SongTower "RT's" with the ribbon tweeter upgrade - SOLD

jsalk

This pair of SongTowers was done in pal dao rosewood and features the ribbon tweeter upgrade. 

Here are some pictures...

And a close-up...

This is a custom pair of SongTowers that start at $1995.  The roswood veneer adds $200 and the ribbon tweeter upgrade adds $700.  The total would be $2895.  We are offering them for $2695.

- Jim

« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2010, 07:20 pm by jsalk »

ctouhey

Re: SongTower "RT's" with the ribbon tweeter upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2010, 05:51 am »
Those are very attractive in my opinion.  I can't imagine them lasting very long.  Had I not an order in, I might have jumped on them.

My money says gone in 84 hours or less.

Chris

gkinberg

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2010, 05:58 pm »
...This is a custom pair of SongTowers that start at $1995... 

- Jim

Jim, In what way are these ST custom?

Thanks, Garth

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2010, 06:11 pm »
The veneer and the tweeter upgrade.

srb

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2010, 06:13 pm »
Jim,

I did find the pricing table on the SongTowers a little confusing.  Standard is $1795 and Custom is $1995 plus cost of veneer.

So it would seem that the $200 Standard to Custom increase is for sourcing and working with the custom veneer, which is additionally charged at the cost of the veneer?

However in the table, the Standard Binding Posts and Standard Spikes are labled N/A in the Custom column.  Does that imply that the $200 increase from Standard to Custom also includes upgraded Binding Posts and Spikes?

Steve

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2010, 10:51 pm »
Steve -

Good catch!  I made the change.  They are included in the custom configuration.

As for the difference in price, there is usually a good deal of work involved locating and ordering custom veneers.  For some customers we end up searching for hours to locate a batch they like.  The margins are so low on the SongTowers to begin with, we just can't afford to put in all that extra work without some adjustment in pricing.

- Jim

Jim,

I did find the pricing table on the SongTowers a little confusing.  Standard is $1795 and Custom is $1995 plus cost of veneer.

So it would seem that the $200 Standard to Custom increase is for sourcing and working with the custom veneer, which is additionally charged at the cost of the veneer?

However in the table, the Standard Binding Posts and Standard Spikes are labled N/A in the Custom column.  Does that imply that the $200 increase from Standard to Custom also includes upgraded Binding Posts and Spikes?

Steve

skyliner17

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2010, 02:32 am »
How come this pair look so brown and dark compared to the picture of the Pal dao rosewood pair on the website.  The ones on the website are a lot redder which is what I like.  Let me know cause I might be interested in purchasing these.

jsalk

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2010, 02:46 pm »
How come this pair look so brown and dark compared to the picture of the Pal dao rosewood pair on the website.  The ones on the website are a lot redder which is what I like.  Let me know cause I might be interested in purchasing these.

It is difficult to get a perfect color balance when photographing without lighting equipment etc.  In comparing these photos with the actual speakers (sitting next to me at this time), they are slightly more red in person, but no a lot.  The pictures look a little washed out compared to the speakers themselves as well.

Looking at the SongTower picture on our web site, that veneer was from a different batch.  Trees are funny that way - they are never exactly the same.  Color and grain patterns can vary widely.  This particular batch of veneer was not quite as red, but had a much more striking grain pattern with greater contrast between the light and dark sections.

We could easily do another pair with this same veneer and simply shoot a light coat of rose/red dye on them before the topcoat.  The result would be this more striking grain pattern in a color that is more red.  That would be no problem.

If you like red/orange, we just got in a spectacular batch of cocobolo.  This has the same type of grain pattern as rosewood, but the reddish parts of the wood are a fiery red/orange that makes it appear as if the speaker is on fire. 

To give you an idea, here is a picture of a pair of speakers we did with cocobolo front baffles a few years ago.

This is going to make some very nice speakers indeed!

- Jim   

kip_

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2010, 08:49 pm »
Wow, that's an amazing veneer.