Yahoooo! MLS VMPS cabinets now shipping

John Casler

« Reply #20 on: 19 May 2004, 02:31 am »
Quote from: TheeeChosenOne
John,
Can you clarify something.  

Looking closely at your pics, it seems upon close inspection that the woofer is a little sunk into the hole, as if the hole cut-out is a teensy too wide in diameter.   See the whiteness of the wood contrasted with the woof?.......

The new 6.5 megawoofs don't have the same metal surround as the stock units.  The light color is not the wood it is some kind of reflection from the gasket used to seal the woofer and is not visible except in flash photos

shauk786

« Reply #21 on: 24 May 2004, 07:37 am »
This is my first time posting in the audiocircle forum. My New VMPS / MLS speakers ( first shipment ) have now been set up since yesterday. In one sentence, I would say they are really breathtaking just to look at.

My current system:
Front: BCSE RM-40s
Surrounds: 626R ( same options as John Casler's above)
Subwoofer: VMPS Larger with megawoofer

Receiver: YAMAHA RX-Z9
AMP: Cinenova Grande.

I am still undecided on the center channel ( LRC or RM30C )

I do not know yet how to display pictures, however I have uploaded pics in the gallery under Shauk786 Music System ( Page 22 )

I am thoroughly enjoying them and at the same time would like to thank John Casler for his utmost professionalism and help since the time I ordered the speakers. I thoroughly appreciate his time driving out here to set them up ( from breaking the crates to fine tuning the setup in my listening room ) and I really enjoyed his visit very much and reiterate how a great guy he is. Thanks John.

Regards,
Shauk786

John Casler

« Reply #22 on: 24 May 2004, 11:09 pm »
It was my pleasure to help you get and set up your system, my friend and please, (once again) tell your wife that her Indian Food, was fabulous and she can tell all her single girlfriends about me  :lol:

Here are some of the pictures you were trying to post

1) MLS RM40s still in their cocoons

2) Brian Cheney Signature Edition in MLS Rosewood (TRT/FST/Analysis Plus)

3) Your front wall (Acoustic Treatment is next)

4) MLS Rosewood 626Rs on Skylan 24" stands

F-100

« Reply #23 on: 24 May 2004, 11:13 pm »
Beautiful speakers... Love that exotic wood. :)

F-100

« Reply #24 on: 24 May 2004, 11:14 pm »
Beautiful speakers... Love that exotic wood. :)

pjchappy

« Reply #25 on: 24 May 2004, 11:39 pm »
WOW!  :o

VERY nice!!!

I'm jealous.  :|

As for center channel, w/ the RM-40s as your mains, from everything I have read, I would go w/ the RM-30c.

p

John Casler

« Reply #26 on: 25 May 2004, 02:16 am »
Hey Guys,

Talk about a "supportive" spouse.  That room used to be "the" Master bedroom :o

pjchappy

« Reply #27 on: 25 May 2004, 02:30 am »
By the way, all you need now for your room, Shauk, is ME in sitting where the picture was taken from.   :wink:

p

shauk786

« Reply #28 on: 25 May 2004, 04:03 am »
John,

Thanks for posting the pictures. they do look and sound fantastic. My friend and his wife came over that night and were amazed at the sound. He told me that he had never heard that Jimmy Hendrix song on the reference cut cd that good before.

As far as the indian food, you can come by any time :mrgreen: and that matchmaking thing still holds  :lol:

my wife had no idea about the size of these speakers, but simply loves them now and what better place to put them other than our master bedroom :o

I can't wait until these speakers fully break in.

pjchappy, I am leaning more towards the rm-30c as the center channel and if you were closer, you could be be sitting at that position right now :wink:

Regards,

Shauk786

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #29 on: 25 May 2004, 04:10 am »
Sorry to possibly take away a sale from John, but in that size room (it doesn't look very wide from the photos) I am not sure you need a center.

I am currently running without a center in a room that is 25x18x7 and the people who aren't perfectly centered still get very good imaging and don't feel that the system is comprimised.

Just my two cents.

George

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 25 May 2004, 05:38 am »
Man, they look nice in that finish!

ctviggen

« Reply #31 on: 25 May 2004, 12:21 pm »
Could you even fit an RM30C on its side in there?  In my system, my R/L speakers will be about 10-12 feet apart.  They can't be closer than 8 feet or so, as my RPTV and matching stand take up that space.  

Those are nice looking -- makes me wish I'd have ordered another finish other than Piano Black (although my RPTV and stand are both very black finishes, so Piano Black goes with them).

shauk786

« Reply #32 on: 25 May 2004, 08:03 pm »
Bob,

If I were to put a center channel, I would put a standing up rm30 in the middle between the two stands. I currently have a projector at the back that projects on the empty wall between the rm40s.

Shauk786

ctviggen

« Reply #33 on: 25 May 2004, 09:26 pm »
Ah, that makes sense.  If you have room, you could put it on its side, angled upward.  I'm going to put mine on my RPTV/matching stand, although I'll not initially angle it at all (but I will put in on isolators so that hopefully the TV won't shake apart).

WG

« Reply #34 on: 25 May 2004, 10:05 pm »
I have read several different times about using the RM30 horizontally as a center.  Possibly this is working out, but my concern is loss due to drop off from the normal vertical ends of the ribbons.  This may not be so much of an issue with the mid-range panels, since there are 3 of them, but wouldn't the FST tweeter be compromised due to short length and position on the cabinet?  

Regards,
Will

Marbles

« Reply #35 on: 25 May 2004, 10:18 pm »
I have noticed no drop off with the RM30 in the Horizontal position.

Maybe it is because the FST is rotated 90 degrees?

I have tried a single 626 (w/FST) and it could not keep up with the 40's.

With the RM30C horizontal, the sound is blended into the RM40's so well it is very difficult to tell where one drops off and the other begins.

So far everyone who has a RM30 and RM40's for fronts love them...don't know why you guys keep over analyzing it   :?

WG

« Reply #36 on: 25 May 2004, 11:01 pm »
Marbles,

I had not caught the ability to change tweeter orientation till you responded.  That option makes more sense to me.

Regards,
Will

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #37 on: 25 May 2004, 11:06 pm »
Rob,

Can you run a little experiment and describe how things sound with the center off?

I am pretty happy not running a center right now, but I am always curious if it can be better.

No rush, on the request (thanks in advance).

george

John Casler

« Reply #38 on: 25 May 2004, 11:16 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen

Those are nice looking -- makes me wish I'd have ordered another finish other than Piano Black (although my RPTV and stand are both very black finishes, so Piano Black goes with them).

I think B, said you will be getting a pair of the MLS Piano Black.  I think you will be "very" happy with them.

Be sure and send some pics in once they are in place, as I haven't seen that finish from Mark yet.

It is supposed to be spectacular, as are the Piano Black from Dorne Dibble, which match the RM/x.

Marbles

« Reply #39 on: 25 May 2004, 11:27 pm »
Quote from: zybar
Rob,

Can you run a little experiment and describe how things sound with the center off?

I am pretty happy not running a center right now, but I am always curious if it can be better.

No rush, on the request (thanks in advance).

george

No problem, any particular movies you want me to use?  

Do you want me to be dead center, or off center, or both?