More new CDWG information

John Casler

More new CDWG information
« on: 16 May 2011, 08:50 pm »
Many have been asking what VMPS Speakers the new CDWG's can be applied to.

When Brian first told me of the CDWG idea it was slightly different than it final iteration.  I won't disclose those differences as they may also be employed in future designs and or patents.

Then later as he was writing the patent and working more on the design, he mentioned a Wave Guide similar to what we are now seeing.

But, when looking for an actual method to add the Wave Guide he used a full sized acoustic lens (apature) that eventually morphed into a CDWG that replaced the speaker grill.

While an elegant and attractive solution, the manufacture of these large CDWG's was quite difficult as they needed to be light and thin, and precise as to their dimensions.  They also needed to fit as the speaker grill had previously.

But they had their limitations (like weight, fit, and occasional warping if in a high humidity environment) and B, not one to let moss grow below his feet, went back to his original idea of constructing the CDWG to be light weight  and attach to the Drivers themselves to allow a grill to be placed over the whole assembly if so desired.

Thus today's CDWG.

This created additional applicablity to previously barren models.

So the NEW CDWGs can be used with the following OLD VMPS speaker models to an excellent result:

VMPS Large Ribbon Center:  Due to the orientation of the Neopanel on this speaker making a CDWG as we did in the inital phases was impossible.  However with the new CDWGs, all of you who have LRC's can add the new CDWGs.

VMPS Ribbon Dipole Surround:  This is one speaker that might have the most to gain from using the New CDWG.  Since general Surround Sound is best deployed and created to cover a large area of dispersion, using the CDWG on these will improve them beyond their original design

VMPS RM2:  Since tooling up to manufacture the "grill type" CDWGs was costly and the RM2 while a remarkable speaker is not produced in the same volume as the RM40 and the RM30, we didn't have the volume to invest in producing a CDWG for it.  Well things have changed :thumb:.  All you past, and present RM2 owners can now outfit your RM2's with the latest and greatest from VMPS.

So to all you VMPS owners with the above, or any of the panel based speakers get in line for your CDWG's.

Shear Bliss

Re: More new CDWG information
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2011, 08:59 pm »
Hello Mr. Casler,
                    Please dont forget the RM-1 or Stand mount monitor crowd. Ordered the new CDWG"s from Brian for my RM-1s which I affixed with dbl sided glue strips. I used U-glu strips to great affect, another brand fell off faster than I could place.
My RM-1s have the Mega Woofers, thanks again Brian. I only listened to them a couple hours.

First impression is more midrange articulation, clearer presentation, but also let me know I have the bass set a little fatter than I thought, so pinch-pinch-pinch. Spiral Ribbon sounds wonderfully clean, crisp as it always has. I may notice a bigger difference once I dial the Megas back. Interested to see how the soundstage and depth change/improve in my 20x13 room.

PS: Brian what happened to my CD ??? I offered to buy, you said you would ship one out free. I do want one.

Sincerely, DW

Pez

« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2011, 10:10 pm »
Can it be used on my older VMPS subs???

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2011, 08:33 pm »
Can it be used on my older VMPS subs???

If you add some tweets and Neopanels to it, yessireebob

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2011, 08:35 pm »
Hello Mr. Casler,
                    Please dont forget the RM-1 or Stand mount monitor crowd. Ordered the new CDWG"s from Brian for my RM-1s which I affixed with dbl sided glue strips. I used U-glu strips to great affect, another brand fell off faster than I could place.
My RM-1s have the Mega Woofers, thanks again Brian. I only listened to them a couple hours.

First impression is more midrange articulation, clearer presentation, but also let me know I have the bass set a little fatter than I thought, so pinch-pinch-pinch. Spiral Ribbon sounds wonderfully clean, crisp as it always has. I may notice a bigger difference once I dial the Megas back. Interested to see how the soundstage and depth change/improve in my 20x13 room.

PS: Brian what happened to my CD ??? I offered to buy, you said you would ship one out free. I do want one.

Sincerely, DW

Ah, yes the RM-1.  :thumb:

I bet it sounds wonderful :green: