A couple of Qs - tweeter choices and porting side?

ketzer7

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of having my basement finished so I can have an HT room for myself again.  My current room dedicated to that purpose has been overrun by my 2 and a half year old daughter and her toys, so it's time to get out  :)

In any case, my current system utilizes a set of Paradigm Cinema 330s for LCR duties with Cinema ADPs for the surrounds, and an Ultracube 10 sub.  While they're Ok, if I'm building a new room, I want to step up to something better.  To that end I've been looking for a while at the SongSeries as replacements.

Not having first-hand experience with them, my question relates to the tweeter choices available on the Song speakers.  Mainly I'm curious if you can end up with noticeable tonal/timbre differences among the speakers if, for example, one had the ribbon tweeters on the STs, but the rest use the OW1/OW2s?  Same question if the OW4s were used in the STs, versus the OW1/OW2s used on the remainder?  Is it the case that if you change the tweeters on one, do you have to change them for all?

A different question, I noticed there is an option for the SongCenter to be ported in the front versus in the rear.  What are the advantages/disadvantages of one versus the other?  I guess better asked, is one preferred over the other for any reason?

I apologize in advance if these topics have been covered previously in another thread.  If so, please direct me there and I will stop wasting everyone's time.  Otherwise, I appreciate any and all feedback.  From perusing the pictures thread, many of you have very impressive setups, and I hope pretty soon here that I can join your ranks with a new Song-based setup.  Thanks in advance!

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: A couple of Qs - tweeter choices and porting side?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2011, 11:33 pm »
HI   It certainly won't matter whether you mix up tweeters from the 0W series.  The 2 and 4 use the same crossover and sound the same to me.  The 0W1 also sounds essentially identical to the other 0W tweets--it just needs a little different crossover treatment because it's less sensitive.  As for mixing ribbons and domes, I can't see any problem with using dome surrounds.  I also wouldn't lose any sleep over a dome center with ribbon mains, although all ribbons would be preferable if you can afford it. 

In theory, rear porting is preferable to front, since the port can generate some upper harmonics that woun't be audible if they're firing out the back, but could be if they're shooting directly at you.  But I really haven't heard any problems on the front ported cabinerts Jim has sent me, so again no need to disturb your sleep about it. 

ketzer7

« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2011, 03:28 pm »
Hi Dennis,

Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated! :thumb: 

I was already thinking of getting the STs and center with ribbons, and then dome surrounds, but wasn't sure about this, so what you related helps me out quite a bit.

Also for the porting on the center, space constraints of my Salamander stand were making me lean towards getting the rear-ported version, so all good there too.

Thanks again for the feedback on this one.

Neal Starr

Saturn94

« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2011, 05:11 pm »
The first time I visted Dennis I was able to directly compare a single ST/dome with an HT2-TL/ribbon.  While there was an audible difference between the tweeters, it wasn't enough to lose sleep over if the budget won't support ribbons all around.

Like Dennis said, there really wouldn't be any issue using domes in the surrounds.  If you can afford it, I would want to have the same tweeter across the front 3 front speakers, if not, I wouldn't stress over not having a ribbon in the center channel.

I personally have a pair of HT2-TLs on order and at least for now will be using them with my current center channel (a 3 way made by NHT with an aluminum dome tweeter).  It does work well with my ADS L1290s that are going to be replaced by the HT2-TLs.  Hopefully it will also work well enough with the Salks, otherwise I'll have to see about having Jim build a custom center for me (the "standard" matching center won't work well in my situation).  I do know another ST owner who uses a NHT center with good results, so I'm hopefull mine will work as well.

Sorry, I got a little sidetracked, but my point is that if a center from a different manufacturer can work well with Salks, then a center from Salk (even with a different tweeter) would be an even better match.  So go for whatever you budget allows and enjoy! :)

PS - I would highly recommend calling/emailing Jim about the port placement issue.  Tell him about your setup and he will be able to help you.  I don't have much space behind the speakers and had the same question.  Jim was very helpful with this (I ordered rear ported).
« Last Edit: 6 Feb 2011, 05:46 pm by Saturn94 »

gkinberg

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2011, 05:38 pm »
When I purchased my Songtowers, I was debating between dome and ribbon tweets. I ultimately chose dome because of cost and because my system was for dual HT and two channel. If your system is primarily for home theater, you might consider a dome tweeter due to its better dispersion characteristics (I don’t know if I’m using that term correctly). Conversely, a ribbon tweeter, while probably preferred for 2 channel listening, can be more directional and therefore have a smaller sweet spot so to speak. Others please feel free to correct me is I’m wrong but this is what I gathered during my research.  Just some food for thought.

Garth

coke

« Reply #5 on: 7 Feb 2011, 01:03 pm »

I'm currently in the process of having my basement finished so I can have an HT room for myself again. 

If you'll be the only person the majority of the time; you could skip the center channel and apply the money to other speakers.  That would get you closer to a pair of HT2-TLs.   

Songtowers with ribbons + center channel with dome =  $3,400

HT2-TLs = $4,200

Not sure how the HT2-TL center image would compare to a dedicated songcenter, but I bet they are somewhat close if  only 1 person is present.   

Just something to consider if you also plan on using this for 2 channel music.

ketzer7

« Reply #6 on: 9 Feb 2011, 09:21 pm »
Thank you all for the help and feedback  :thumb:

I think my intended application would be closest to Garth's: as a dual 7.1 HT setup and regular 2 channel audio.  In that regard perhaps, I should look again at the domes over the RTs, but I guess when I get closer, I can get in contact with Jim to discuss specifics and choose the better option.  While I would love to get an HT2-TL based 7.1 system, the cost would just be too prohibitive for me unfortunately  :bawl:  As a result, I think the SongSeries is a better overall fit for me.

Got a lot of work still before I can even get to the basement being finished, so there's plenty of time!   :icon_lol:  Thanks again.

Neal Starr