$100

pjchappy

$100
« on: 8 Mar 2008, 05:12 pm »
I'm looking for a set of closed back headphones, with about a $100 budget.  I want closed back for isolation purposes, as they will mostly be used when I record my music.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
Re: $100
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2008, 06:42 pm »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=50773.msg460619#msg460619

Russell Dawkins recommends these ATH-M50 If he says they are good i'll take his word for it :thumb:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2008, 06:50 pm »
I would give the guys at Headroom a call and ask about the difference between the Sennheiser HD 201 ($25), and HD 212 Pro ($60). I bought 5 pairs of 201s for my studio, mainly for singers needing to hear themselves and they are good, if a bit bright.

If I were you I would pay the extra $50 and get something great, like the Audio Technica ATH M-50 or, if you don't mind lighter bass, the AKG 271 or the 171. AKG has just come out with new versions of both of these (271 MK II, 171 MK II) , so they might be available at a bit of a discount.

Ooops! - I just saw ecramer's post but I'll post this anyway...

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2008, 07:46 pm »
hoping you would come along with a couple more the closed cans i have are all out of his price range.  :thumb:

I would give the guys at Headroom a call and ask about the difference between the Sennheiser HD 201 ($25), and HD 212 Pro ($60). I bought 5 pairs of 201s for my studio, mainly for singers needing to hear themselves and they are good, if a bit bright.

If I were you I would pay the extra $50 and get something great, like the Audio Technica ATH M-50 or, if you don't mind lighter bass, the AKG 271 or the 171. AKG has just come out with new versions of both of these (271 MK II, 171 MK II) , so they might be available at a bit of a discount.

Ooops! - I just saw ecramer's post but I'll post this anyway...

pjchappy

« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2008, 08:03 pm »
I PMd boead about those M50s.   :green:   Thanks!

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2008, 11:18 pm »
Me too! (if there is another pair left)

He hasn't been online in a while tho.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2008, 11:48 pm »
If you have to buy retail, I would also consider the AKG 271.

Just yesterday I was in communication with a service tech working at AKG in Vienna. He has heard the M50 as well as the 271 (which I have not). According to him - admittedly biased - the 271 holds its own and then some in the mid/treble, but the M-50 has it in the bass.

AKGs fit well, may be lighter and cooler and they've been in the business for a long time, so the 271 may be a viable alternative - unless you love bass!

Brad

« Reply #7 on: 9 Mar 2008, 09:21 pm »
Boead has been travelling, but he did ship a pair of the '50s for a friend of mine.
TERRIFIC sound, highly recommended.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #9 on: 10 Mar 2008, 01:34 am »
you might be interested in this comparison by a recording engineer of a number of popular closed back headphones:

I've done three 2-day live gigs in the past 8 days with ATH-M50 headphones.
My favorite strategy is to position the mic so that what I hear in the
phones most closely matches what I hear live. This simply makes things easy.
Of course this strategy is mission impossible if anything in the signal path
is too colored.

I've tried the following phones:

Sennheiser HD-580 - open ear phones, sounded great but there too much
leakage from the live performance to be sure that it wasn't the leakage that
was responsible for the great sound in the phones.

Sennheiser HD 280 - very isolated but way too colored, particularly in the
upper mid and high end. Uncomfortable.

Sony MDR 7506 - mediocre sealing but also way too colored, hyped in both the
top and the bottom.

Audio Technica ATH-A700 - isolation a little better than the Sonys, but
still not all that great. Much less coloration than any of the above except
the HD-580s.  Bulky and fragile for moving around and using on-site. Very
comfortable.

Audio Technica AT-M50 - better isolation than all but the  HD 280s. Seem to
be more durably built than the ATH-A700. More compact. Best sonic match
given that there is indeed enough isolation to make a critical judgment.

Notice there was no AKG in this list. From what I am starting to gather, most people seem to prefer the sound of the AT, but the AKGs are more comfortable/cooler and have a handy feature for recording in that when you take them off, a microswitch operates to turn the sound off (so it doesn't bleed into the microphone).

Some engineers like the Sony 7506 for editing, because all the flaws are exaggerated by the hyped top end. They are compared to the Genelec monitors which also produce a "smiley face" tonality - so-named because if you duplicate the sound with a graphic equalizer, you will make a smiley face with the sliders. The lows and the highs are boosted in a way which catches your attention for a while, then becomes tiring to listen to compared to a more natural tonal presentation.

It seems there are two fundamental schools of design in both speakers and headphones - those seeking to duplicate reality (tonally) and those attempting to second guess the consumer by giving them what they think they will like.
In the former camp are (off the top of my head) AKG 240, 271, 501, 701, K1000, Etymotic Research ER4s, Audio Technica ATH M-50 and A 700. In the smiley camp are most other headphones, especially including Sonys. Grados to me are hyped on the bottom and pretty natural on top, plus you can really crank them without them getting nasty.
As far as monitor speakers, FWIW, the hyped camp include Genelec, Mackie, Behringer and most JBLs. The natural camp includes SP Technology (although they are hardly known yet in pro circles), Harbeth (the original midrange-o-centric speaker), KRK and some Yamahas, especially the old NS 1000 series. Fostex headphones and speakers are just mildly hyped, top and bottom.

Sorry if this is too much information, it is something I have been keeping my eye (ear?) on for nearly 40 years.
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2008, 01:51 am by Russell Dawkins »