rectifier (any others we've discussed and rolled are fine).  A hypermod or cap change (i.e trip back to Amboy) is the solution, assuming you want to use the EML rectifier. 

rydenfan

« Reply #968 on: 9 Mar 2009, 11:07 pm »
22 uf baby  :thumb:

jwes

« Reply #969 on: 9 Mar 2009, 11:14 pm »
THE OFFICIAL "HOW TO TELL IF YOUR MW TP IS OK FOR USING AN EML RECTIFIER"

FRONT OF TP

REAR OF TP

Here is full view, showing signal tubes to the left (i.e rear of TP perspective)

1) Power down you tube section and remove the rectifier, exposing the rectifier socket area;
2) From the perspective of the front of the Transporter, look into the hole and see the capacitor directly to the left (opposite direction from signal tubes).  If your area is well lit, or you use a magnifying glass and/or flashlight you should be able to see the cap value.  A 100uf cap is large, like in the picture.  A 22uf cap is more like the size of capacitor "D" in the picture.

Although the pics above are not of my TP, nonetheless mine is a 100uf (even though I had a hypermod done, as you all know).  So don't assume anything.  Dan and John didn't go to 22uf until they realized later that, with the better voltage regulation of the hypermods they didn't need to stay with the 100uf's in series (i.e 2 of them).  Instead they went to two (2) 22uf cap values.

As per Dan's message, if you have large 100uf's, cease and desist using the EML rectifier (any others we've discussed and rolled are fine).  A hypermod or cap change (i.e trip back to Amboy) is the solution, assuming you want to use the EML rectifier. 

Thanks Ted.

Just FYI on my experience...  I pulled my rectifier tube, and using a flashlight (looking through the rectifier hole with the cover on, I could easily see the "B" capacitor in your diagram.  However, given the way the cap was seated, I could not see the capacitor value (the cap value marking was facing away from me - to the left from the perspective of the front of the TP).  Luckily, with the flashlight, I could actually see a part of the "E" capacitor in your picture/diagram.  This one had the value facing my direction, and I was able to see the 22uF.  :thumb:

So, just to note that might take some peering around in there on the B and E cans to find the value marking...

Jim

JerryH

« Reply #970 on: 9 Mar 2009, 11:29 pm »
Mine is also the same, with B value not visible but a mark of 'H0652'. However, the E cap (both marked C7 on the board) was visible at 22uf.
My Hyper Drive was installed the week of Thanksgiving.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #971 on: 9 Mar 2009, 11:44 pm »
Congrat to Jim, Jerry and David.  Phil and I are SOL.   :(

And yes, "B" and "E" are twins, so if you can see the values on  "E" better, so be it (pun intended).  :)

tdangelo

« Reply #972 on: 10 Mar 2009, 12:28 am »
just checked mine and it's the 100uf version ;(  At least the Mullard GZ37(CV378) & RCA cleartop version still sounds very good ;-) 

I'm wondering if the guys that have the 100uf version like myself have actually heard what the EML is supposed to sound like - isn't the EML being over biased??  In my past experience with tube amps I can always tell when the tubes are a bit over biased - things get a bit edgy and energetic. The EML sounded really nice but it was glowing a bit, ehhehe..

any comments?
thanks
Tony

funkmonkey

« Reply #973 on: 10 Mar 2009, 01:51 am »
Looks like I got a green light for the EML with 22uF(s) mine were very hard to see but by gently moving a wire I was able to make out the 22 on the "E" cap.  But I still have to wait a month for George to get them back in stock.   :thumb:

On a side note I can't help but wonder how much we are bidding against eachother on eBay, forcing a higher price for some of these tubes.  I was bidding on a couple of pairs of signal tubes and it got tooth and nail in the last minutes, I didn't win.  No worries.  I am interested in going the 6SN7 route, but the TS round plates are ridiculously expensive.  Somebody mentioned earlier about the possibility of setting up a group buy with the Greek seller...  If there is some interest in getting back-ups or for guys like me that still haven't gone down that road yet but would like to...  It might be worth checking out.  I have no clue how to organize something like that but would be interested in participating.

Cheers-

tdangelo

« Reply #974 on: 10 Mar 2009, 11:49 am »

I'm wondering if the guys that have the 100uf version like myself have actually heard what the EML is supposed to sound like - isn't the EML being over biased??  In my past experience with tube amps I can always tell when the tubes are a bit over biased - things get a bit edgy and energetic. The EML sounded really nice but it was glowing a bit, ehhehe..

any comments?
thanks
Tony

no comments on this??  :scratch: :scratch:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #975 on: 10 Mar 2009, 12:00 pm »
No one has had his/her 100uf TP fixed yet, so we don't know if we're hearing stress.  I don't think over-biasing is what is happening here; it's just outside safe capacitance ranges.  Dunno, really, but since we've only heard the EML in our own TP's it's tough to say.  Maybe Dan can comment. 

Based on what I'm hearing now, with the TS round plates, I am firmly in the camp of the octals making a bigger difference than the EML, although clearly the combo is additive.  I may borrow an EML from another member and try the dual ones in the PS 36.5 during our forced hiatus.

tdangelo

« Reply #976 on: 10 Mar 2009, 12:02 pm »
thanks Ted ;)

Bigfish

« Reply #977 on: 10 Mar 2009, 12:24 pm »
When the messages about the caps were posted I had already left home and therefore have to deal with the uncertainty until I return home (reminds me of being a kid and wanting to know what was in the package under the Christmas Tree).  Anyway, regardless of what caps are in my Transporter I really appreciate the posts by Ted and Dan to clarify this issue.  Like all of you I really don't want to blow a $235.00 tube! 

Ken

rydenfan

« Reply #978 on: 10 Mar 2009, 12:30 pm »

Based on what I'm hearing now, with the TS round plates, I am firmly in the camp of the octals making a bigger difference than the EML, although clearly the combo is additive.  I may borrow an EML from another member and try the dual ones in the PS 36.5 during our forced hiatus.

As I have said before, I fully agree with this as well. The Tung Sols have far more impact on my system than the Rectifiers.

You are welcome to borrow my EML anytime  :D

arthurs

« Reply #979 on: 10 Mar 2009, 01:13 pm »
I'd be in for 4 in a group buy on the TS round plates...