NHT Xd audition? Other stuff?

John Ashman

• http://forum.adnm.com
NHT Xd audition? Other stuff?
« on: 24 Oct 2006, 02:38 am »
Hi Guys

Some of you may know me, others may not.  Anyway, I'm driving from here in NM to Dallas to hang out, drink beer and otherwise spend good times with an old friend this coming weekend.  I have my little mini-van, so I'd be glad to leave off some NHTs or something like that for the weekend if you're interested.  I'll arrive Friday night and leave Monday morning.  The NHT Xd is the most exciting thing we sell and some folks have expressed interest in hearing that system in the past.   Anyway, just let me know if there's anything interesting about that. 

John Ashman
Audio Designs

brj

Re: NHT Xd audition? Other stuff?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2006, 02:44 am »
Argh!  I'd love to play with a DEQ/X and hear the Xds!  Unfortunately, I'm not going to be available this weekend...

Best of luck on the trip, John, and enjoy the weekend.  That is quite a drive, but should you happen to be back this way with a van again, give me a shout.  Hopefully, someone else might be able to take you up on your generous offer.

John Ashman

« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2006, 03:41 pm »
Thanks!  I remember a few NTs lamenting not being able to hear them, but I can't remember who! 

brj

« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2006, 07:54 pm »
I may be one of the individuals you are remembering, although I confess that I was probably not looking at the NHT Xd specifically, so much as DEQ/X integrated systems in general.

I purchased my 3-way speakers with outboard passive crossovers solely so I could swap in a DEQ/X (or TacT or similar active crossover/room correction device) sometime in the future after prices came down.

John Ashman

« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2006, 12:22 am »
Well, I just figured it might make for a good "jam" if you know others that might have fun with it.  I have an extra demo set plus a few of the newer NHTs that people can pick over for a weekend.  Thanks!

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2006, 12:55 am »
hello john, do you have any preamps you can bring down?
yes, other preamps.  i was thinking along the lines of tube preamps.
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2006, 01:30 am by marvda1 »

brj

« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2006, 01:03 am »
Hey Marvin!  You mean pre-amps besides the DEQ/X itself? :)   (Unless it has changed, the DEQ/X acts as the pre-amp in the Xd system, as well as crossover and room correction unit.)

John, how much effort is involved in setting up the Xd system in someone's room (someone that probably hasn't done it before)?  I assume the curves to handle the Xd speakers themselves are pre-loaded into the DEQ/X, but, presumably, users will want to correct for their room as well to achieve the maximum benefit.

Thanks!

John Ashman

« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2006, 02:35 am »
Marvin, sorry!  I don't have any tube preamps at the moment. 

BRJ, Xd is unbelievably easy to set up, a few minutes once they're out of the boxes.  Everything's done for you except for room correction, but that's not out yet.  Even the bass has only one adjustment with a conveniently labled "just right" which, actually, is almost always "just right". 

brj

« Reply #8 on: 31 Oct 2006, 08:07 pm »
Hi John - hope you had a good trip to DFW!

Was anyone able to take you up on your offer to audition the NHT Xd?  If so, how did it go?

By the way, when will Xd allow room correction in addition to the active crossover capability?

Thanks!

John Ashman

« Reply #9 on: 3 Nov 2006, 03:37 pm »
Had a great time, though the drive *is* a bit tedious.  Dropped of Xds at a customer's house who appeared to have fallen in love with them over the weekend while I hung out with my friend and ate good food and set up his new system. 

I suspect room correction should be hear in <6 months, but who knows!   I try not to ask about these things, it leaves me less frustrated.  However, the bass is so clean and tight on these, actual room correction such as the Audyssey system provides may actually be too much.   I honestly don't believe room correction will help Xd except in very problematic rooms. 

Well, anyway, I might come out again if invited, it was a nice weekend.  It's about a 10 hour drive.  I hate the stupid toll roads!!!  Yeesh.  I threw my last 40¢ at one and it looked at me.  So I ended up running it.  Missed another one later not realizing I need to pull out of my lane.  A third time, it the bill changer wouldn't change my bill so I had no choice but to drive through.  Seems like a lot of work to tax people for 40¢, though I'm sure it adds up.  A gas tax would have been a lot easier and cheaper to implement.  Government.  Phooey. 

brj

« Reply #10 on: 12 Nov 2006, 07:33 pm »
Quote from: John Ashman
Had a great time, though the drive *is* a bit tedious.  Dropped of Xds at a customer's house who appeared to have fallen in love with them over the weekend while I hung out with my friend and ate good food and set up his new system.
Always a good way to spend a weekend!

I suspect room correction should be hear in <6 months, but who knows!   I try not to ask about these things, it leaves me less frustrated.  However, the bass is so clean and tight on these, actual room correction such as the Audyssey system provides may actually be too much.   I honestly don't believe room correction will help Xd except in very problematic rooms.
While I believe that "analog" room treatments should always be applied first, it does seem like a shame not to take full advantage of what the DEQ/X offers in terms of active room correction.  Keep us posted on their progress!

Well, anyway, I might come out again if invited, it was a nice weekend.  It's about a 10 hour drive.  I hate the stupid toll roads!!!  Yeesh.  I threw my last 40¢ at one and it looked at me.  So I ended up running it.  Missed another one later not realizing I need to pull out of my lane.  A third time, it the bill changer wouldn't change my bill so I had no choice but to drive through.  Seems like a lot of work to tax people for 40¢, though I'm sure it adds up.  A gas tax would have been a lot easier and cheaper to implement.  Government.  Phooey.
Did you just try to apply logic and reason to a government process?  What were you thinking? :lol:

Next time you can visit the Fort Worth side of the Metroplex... no tolls!

Let us know if any Xd systems land in the area permanently.  I'm sure some would be happy to trade system auditions if the opportunity presented itself!