MCS, Rega and Norman Labs vintage system

mflaming

MCS, Rega and Norman Labs vintage system
« on: 1 Jan 2022, 10:58 pm »
I finally have an occasion to post to this page! I’ve recently acquired a MCS 3223 receiver from a thrift store for $17. I connected it to a pair of Norman Labs model 7s that I got last year for $40.

I’m running a Rega P2 that I paid full retail for, but that was about 20 yrs ago.

I’d never heard of MCS, but they were apparently the house brand of JC Penny and we’re known to be decent quality. Anyone else using MCS or Norman Labs?

If anyone out there is interested in dabbling in vintage, there are still a few bargains if you look at lesser known brand names.

rotarius

Re: MCS, Rega and Norman Labs vintage system
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2022, 04:12 am »
Norman Labs was a company in my hometown of Norman OK.  I still see some in local pawn shops or craigslist on occasion.  They were considered decent in their day, up until mid 80s.  The MCS stuff was made by Panasonic/Technics or NEC.  I believe the receivers were NEC, the turntables were Technics. 

lazydays

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2022, 09:03 am »
Norman Labs was a company in my hometown of Norman OK.  I still see some in local pawn shops or craigslist on occasion.  They were considered decent in their day, up until mid 80s.  The MCS stuff was made by Panasonic/Technics or NEC.  I believe the receivers were NEC, the turntables were Technics.

that receiver looks like a Technics I used to own. Technics made direct drive turn tables for several big box companies (some were labeled Panasonic but 100% Technics)
Onkyo made tuners for Kenwood, Sansui, and maybe a couple others. Pioneer did receivers for Radioshack, and probably more
gary

mflaming

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2022, 02:42 pm »

I forgot to add an image of the Normans. This was my first attempt at grill fabric replacement and veneer refinishing.

rotarius

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2022, 04:47 pm »
Nice! You might want to refresh the crossovers as well. 

mflaming

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2022, 02:27 am »
I did some very basic rehab like replacing the caps and binding post, but probably needs new tweeters and redesign of the crossover. I’m just using as they are for now.