LGK 2.1 for Home Office - DIY Subwoofer to Complement?

alaska_grown

Recently purchased the LGK 2.1 kit and am currently in the process of building the cabinets. One item that has come up is the subwoofer. At home I have a cheap dayton audio passive subwoofer I bought off parts express a while back. Which is fine for starters but I am in the mood for an eventual diy replacement. My desktop amp is a fosi audio BT30D which has outputs for a passive or powered subwoofer.

So, my questions...

For the GR folks... the GR research sub options are too pricey for what I am building. If I like the 2.1s I will be considering building a second pair for my work office so I want a subwoofer for this build (and possibly the second build) that is priced in the same comparative range as the 2.1s. Any plans on a much more budget subwoofer kit any time soon?

For the rest of the circle folks... any recommendations for a relatively inexpensive subwoofer build for a desktop application? I would prefer something small, passive or powered. I have messed around in modeling subs in WinISD but I'd much rather go with a tried and true build than stumbling around on my own. A while back I purchased these tang band mini-subwoofer drivers. I'm not looking for subs at the office that go super low. Small and compact like these tb subs are a more favorable direction that I am looking.

« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2023, 10:50 pm by alaska_grown »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: LGK 2.1 for Home Office - DIY Subwoofer to Complement?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2023, 04:48 am »
I use a REL Tzero MKIII in the desktop system in my workshop. This is a small sealed sub with a 6-1/2" driver but has plenty of output for the application.

https://rel.net/shop/powered-subwoofers/serie-t/tzero-mkiii/

JCarney

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2023, 08:18 pm »
You could get one of these https://www.parts-express.com/Epique-E150HE-44-5-1-2-DVC-MMAG-Subwoofer-4-Ohm-per-Coil-295-102?quantity=1 for $99.80, and you could build a small passive sub in a 0.22 cubic foot vented box that I am sure there are plans on PE for one, for an FS of 43hz. I've wanted to try this with the larger 7", but have yet to do so.

Good luck with your search,
JCarney

alaska_grown

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2023, 09:39 pm »
I use a REL Tzero MKIII in the desktop system in my workshop. This is a small sealed sub with a 6-1/2" driver but has plenty of output for the application.

https://rel.net/shop/powered-subwoofers/serie-t/tzero-mkiii/
That looks like right the size and price I am looking for. If I didn't want to build it my self I think the search would be over.

You could get one of these https://www.parts-express.com/Epique-E150HE-44-5-1-2-DVC-MMAG-Subwoofer-4-Ohm-per-Coil-295-102?quantity=1 for $99.80, and you could build a small passive sub in a 0.22 cubic foot vented box that I am sure there are plans on PE for one, for an FS of 43hz. I've wanted to try this with the larger 7", but have yet to do so.

Good luck with your search,
JCarney
Was looking at this one last night. There is a youtuber that did a build with the 7-in one with matching passive radiators. They also did one with the 5.5-in but used a single larger passive radiator. Thinking of using the dual radiators with the 5.5 in but steering away from the youtube video. They didn't use any bracing in the box.

Looking around now to see if someone has designed a box for the 5.5-in driver with the dual radiators.

alaska_grown

« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2023, 06:12 pm »
Finished the cabinets for the 2.1s a couple weeks ago. Wrapped up the crossovers on Friday and finished building. Have been listening to them ever since. These speakers sound excellent.

Ran on a Schitt stack that will be my office set up, a Syn, Modi+, Loki mini, and Rekkr. Also ran for a bit sitting on top of my double trouble subs with a Yamaha rn2000a integrated. Even with very little time messing around with positioning and pairing with the subs was able to get things into a spot to just sit back and listen to the music.

I wouldn't compare them to my NX Studios, but they just seem to run so easy. I can't wait to get them set up in my office.