Thank You Danny

sepolansky

Thank You Danny
« on: 12 Jul 2016, 01:36 pm »
For making very good sounding and affordable drivers. My first attempt in decades at making a decent sounding speaker turned out very well. The original tweeter I used was a Dayton PT2C-8. That was a mistake. The Fountek NeoX 2.0 works very nicely, padded a bit, with a notch, from ~2.4kHz up, with two of your M165-16 midwoofers.

They were VERY well received at the 2016 Capital Audiofest in our DIY room. (HAL provided the excellent DIY DAC). Ran out of cut sheets on the speakers. When we told folks that the speakers could be built for under $500, they shook their heads and smiled. When I told them the woofers were $30 each and the tweeters $80 each, they just couldn't believe that such performance was available for so little.

A huge improvement came when we biamped, cutting off the MTMs @ ~125Hz, 12dB/octave and let the subs run up to there. Before that, we let the sealed box MTM run full range with the subs connected to the GM70 amp outputs and cut off at 18dB/octave at 60Hz. biamping and raising the XO cut IM from woofer cone movement. Not only was bass seriously tightened due to the lack of the OPT in the way, but the entire midrange, it seems even the treble, cleaned up remarkably.

Our club mission in the CAF DIY room is to inspire people to build for themselves, at a show where very little is available for under four figures.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/caf2016-arts-saturday-continued#47iCHvV0ua1drPs9.97

Thanks again,

Stuart

Danny Richie

Re: Thank You Danny
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2016, 02:28 pm »
Thanks Stuart and welcome to AC.

I appreciate the feedback and enthusiasm for our drivers. To build on that, have your club try some of our kits using those drivers. I think you'll be even further pleased.

Guy 13

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2016, 02:49 pm »
A warm welcome to AudioCircle Mr. Stuart.

Guy 13
(Owner - user of GR Research speakers.)

THROWBACK

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2016, 03:32 pm »
I thought your room was one of the top three rooms at the whole Capital Audiofest. Of course, I am highly prejudiced: I own GR Research LS-9s. Your woofer demos were incredibly good. A $225K speaker system there did not even come close. Congratulations.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2016, 04:23 pm »
Stuart,
The speakers and system setup sounded very good to me in the DCAudioDIY room.  It was fun to come in and listen. 

Glad the DIY HiRez DAC worked out for music replay for the digital side. 

sepolansky

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2016, 09:56 pm »
Thanks for the welcome Danny, Guy 13, Throwback and, of course, Hal.

We had some moments when we wondered if all of the show prep, transporting gear in the heat and working through issues would be worth it, but comments like Throwback's and Art Dudley's were unexpected, greatly appreciated, and made it all worthwhile.

I vowed that this year would be the one I ventured to all of the rooms at the show, since we had lots of help in our room. My best girl and I probably looked at 30% of the rooms before saying "aw forget it, let's go back to the DIY room and enjoy the music!

We were quite surprised that the guys setting up the other rooms in large part failed miserably, but with beautiful and (probably) great gear. These crews must set up at several gigs a year, so we were surprised that we did so well.

We started doing DIY rooms about 2010, when, after the first CAF, we thought "our gear sounds better than most any room here!" Gary Gill, who runs the show, is a great guy and welcomes us. We are thrilled to show off largely different gear each year and amaze those guys with very deep pockets, looking to purchase those $225k speaker systems. This year was probably our best.

Danny, most of the guys in our club seem to be horn guys.  But I never quit extolling the virtues of your sensibly priced drivers. A lot of new guys join after each show, and some are looking for kits, since they are newbies. I'll be sure to show them your lineup.

There is this over-the-top, lunatic fringe guy in our club who goes by the screen name of HAL. Oddly enough, he seems to have the same name here! We were pleased to meet the man himself and to have his DIY DAC in our room. We are all anxiously awaiting the delivery and installation of his tweeters so that we can hear his system with something like 200 (or so) of Danny's OB H-Frame servo subs and Rhythmic amps. Pretty sure we are chartering a bus to his house.

Stuart

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jul 2016, 10:20 pm »
There is this over-the-top, lunatic fringe guy in our club who goes by the screen name of HAL. Oddly enough, he seems to have the same name here! We were pleased to meet the man himself and to have his DIY DAC in our room. We are all anxiously awaiting the delivery and installation of his tweeters so that we can hear his system with something like 200 (or so) of Danny's OB H-Frame servo subs and Rhythmic amps. Pretty sure we are chartering a bus to his house.

Stuart

Stuart,

Twelve 12" servo sub drivers over the top?? Nahhhhh  :shake:

Though I do think I recall Rich referring to himself as a mad scientist at one point or another. If my recollection is incorrect that doesn't make it inaccurate  :green:

Mike

sepolansky

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2016, 10:30 pm »
Stuart,

Twelve 12" servo sub drivers over the top?? Nahhhhh  :shake:

Though I do think I recall Rich referring to himself as a mad scientist at one point or another. If my recollection is incorrect that doesn't make it inaccurate  :green:

Mike

He is a really smart guy and VERY enthusiastic about this hobby, digital in particular. But I guess you already know that. Looking at his build progress pictures has been great for our spouse approval factors. "Hey honey, look at this! SEE, mine isn't bad at all compared to THIS!"

Hope his house has sheetrock secured with screws and not nails!

Stuart

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jul 2016, 10:45 pm »
... great for our spouse approval factors. "Hey honey, look at this! SEE, mine isn't bad at all compared to THIS!"

I guiltily admit to doing that  :oops:

Captainhemo

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jul 2016, 10:59 pm »
He is a really smart guy and VERY enthusiastic about this hobby, digital in particular. But I guess you already know that. Looking at his build progress pictures has been great for our spouse approval factors. "Hey honey, look at this! SEE, mine isn't bad at all compared to THIS!"

Hope his house has sheetrock secured with screws and not nails!

Stuart

You guys will be visiting the  bunker man  :thumb:

jay

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 12 Jul 2016, 11:21 pm »
Yes, your friendly neighborhood audio mad scientist here.  Have the lab coat to go with it!   :D

My plan was to make it easier for fellow music lovers to show their other half that there are more fringe folks out there.  Seems to be working.  Many folks have told me the response when they showed my pictures. :thumb:

Roscoe Primrose

• DC Audio DIY
« Reply #11 on: 1 Feb 2017, 07:20 pm »
A huge improvement came when we biamped, cutting off the MTMs @ ~125Hz, 12dB/octave and let the subs run up to there.

24dB/octave actually ;)

Roscoe