Are there any fans of Musicals here?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Are there any fans of Musicals here?
« on: 26 Jun 2023, 01:44 am »
Wife and I went to see a local production of  "Sweeny Todd. the Demon Barber of Fleet Street" last night. 
It's a musical that we both like, and have a copy of the movie version.  Steven Sondheim writes complicated songs that are difficult to sing, so we had reserved expectations.  The vocalist were all excellent, acting mostly good or better.   
The director made some odd choices, and my wife was a theater teacher and stage performer for many decades... she wasn't kind in her after show comments.  But overall, when I see a local show that mostly works, that's a win. 
If you're not familiar with this, find the movie and watch it.  Sondheim is an acquire taste, but his stuff is almost always entertaining.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Are there any fans of Musicals here?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2023, 02:00 am »
Nice!

Yes, I also like musicals.  Watched Les Miserables a few weeks ago here in Denver.

S Clark

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2023, 02:07 am »
Nice!

Yes, I also like musicals.  Watched Les Miserables a few weeks ago here in Denver.
One of my absolute favorites!  Saw it in London years ago with my daughter.  Definitely a show that has extra meaning for Fathers and Daughters. 
I'm a bit jealous of your location.  Denver is large enough to have a surplus of local talent, and an audience large enough to attract Broadway cast productions. 
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2023, 04:09 am by S Clark »

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2023, 04:09 am »
I've been to a few. Best I saw (or at least most entertaining) was The Book Of Mormon. Definitely not everyone's cup of tea but I enjoyed it. I'd just recommend not watching it with your in-laws like I did...  :lol:

S Clark

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2023, 04:12 am »
I've not had an opportunity to see that, but it's one I hope to get to one day. 

CSI

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2023, 10:50 pm »
When I was growing up, my big sister was a huge fan of musicals. Brigadoon came out and her High School staged it. I've always loved the music. Most people recognize, "Almost Like Being In Love" but my favorite has always been, "The Heather on the Hill".

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jun 2023, 11:45 pm »
I have seen Mamma Mia musical twice in Toronto.I absolutely loved the both shows.

Saturn94

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2023, 01:33 am »
I've been to a few. Best I saw (or at least most entertaining) was The Book Of Mormon. Definitely not everyone's cup of tea but I enjoyed it. I'd just recommend not watching it with your in-laws like I did...  :lol:

We loved Book of Mormon and recently saw it for the second time.  I was surprised my mother wanted to go; she loved it!

We also recently saw Jesus Christ Super Star.  Wow, there was some incredible vocal talent in that touring company!

Other memorable shows we’ve seen over the years are Phantom of the Opera, Fiddler on the Roof, Mamma Mia (love the live musical, hate the movie!), The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (love the live musical and the movie!), and A Chorus Line.

S Clark

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2023, 12:48 pm »
,,, The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (love the live musical and the movie!), ...
The gal that wrote the music to Whorehouse was a friend of mine, Carol Hall.  We would be sitting at the table after dinner, sipping whatever. She would pop up and say "I feel like a song", and would go to the piano and start to sing.  She's very missed. 

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jun 2023, 02:07 pm »
Hi, it's not rocket science but that's where the music is...in musicals.Some time ago I bought the Wicked. Sonically it sounds better than anything else I've had.Great stuff. The best musical for a sound test cd I have found is Tarzan. It's not the Phil Collins Disney track but the musical with Phil Collins with the same songs. ...Mark Korda

AllanS

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jun 2023, 01:27 am »
Love ‘em.  Probably my favorite form of live entertainment.  Our one indulgence is season tickets to a local theatre that hosts 7 to 8 touring shows per season.  We got very lucky 10 years or so ago and landed 4th row seats we’ll never give up.

Saturn94

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jun 2023, 04:11 am »
Hi, it's not rocket science but that's where the music is...in musicals.Some time ago I bought the Wicked. Sonically it sounds better than anything else I've had.Great stuff. The best musical for a sound test cd I have found is Tarzan. It's not the Phil Collins Disney track but the musical with Phil Collins with the same songs. ...Mark Korda

This one?