a little help with amplifier choice

gkinberg

a little help with amplifier choice
« on: 24 Feb 2010, 09:25 pm »
I have narrowed down an interim amplifier selection to mate with my soon to receive Marantz AV8003 and soon to purchase SongTowers and SongCenter or Acoustic Zen Adagio front three. I will eventually by a Van Alstine 240/3 to power my front three speakers but for now I need something cheaper to power my 5 channel set up. The choices are:
Rotel RMB-1066, Used, 6 X 60 watts, $300
Marantz MM9000, Used, 5 X 170 watts, $550
Emotiva UPA-5, New, 5 X 125 watts, $549

I am considering the Rotel because it’s cheap, has good reputation and has additional utility with the six channels.
I’m considering the Marantz because there might be some synergy pairing Marantz prepro with amp.
I’m considering Emotiva because its new, comes with warranty and has good reputation.

I’d rather spend around $500 or less, any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Garth

coke

Re: a little help with amplifier choice
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2010, 09:58 pm »
I think you'd be better off buying the used 240/3 AVA website for $999 with warranty, and doing without surrounds for a while.

Why throw money away on an amp you plan on replacing?

ctouhey

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2010, 10:29 pm »
Generally speaking, I'd have to agree with Coke.

However, to your question:  That's an excellent price for the Rotel - considerably under the Bluebook value.  But if it's the one on Audiogon, it's already gone.  The Marantz - again, I suspect you're referring to the one on Audiogon - is a good value if it is as described.

The best value in an inexpensive solid state amp in my opinion are the Outlaw M2200 Monoblocks.  200 watts and they have exceptional performance for the price.  One just went for $125 on Audiogon.  5 would be outside your price range, though.

Chris

Will2

« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2010, 10:39 pm »
I can understand getting something to start ..... as long as you don't buy something that will depreciate much.  I've heard that the ATI amps do very well for HT use (I think Zybar/George has them in his SongTower HT set-up) and they seem to retain their value quite well - check out the time/price charts on AudiogoN.  I don't know anything about the individual models but to make sure you know what type of thing I'm talking about here's one on Audiogon now http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1270743638&/ATI-1505-5x150/8--5x250/4

Cheers
Will

Kinger

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2010, 10:59 pm »
I'd vote for the used AVA 240x3 as well.  Over your budget, but the fronts would have good power in your setup and the AVR could be used to power the rear channels.

gkinberg

« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2010, 11:35 pm »
Ultimately, I will want to amplify at least five channels. Therefore, getting an interim amp now to amplify my five channels now won't be a waste because after I buy the AVA, I will use the interim amp to power the surrounds. BTW, the AVA 240/3 on Frank's website has been sold. The site is in the process of being updated.

Currently, I'm leaning toward the emotiva but I'm still happy to entertain ideas.

Nuance

« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2010, 04:00 am »
Emotiva will work, but it isn't in the league of Frank's stuff.  For an interim amp I also recommend the ATI stuff.  It will be perfect for what you need IMO. 

shadowlight

« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2010, 01:12 pm »
The other option is to pick up the used Butler TDB5150 (5ch @ 150watts 8ohms) that is listed in classifieds.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2010, 01:30 pm »
I have had Parasound, Wyred, Emotiva twice, Hafler, others I can't remember, and now ATI in the HT.  Soundwise I don't lose a bunch of sleep about in the HT like I do in the 2 channel room but I'd have to say the Wyreds and ATI's have been the quietest and most user-friendly and noise-free amps.  Haven't tried Frank's amps in the HT before and the one time I tried a stereo amp in the 2 channel I didn't like it with that set of gear.  I'm anxious to try some doublers in mono someday in the 2 channel but first I need to get some speakers in there.

divisionbell77

« Reply #9 on: 25 Feb 2010, 01:31 pm »
I am taking a serious look at one of those 5150's.

As for what amp to get:  don't worry about getting the Ava right now.  Get what you can afford as a place holder via the used market.  If you use it for a year you will get the majority of your money back.  If you buy new, the value will drop far more than the used.