ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

Audioclyde

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #840 on: 21 Feb 2009, 03:54 am »
I've been playing the EML mesh for the past 3-4 hours; no question its better in just about every way than my other rectifiers, including the inexpensive Russian blackplates I posted about above.  Is it worth the cost difference (which is a lot, roughly $180 difference)---to me it is without question.  I can't describe the virtues of what this tube does better (or as good) as the previous posters, but to me it just make all the music seem more 'real'--more like live music for want of a better description.  Everything is more coherent, the detail is there, but its so smooth that there seems to be no 'electronic' nature to the sound.  I'll be content with the Svet blackplate rectifiers in my amp, but the EML mesh is definitely staying in the MW Transporter!!

Randy

Berto

« Reply #841 on: 21 Feb 2009, 05:22 am »
I've been playing the EML mesh for the past 3-4 hours; no question its better in just about every way than my other rectifiers, including the inexpensive Russian blackplates I posted about above.  Is it worth the cost difference (which is a lot, roughly $180 difference)---to me it is without question.  I can't describe the virtues of what this tube does better (or as good) as the previous posters, but to me it just make all the music seem more 'real'--more like live music for want of a better description.  Everything is more coherent, the detail is there, but its so smooth that there seems to be no 'electronic' nature to the sound.  I'll be content with the Svet blackplate rectifiers in my amp, but the EML mesh is definitely staying in the MW Transporter!!

Randy

Nice to hear your enjoying the EML as much as the rest of us.  Once I read this forum I knew it must be something special to best all of previous faves.  Plus us newbies are lucky to have  the benefit of this wealth of experience, as this will be my one and only rectifier upgrade until the EML get de-throned.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #842 on: 21 Feb 2009, 12:50 pm »
Yes, that "newbie" advantage is quite nice sometimes.   :cry:      :D    Some of us bought a boatload of recitfiers only to finally settle on the EML.  Although some (my pair of metal bases) can be used on other equipment we own (my dual box 36.5) it was still quite an expensive treasure hunt.   :) 

Audioclyde

« Reply #843 on: 21 Feb 2009, 01:09 pm »
No question we've all benefited from the extensive experience and info shared in this thread, and a big "thanks" to all the gang.

I've got a whole box of various 5U4 family rectifiers; my amp uses a pair, so most of my purchases were in tuberolling for it.  The EML is the first what I would call 'high dollar' rectifier I've bought--and I'm glad I spent the bucks.

I've just rolled the 6h30 DR's into the 'pre' position and put my Tung Sol blackplate 6cg7's in the MW Transporter--seems the Tung Sols give me a bit more warmth and I'm liking this combination quite a bit.  Still can't wait to get some of the octal adaptors and roll in various 6sn7's....I've got the Tung Sol round plates in my amp (it uses a pair of 6SN7's also), but I think they are destined for the MW Transporter  :P.  I've always been very fond of the Ken Rad VT-231's too, so those will get a try and likely end up in the amp if indeed the TS round plates find a 'permanent' home in the Transporter.

Again, thanks to all of you 'veteran' tuberollers for sharing lots of great info.

Randy

rydenfan

« Reply #844 on: 21 Feb 2009, 01:12 pm »
Yes, that "newbie" advantage is quite nice sometimes.   :cry:      :D    Some of us bought a boatload of recitfiers only to finally settle on the EML.  Although some (my pair of metal bases) can be used on other equipment we own (my dual box 36.5) it was still quite an expensive treasure hunt.   :) 

I know the feeling  :duh:  :wink:

Philistine

« Reply #845 on: 21 Feb 2009, 02:22 pm »

Randy

Randy, so far we've got 100% confirmation on the EML 5U4G being the optimum rectifier tube in the TP - it appears to have synergy in every system and with all signal tube variations, furthermore its available, it's new production and it has a guarantee .  The only downside is the height, which will prevent some owners not being able to physically fit it into their TP, and buyers may have to wait a few weeks for George to replenish his inventory.
I've been trying to articulate what the EML brings to the TP, as it does sound completely different to vinyl and digital - the only description I can come up with is live and organic.

When I recall the 6 Moons rave review of the TP - this was based on a standard MW TP with a Tung Sol 5U4G and 6N1P's.
Now we have: Hyper-Drive, Bybees, EML 5U4G and 6SN7's - I think this combination would blow the reviewed TP out of the water.   

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #846 on: 21 Feb 2009, 02:30 pm »
Randy, so far we've got 100% confirmation on the EML 5U4G being the optimum rectifier tube in the TP - it appears to have synergy in every system and with all signal tube variations, furthermore its available, it's new production and it has a guarantee .  The only downside is the height, which will prevent some owners not being able to physically fit it into their TP, and buyers may have to wait a few weeks for George to replenish his inventory.
I've been trying to articulate what the EML brings to the TP, as it does sound completely different to vinyl and digital - the only description I can come up with is live and organic.

When I recall the 6 Moons rave review of the TP - this was based on a standard MW TP with a Tung Sol 5U4G and 6N1P's.
Now we have: Hyper-Drive, Bybees, EML 5U4G and 6SN7's - I think this combination would blow the reviewed TP out of the water.   

Phil,

I "only" have the 6SN7's (the outstanding Tung Sol NOS Black Glass Round Plates) and I am using a BEL GZ34 5AR4 (1970s NOS) as my rectifier,  but I still I totally agree with you Phil.  What I am getting right now is the best digital playback I have ever had in ANY of my systems.   :thumb:

I can only imagine how much better it will get as I continue to make improvements.

George

Berto

« Reply #847 on: 21 Feb 2009, 10:20 pm »

Phil,

I "only" have the 6SN7's (the outstanding Tung Sol NOS Black Glass Round Plates) and I am using a BEL GZ34 5AR4 (1970s NOS) as my rectifier,  but I still I totally agree with you Phil.  What I am getting right now is the best digital playback I have ever had in ANY of my systems.   :thumb:

I can only imagine how much better it will get as I continue to make improvements.

George

Wow I'm a week or so away from TS round 6SN7s (hoping the octal adaptor god is listening) and EML, and will have a well broken in MWTP by then.
   So I'm listening to a perfect GD soundbard from 2-11-69 from the Fillmore west and although sounds great I'm wondering how much more "real" can it get with that combo. :drool:
   I've only left my listening room to eat and use the bathroom today, now that's a good day :D

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #848 on: 21 Feb 2009, 10:23 pm »

I've only left my listening room to eat and use the bathroom today, now that's a good day :D

Once the EML and octal combo arrives you'll be needing to brush up on The Aviator...Howard Hughes-ing it.  Save up those empty bottles now while you have the time.   :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #849 on: 21 Feb 2009, 10:37 pm »
Ted, George and David should have received the latest version of the Octal adapters today.

Hopefully none of them has caused their Transporter to explode  :o

If the guys like them, I should be able to have a small amount ready to ship in around a week.

If they hate them... back to the drawing board  :oops:

Mine arrived yesterday and I will try them tonight.

Thanks Wayne.

George

Well the new adapters have been running since yesterday and sound spectacular (just like the previous version I was using).

I haven't had time to do an A/B with the previous version, but if there is a difference, it is pretty subtle as nothing is jumping out at me.

Build quality is excellent, with both the adapters and tubes fitting very snugly.

I think you can start making them available Wayne.   :thumb:

George

Bigfish

« Reply #850 on: 22 Feb 2009, 10:59 pm »
The whole thing is beautiful: the tube, the packaging, etc. but it will take a bit of getting used to.

David:

Please tell us your thoughts of the sound of the EML with the 6SN7s. 

My 6SN7s on on the way! :thumb:

Ken

You know I will  :wink: I am going to put at least 75 hours on it before I really listen to it though (at least that is what I am telling myself).

Hey David, any comments on the sound of the EML Mesh or are you still letting it break in?

Ken

JG2

« Reply #851 on: 23 Feb 2009, 03:01 am »
What does it mean when you start buying tubes (VT -231 in particular) with no audio component in your system that takes that tube?

Is it simply that you like musty 60+ year old smoked glass bottles that cost a lot of $$$ or could there be a MWTP in your future?

« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2009, 04:15 pm by JG2 »

cfchew

« Reply #852 on: 23 Feb 2009, 04:30 am »
Hi all,

I am new to this thread.  I purchased a MW Transporter from another owner a few months ago and have been delving also into tube rolling, following many other previous posters' suggestions regarding the rectifier and signal tubes.  I never had original stock MW tubes so have been using various others.  But i've been making up for lost time, and read up over the past 43+ pages of tube rolling experience.

I sent my unit in about a month ago to have fully upgraded/power supply platinum mods, Bybees.  Made an immediate big noticeable difference, with more solid aural images/soundstage and better bass.  That was well worth it.

Tubes I've tried:

Rectifier: Raytheon 5U4G black plate - kind of nice but a bit too dark sounding, lacks dynamics
             Metal base GZ34 - better in every way, but now not my preference, after awhile noticed seemed to be a bit tubby/inflated sounding, not quite so natural
             Tung Sol 5U4GB - my favorite out of these three, not as dynamic as metal base but has at least as big a soundstage and mids/voice sound more natural to me.  Only paid $10 shipped from Ebay seller.
             EML 5U4G - just received from Tubes USA this weekend, now has about 10 hrs. on it so far.  Obviously the best sounding of all, great huge soundstage, natural sounding, images great, best of everything... worth the money.  Sounded better than the first three right out of the box.

Signal tubes:  6H30-DR  nice sound, musical but seems to be less detailed sounding than the subsequent tubes I've used, also gain very low, at least 6-8 dB lower than 6CG7, much lower than 6N1P
                   6CG7, RCA clear top, RCA black plates  - I liked both of these tubes, the clear tops seemed more extended in treble, black plates had nicer/more textured midrange
                  6N1P - I bought a couple pairs from Ebay from somewhere in Russia, they were 1980 vintage 6N1P-EV with rocket logo from Voskhod tube facility.  They were cheap compared to above tubes.  Turns out I like these the best of all.  High gain, very detailed, accurate top to bottom.  I read people complain that they are edgy/fatiguing but I don't notice anything but clear, detailed good sound that is very present.  I have also purchased a set of 10 used 6N1P-V from the 1960's also from a Russian seller for about $20 shipped, hasn't arrived yet, will try these also.

Overall I could live with cheaper tubes, Tung Sol 5U4GB and 6N1P's actually seemed to be my preference, until the EML 5U4G came, now it the monster rectifier with 6N1P-EV's.

I'm also going to try to get a pair of the Octal adapters when Wayne/Bolder make them available, to try out some 6SN7s.  I have some nice Sylvnia 6SN7W tubes which have been used in my BAT amp, and have a set of TS Round Plates coming from the Ebay seller in Greece.

My system is all tubes, MW Transporter, Audio Research Ref 3 preamp, BAT VK-75SE amp with Dynaudio C1 monitors and a sub.  I have a pair of Merlin VSM-MXe on the way also which were going to be my last pair of speakers, although the C1's sound really great.

sorry for the long first post

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #853 on: 23 Feb 2009, 05:24 am »
Cfchew,
Welcome to Audio Circle, and welcome to the Modwright Transporter family!!! 

Great first post, and great system.  I agree that if your system synergy is such that the inexpensive and high gain 6N1P's sound great then go for it!! With an all-tube signal path I can only imagine how nice the 6N1P's integrate and provide a perfect balance.  They are so detailed and alive; I simply found them a bit too harsh, but that's because of the rest of my system and room.  I need to constantly keep an eye on my system sounding too analytical.  The warmth and organic nature of the EML and 6SN7s fit me to a tee.  But I bought that set of 6N1P's too, cuz I think if other parts of my system were to change down the road then they would be a great alternative.  I love their detail.

Philistine

« Reply #854 on: 23 Feb 2009, 12:55 pm »
Hi all,

I am new to this thread.  I purchased a MW Transporter from another owner a few months ago and have been delving also into tube rolling, following many other previous posters' suggestions regarding the rectifier and signal tubes.  I never had original stock MW tubes so have been using various others.  But i've been making up for lost time, and read up over the past 43+ pages of tube rolling experience.

I sent my unit in about a month ago to have fully upgraded/power supply platinum mods, Bybees.  Made an immediate big noticeable difference, with more solid aural images/soundstage and better bass.  That was well worth it.

Tubes I've tried:

Rectifier: Raytheon 5U4G black plate - kind of nice but a bit too dark sounding, lacks dynamics
             Metal base GZ34 - better in every way, but now not my preference, after awhile noticed seemed to be a bit tubby/inflated sounding, not quite so natural
             Tung Sol 5U4GB - my favorite out of these three, not as dynamic as metal base but has at least as big a soundstage and mids/voice sound more natural to me.  Only paid $10 shipped from Ebay seller.
             EML 5U4G - just received from Tubes USA this weekend, now has about 10 hrs. on it so far.  Obviously the best sounding of all, great huge soundstage, natural sounding, images great, best of everything... worth the money.  Sounded better than the first three right out of the box.

Signal tubes:  6H30-DR  nice sound, musical but seems to be less detailed sounding than the subsequent tubes I've used, also gain very low, at least 6-8 dB lower than 6CG7, much lower than 6N1P
                   6CG7, RCA clear top, RCA black plates  - I liked both of these tubes, the clear tops seemed more extended in treble, black plates had nicer/more textured midrange
                  6N1P - I bought a couple pairs from Ebay from somewhere in Russia, they were 1980 vintage 6N1P-EV with rocket logo from Voskhod tube facility.  They were cheap compared to above tubes.  Turns out I like these the best of all.  High gain, very detailed, accurate top to bottom.  I read people complain that they are edgy/fatiguing but I don't notice anything but clear, detailed good sound that is very present.  I have also purchased a set of 10 used 6N1P-V from the 1960's also from a Russian seller for about $20 shipped, hasn't arrived yet, will try these also.

Overall I could live with cheaper tubes, Tung Sol 5U4GB and 6N1P's actually seemed to be my preference, until the EML 5U4G came, now it the monster rectifier with 6N1P-EV's.

I'm also going to try to get a pair of the Octal adapters when Wayne/Bolder make them available, to try out some 6SN7s.  I have some nice Sylvnia 6SN7W tubes which have been used in my BAT amp, and have a set of TS Round Plates coming from the Ebay seller in Greece.

My system is all tubes, MW Transporter, Audio Research Ref 3 preamp, BAT VK-75SE amp with Dynaudio C1 monitors and a sub.  I have a pair of Merlin VSM-MXe on the way also which were going to be my last pair of speakers, although the C1's sound really great.

A second welcome - to a fellow 6N1P lover!
I too love the detail of the 6N1P and I'm the one that finds them a little fatiguing after a few days (just a little hardness to the sound)
What is very similar to the 6N1P, and mates well with the EML, is the 6N6P and can be found for a few $ each!
Definitely worth trying :thumb:

Here's the link Thalvor posted:
http://www.lampizator.eu/UPGRADE/upgrade%20noval%20tubes%20to%206H6P.html

rydenfan

« Reply #855 on: 23 Feb 2009, 02:26 pm »
The whole thing is beautiful: the tube, the packaging, etc. but it will take a bit of getting used to.

David:

Please tell us your thoughts of the sound of the EML with the 6SN7s. 

My 6SN7s on on the way! :thumb:

Ken

You know I will  :wink: I am going to put at least 75 hours on it before I really listen to it though (at least that is what I am telling myself).

Hey David, any comments on the sound of the EML Mesh or are you still letting it break in?

Ken

Ken, I will have more comments next weekend as my 36.5 will be back to me towards the end of the week and then I will have a better baseline to compare it with. I will say that I do like the EML very much right now but for me the move to the 6SN7's was a bigger sonic leap than from my HW GZ37 to the EML. I reserve the right to completely change this opinion  :wink:

Berto

« Reply #856 on: 23 Feb 2009, 05:25 pm »
Hi all,

Tubes I've tried:

Hi Cfchew, Welcome!
       Thats great your really enjoying your MWTP. I also have a all tube system as a matter of fact w/the Merlin Towers as well. And now you got me thinking about those 6N1Ps, esp since you like them so much and there real inexpensive. Might PM you later to see if you wanna sell and extra pair for me to try out.  Not sure how your current speakers sound compared to Merlins but the Merlins are very detailed and IMO have a more forward sounding tweeter, so wondering now how the 6N1P's will mesh with them.  Happy Rolling! :D

Philistine

« Reply #857 on: 24 Feb 2009, 10:03 pm »
I've been running 6SN7's for just under a week now, and ready to post my initial feedback.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the signal tube selection is all down to personal taste and system synergy.  My system comprises Salk HT3's, I consider these to be extremely neutral and capable of fast deep bass, neutral midrange and an open/airy top end - not perfect but no speaker is (for example I find the soundstage is too flat).  My amp is a highly modified Musical Fidelity KW500, the mods have deepened the bass, improved the mid-range and smoothed out the top end (not restricted it), all this means is I can go louder without realizing it.  To put this in perspective others, that have compared my amp, find it warmer than the Modwright house sound.  So I'm not looking for any mid-range warming in my system but looking for a tube that doesn't change the bass or mids and possibly extends the top end detail, as this is my personal preference and the smoothness of the amp/neutrality of the speakers can accommodate it.

What does this mean - I like 6N1P's/6N6P's and have turned my back on 6H30 DR's, unfortunately I found the 6N1P's a touch on the hard side with the 6N6P's having similar detail and potentially less harsh?  Enter the EML, which added an organic element, and I was sitting back enjoying the EML/6N6P combination and going to give it a few weeks to get my long term reaction to it.  This was not to be, enter the 6SN7's  :duh:  Putting in a pair of new production Tung Sol 6SN7 I noticed something different, maybe a more dimensional soundstage (lacking with my HT3's) and it didn't appear to lose the 6N6P detail but did sound a little coarse and unrefined.  Jumping next to the Tung Sol round plate 6SN7's, they have the same family sound as the new production version without the coarseness, the difference isn't huge, but is significant.  I think I could actually live with the new one in the short/medium term, but based on past experience, the round plate should possibly be less fatiguing over the long term.

Today - I've warmed up and tried 6N1P/6N6P/6SN7's.
The 6N6P's have been eliminated, on the basis of not being as detailed as 6N1P's or 6SN7's.
It's now a choice between the 6N1P's and the Tung Sol round plate 6SN7's, at the moment I feel the 6SN7's are going to be better to live with long term. I need to give them a few more days/weeks.  I should also add that the 6N1P's are not the ones Dan sends but are the older version that cfchew referred to in his first post, these are slightly superior to the new ones (not the same night and day as moving from the 6H30's to the 6H30DR's, but enough to notice a difference).

My findings differ slightly from those already posted, again I feel this goes back to synergy/personal preference I inferred to at the beginning of this post.  In my system, the EML rectifier tube has had more impact than the 6SN7's, the 6SN7's are more of a fine tuning. 

At this stage I reserve the right to change my opinion!  These are my initial reactions after 6 days, I normally allow a couple of weeks before making a final judgment on tubes.

After all this the MWTP is a phenomenal source, the tube rolling just allows us to fine tune it and support the global economy.

Phil

Audioclyde

« Reply #858 on: 26 Feb 2009, 11:55 pm »
Hi all,

Wayne any news on the adaptors becoming available?

Thanks!

Berto

« Reply #859 on: 27 Feb 2009, 12:56 am »
Hi all,

Wayne any news on the adaptors becoming available?

Thanks!

I just called him an hour ago and he said they are still a week or so away from becoming availible.  Which for me works ok b/c I'm real busy rolling Tubes on my Captiole amp (thx to this forum, ive really researched tubes and the amp is starting to sing like never before) so two weeks gives me time to get that straightened out.
 Just another toy/sound improvement to look forward too. Im just happy my amp takes a quad of 6SN7s and auto biases them , just gonna be interesting to see if I go all same NOS 6SN7s in amp and TP compared to mixing and matching which I assume will give me best results for fine tuning. TBD!
 Chances are at the end of the day I will have some good tubes to sell since Im searching world over for best synergy in my system. At least the NOS tube market is still bullish esp if you do some DD and buy sharp.