Parallel Sub Wiring

Keithh

Parallel Sub Wiring
« on: 17 Feb 2017, 09:16 pm »
When using multiple woofers in parallel, is there any difference between wiring them this way.

Or this way.

The 1st diagram would be much easier to install.

aceinc

Re: Parallel Sub Wiring
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2017, 09:43 pm »
I will take a shot at this. The only difference that I can see (which I believe to be negligible) is the effective length of wire from the input to the last woofer (shorter is better). Assuming that the speakers were in close proximity to one another, I think the point to point option (top diagram) would be better.

Generally speaking I would attempt to make the wires as short as possible.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2017, 10:22 pm »
While the amp sees the same load, the first few inches of wiring in diagram2 are going to see a lot of current. Better to stick with diagram1. What's the impedance rating on those? If those are standard 8 ohm woofers, all of them in parallel is driving down to 2 ohms which is a tough load. Alternatively you can try an in-between by wiring pairs in series and then put those pairs in parallel. It will keep your load the same as a single driver.

Keithh

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2017, 11:50 pm »
What's the impedance rating on those?

Three SW-8-16FR Servo subs which I think Danny said were actually 12 ohms each so it would an 4 ohm load.

Danny Richie

• Facilitator
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2017, 11:58 pm »
There will be no different in the two unless the wiring uses an insufficiently small gauge. That would increase the resistance slightly.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2017, 07:46 am »
In figure 2, the wiring leading to the first woofer is also carrying all the current for the other drivers. You need to take that into account.