Successsion - Episode 2

jsalk

Successsion - Episode 2
« on: 14 Jun 2023, 04:36 pm »
A few months ago, I posted that Dan and Kerry of CSS Audio were interested in purchasing Salk Sound.

They are great guys and it was a pleasure working with them.  They were here almost daily for two months as they analyzed the business and learned some of our production processes.  They built crossovers, assembled speakers, and generally helped around the shop (at no charge I should note).  I'm glad we had a chance to get to know them on a more personal level.

As for the sale itself, our accountant valued the company at about $300,000.  But we basically offered it to Dan and Kerry for less than a third of that amount...basically the cost of our machinery.  We were not charging for the name or any of our speaker designs.  We were willing to throw all that in for free in order to provide them with the best chance for success.

The way I looked at it, if they ever wanted to market finished speakers, they would never be able to set up a speaker manufacturing operation at this price.

In the end, they decided not to proceed.  They simply did not feel confident they could market speakers at prices that would be required for an ongoing operation.  I don't blame them for their decision.  They made a good-faith effort to make it work.

During the process of exploring a sale, we basically stopped taking new orders so Dan and Kerry would have a clean start when potentially taking over operations.  At this point, we probably have about six weeks of work left to complete all standing orders.  After that, we will basically auction off our equipment and head home.

Will that be the end of Salk Sound?  Not exactly.  While we will no longer manufacture speakers, I do have an idea of what I'd like to do going forward and it involves remaining a part of the audio industry.  I don't have a specific announcement about that at this point but will outline it in full once I sort out the details.

When we first contemplated going into the speaker business, everyone we talked to discouraged us.  "You can't make it," they said.  Well, twenty years later, we're still here.

I'm proud of the work we did and very thankful for all the support and encouragement you, our owners,  have provided over the years.  When times were tough, we'd quite often receive an appreciative email from a customer that would make everything seem worthwhile.  For that, I will be forever grateful.

You have given us the opportunity to get to know, and ship speakers to, thousands of people around the world.  None of this would have been possible were it not for the faith you placed in us over the years. It has been truly gratifying.

So thanks for your support.  Now it's on to the next iteration of Salk Sound...

- Jim

Jeff in the D

Re: Successsion - Episode 2
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2023, 06:02 pm »
Well darn Jim, disappointing to hear this isn't ending differently, I was hoping Salk would be around for another 20 or so years.
I consider myself quite fortunate to have a pair of your SS8's in my living room. 
Good luck with your next venture.

thank you Jim and Mary, was a pleasure meeting you both,
Jeff

lewdogg

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2023, 06:27 pm »
Ugh, sorry to hear that Jim. Your speakers will be sorely missed in the industry. Looking forward to seeing what's next.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2023, 06:39 pm »
I wish the very best for you.  It will be sad to see all those wonderful Salk Speakers go away and I will miss the announcements of your always improving new models.

It meant a lot to me to know you and Mary and having so many good years of association with us.  All those trade shows were fun and useful showing our combined products.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2023, 07:08 pm »
I'm very sorry to see my collaboration with Jim coming to an end, but 20 years is a good run and Jim deserves a rest.  Jim is indeed  a class act.  Over our entire working relationship there was never a disagreement or a harsh word, even when I hit him (figuratively) with a 22-component crossover.  I count Jim--and certainly Mary--as good friends and I wish them both well.   

Mudslide

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jun 2023, 07:56 pm »
Many thanks to both Jim and Mary for being wonderful suppliers of fantastic audio equipment, and as well, terrific ambassadors of our hobby.  In particular, my appreciation goes out to both for trucking all the way to the rugged Oregon coast for our GTG event WAY back in 2010.  My hard-of-hearing wife still talks about the joy of at last hearing music from those superb SS12's.

It is a tough business, but you weathered it in style and grace.

Best wishes for a long and healthy retirement or second audio business life.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jun 2023, 08:33 pm »
Sigh. I'm saddened to learn this. I had been hopeful that Dan and Kerry would take over as it seemed <to me> like a great fit. However, I look forward to what you have in store for the future.

Enjoy life and have fun!

Michael

P.S. Check your email.

Saturn94

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jun 2023, 09:21 pm »
I’m sorry to hear the sale didn’t go through.

Jim, I wish you the best in your future endeavors.  :)

Boybees

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jun 2023, 09:57 pm »
Jim, I feel fortunate to have discovered Salk Signature Sound 15 years ago. The Song Towers I purchased then provided endless hours of musical bliss and basically became woven into the fabric of my daily life. I'm sure you have many customers who would would say similar things about the sonic joyride that Salk speakers can provide. And dealing with you over the years has represented a kind of ideal about how a small business owner can treat customers with professionalism, kindness, and respect.

Now I'm fortunate again that I decided to pull the trigger on a big upgrade to BePure 2s earlier this year. At the time, I really didn't understand how the clock might be ticking on the chance to own your latest design. Now it seems that my speakers will be among the last you and your team ever produce. Believe me, your legacy will continue, right here at home in my listening room.

Best, Dave

PSB Guy

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jun 2023, 12:42 am »
This is sad news. I'll miss seeing all the beautiful speakers that come out of your shop. I hope my Songbirds last me for a good while, I dread trying to find something to replace their quality and value. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Cornelis

ddps

• Salk SS 9.5 / McIntosh MA8900 / Auralic Altair
« Reply #10 on: 15 Jun 2023, 12:53 am »
Jim,

Your offer sounds very generous. If I lived in Michigan and had a slightly different career, I would have taken you up on it. Cheers to you and Mary for all you’ve done and what remains for you to do. Your chapter in the audio industry will go down favorably in the history books. We all look forward to whatever is next! I will always cherish my SS 9.5s!!!!!!

AllanS

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jun 2023, 04:08 am »
One of life's bittersweet moments.  I am sorry to hear the business can't carry on but your legacy most certainly will especially as you are going out at the top of your game.  I am thankful to have some of your creations to enjoy.  Many thanks for that and all you and the team brought to this passion.  We'll definitely look forward to Episode 3!
All the best,
Allan

Rocket

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jun 2023, 11:42 am »
Hi Jim,

All the best. In total I bought a pair of Song HT2's and HT3'S and a Rhythmic Salk Sound subwoofer and you sent it all the way from the USA to Australia. It was quite a nervous time but you always delivered everything that you promised me you would. I currently use a pair of Salk Sound Song 3's as I bought them locally.

Good luck in retirement.

Cheers Rod

JDoyle

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jun 2023, 11:45 am »

I'm proud of the work we did...

You should be proud Jim, your speakers are world class.

Sorry to hear that it didn’t work out.

rowdyrobot

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jun 2023, 02:21 pm »
Best wishes, Jim, to you and the entire Salk production team. You have many customers and friends out here who enjoyed the entire process of buying speakers from you, and will continue to enjoy listening to the finished products far into the future!

VinceT

« Reply #15 on: 15 Jun 2023, 03:36 pm »
I live in the Detroit area and admittedly never had a chance to hear Jim's speakers. The CSS guys are right down the street so that is a bummer that didn't work out.

There is a ton of brand loyalty here being displayed. For the asking price someone could trade the curreent equipment in for for a nice CNC machine and really make these speakers competitive is a tight economy if they went with MDF or the kit route. I know that goes against the current business model with the beautiful finishes, but the sound and brand loyalty is there to make a go of it.

If I already didn't have a demanding career this would be a fun way to make a living. If there is a will there is a way.

DEP14

« Reply #16 on: 15 Jun 2023, 04:09 pm »
Oh man!  Had hoped to get one last pair ordered when budgets allowed again.

All the best to you guys Jim.  I still hope to get by here before the doors close. 

core power tech

« Reply #17 on: 15 Jun 2023, 05:30 pm »
Wishing you all the very best Jim

Mark Schifter

Rich Carlson

« Reply #18 on: 15 Jun 2023, 11:10 pm »
I'm sorry to hear this, but I wish you all the best in whatever comes next.  I'm glad I had the opportunity to hear several of your speakers at audio shows, to talk to you there, and I very much appreciate the personal service I received when considering then ordering a pair of Silk Monitors (which I love!).
Best wishes,
Rich

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #19 on: 16 Jun 2023, 12:43 am »
Jim

It was such a pleasure to meet you a number of times at your Pontiac shop and with Mary at RMAF.
You went to great lengths with me on several Salk models.
A true artisan who made  wonderful sounding speakers as customized works of art for every owner.
We all appreciate your love for music, woodwork and  sound reproduction.

All the best in your next ventures

Thank you

Tom