Original Subwoofer driver upgrade

tbrooke

Original Subwoofer driver upgrade
« on: 26 Jan 2021, 01:19 pm »
I have a pair of the original subwoofers with the 12 inch driver and 15 inch paasive. They are about 20 years old and fine. But I keep seeing the new subwoofers and have listened to some and they ssem to have more impact than mine.

I know it is probably more complicated than this but I have noticed that Parts Express has a wide array of 12 inch subwoofer drivers. I was wondering if I could get one of their high performance drivers like the:  https://www.parts-express.com/CSS-SDX12-XBL2-12-Subwoofer-290-3006.

Can I drop this or something like it in?

GeorgeAb

Re: Original Subwoofer driver upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2021, 08:26 pm »
I have experience with VMPS Subwoofers and the new modern massive 40lb high excursion motors, but have not married the two together. I am really impressed and happy with the modern drivers in a SVS SB-4000 subwoofer I recently purchased. That said, if I did not require another subwoofer I would have stuck with my VMPS Sub in the my home theater environment. It worked well enough for the application. Brian did an exceptional job on his subs with large enclosures, and passive driver to smooth out edges. So he got a lot of performance and refinement out of a moderately priced driver. The newer large motor dives deep, effortlessly, and sounds exceptionally natural. Definitely goes lower than VMPS with no break up at high SPL’s, so ideal for home theater. So my experience with modern drivers is very positive, but it is in a subwoofer designed for its use. I would not foresee any integration issues, and one would expect deeper more controlled lowest frequencies, but you will not really know until you do it.

If you go for it, please post how it comes out.  I have two VMPS subwoofers I use in my two channel setup (require two due to low end limits of VMPS RM-V60 speakers) and would consider upgrading to the large motor driver. Really never thought about it until you posted so thanks.   

Jstower

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2021, 11:30 pm »
You will probably have to replace the passive radiator also. I don’t think it will handle the new high excursion driver.

You would be better off to use the old Vmps subwoofer in the back of your room, and build or buy a subwoofer kit, with 2 12” passives, or 1 12” & 1 15” passive to handle the driver

What are you driving your subs with now? You will probably need more power to drive the massive driver,
 A Crown  XLS 2000 or 2500 amp should do it

https://www.css-audio.com/online-store/SDX12-and-Dual-APR12-Passive-Radiator-Kit-p112666755

Good luck

tbrooke

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2021, 12:37 am »
I was looking to get an SVS-3000 and also looking at some of the Parts Express Subwoofers when I thought that I have a perfectly good enclosure. I'm not an action movie fan so I don't need it to knock my socks off but still I do like some impact, occasionally. I'm using a pair of RM-30s for my front channels and an old 626 for the center.

I am running the subwoofers with a Behringer EP-2500. I did think I would probably have to replace the passive radiators.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2021, 12:50 am »

IMHO get a 12 inch sub with a ported cabinet. You don't have to spend a LOT of $$$$$$ to get good results.
    I've done business with parts express and I highly reccomend them. Of course there are audioholics that
    do not agree with me.

Cheers
                                                                    Charlie