[b]Choosing between the RM30 and RM40 - Need some advice[/b]

john1970

I have a 12 x 12 x 8 listening room that is half of a living room.  My listening position is 9 feet back from the speakers with the speakers ~5 feet apart.  I am looking to purchase either the RM30s or RM40s in the next 1-2 months and need some advice on which is best given my current setup.  I have auditioned the RM30s with Scott Mayo and was impressed by their sound.  However, I have not auditioned a pair of RM40s and there are no RM40 owners within 100 miles of Boston.  

Any advice that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.  I plan to listen to this speaker for the next 30+ years.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2006, 03:25 am »
I think RM30s fit your bill for the current room better.  If you are planning on moving in few years that will result in a bigger room, you can make RM40s work in your current room.  If no moves are planned, I think the 30s make more sense.

warnerwh

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2006, 05:24 am »
That woodsyi is a smart guy, my thoughts exactly.  Remember the room treatment!

john1970

Thanks for the advice - One more question
« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2006, 03:07 am »
Woodsyi and warnerwh,

Thanks for the advice.  I am leaning towards the RM30s as well because 32 Hz (-3 dB) is good enough for music purposes and I can always purchase an inexpensive and used sub for HT Theater.  I don't want to use a sub for stereo because in my experience the frequency integration of the sub with speakers is never as smooth as a dedicated full-range speaker.  

If you had to choose only 1 upgrade for the RM30 speaker which would it be?  I am considering the MLS cabient that offers thicker sides and baffles over the standard cabinet.  Please let me know if one of the other options offers a better sonic investment.

My other option is not get the upgraded RM30s and HT sub and go directly to the stock RM40s.  At courtesy discounts the price difference would not be much.

Do you know of anyone that use the RM40s as a subwoofer for their HT system (i.e., play the LFE through the RM40s)?  Do you recommend it?  Thank you again for your advice.

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2006, 03:26 am »
you need to buy my RM40s....  :lol:

John Casler

Re: Thanks for the advice - One more question
« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2006, 03:49 am »
Quote from: john1970
Woodsyi and warnerwh,

Thanks for the advice.  I am leaning towards the RM30s as well because 32 Hz (-3 dB) is good enough for music purposes and I can always purchase an inexpensive and used sub for HT Theater.  I don't want to use a sub for stereo because in my experience the frequency integration of the sub with speakers is never as smooth as a dedicated full-range speaker.  

The flexibility of having the RM30s and placing the (a) sub would likely yield a better result.

Both RM40 and RM30 integrate well with the VMPS subs.

I use 4 LARGERS with my RM30s and most who have heard it, will tell you it is seemless, and does not call attention to itself.

I "LOVE" big speakers and lust after some "African Ebony" RM40s in a Brian Cheney Signature Edition, but the RM30s fill my 20 x 30 room and will play louder than most can stand.

john1970

Purcahsed RM40s
« Reply #6 on: 6 Mar 2006, 02:10 am »
To all,

I went with a pair of RM40s (a better long term investment and takes up less floor space than the RM30s + a sub).  Please see my other post.

Thanks,

John