Antelope Audio Zodiac + (evolving review)

DZetye

Re: Antelope Audio Zodiac + (evolving review)
« Reply #80 on: 17 Feb 2011, 12:09 am »
Thanks for the information on the DAC chip.  I always liked the sound of Bur Brown chips.  I will probably buy one when the base model Zodiac is released.

owenmd

« Reply #81 on: 22 Feb 2011, 03:49 pm »
HI Mark,

I can't hear this pitch from my Zodiac+, tried to put my ear against the speakers and still nothing.
/gabi

Hi Gabi..... yes, originally I thought the high pitch tone was coming from the unit itself, but its definitely coming from the tweeters.  Of the several sources/DAC's I've had connected in this system, I've never heard this before.  I'm curious to see if the Voltikus makes a difference here..?  Can't hear it during playback, I just become aware of it while paused.

Latest from Sweetwater.... Voltikus ETA, Feb 28th.

Cheers,
Mark

sfig

« Reply #82 on: 22 Feb 2011, 09:05 pm »
I spoke to a Sweetwater rep today and he told me they had one Volticus on order for delivery to the U.S. and that the price is $945 plus shipping as it's a special order.  Is that what others have been expecting in terms of price? $700 has been mentioned before.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #83 on: 22 Feb 2011, 09:13 pm »
$700 was only the price when combined with the Gold as a package.  $900 was the expected price for the plus, for example.

David (rydenfan) picked up a demo broken-in Zodiac Plus and he and I will be evaluating it against our Weiss Dac2s (me for the second time, but first time with the new room, etc).  Also we'll try it with the vaunted Teddy Pardo power supply and maybe one other (AC member mfg hint).   :wink:

owenmd

« Reply #84 on: 22 Feb 2011, 09:17 pm »
I spoke to a Sweetwater rep today and he told me they had one Volticus on order for delivery to the U.S. and that the price is $945 plus shipping as it's a special order.  Is that what others have been expecting in terms of price? $700 has been mentioned before.

That would be my Voltikus.  Yes.... I was blown away by the price, but my belief is Sweetwater don't intend to keep in stock either the Gold, combo Gold or Voltikus on its own at this point.... its not really their target market and so becomes a special order.  The $700 mentioned in various paces for the Voltikus is its price "only" when bought in combo with the Gold Zodiac.  I personally couldn't justify spending an extra $1200 just to get a $250 saving on the Voltikus...!
Bit of a rip IMHO.... but we'll see...?   :scratch:

owenmd

« Reply #85 on: 22 Feb 2011, 09:26 pm »
I was also told by Antelope that there will be some black face plate Voltikus's made available specifically for use with the plus.... but not until later in the year.  The color doesn't bother me enough to make me wait.... although I would have preferred matching black.

sfig

« Reply #86 on: 22 Feb 2011, 09:59 pm »
The Teddy Pardo Zodiac PS is $340 delivered and I believe available now.  That was my second choice behind the Volticus but now understanding the correct Volticus price and delivery time for a black face unit probably reverses the choice for me.  Has anyone had direct experience with the Pardo PS (or Wellborne) with the Zodiac +?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #87 on: 22 Feb 2011, 10:15 pm »
The Teddy Pardo Zodiac PS is $340 delivered and I believe available now.  That was my second choice behind the Volticus but now understanding the correct Volticus price and delivery time for a black face unit probably reverses the choice for me.  Has anyone had direct experience with the Pardo PS (or Wellborne) with the Zodiac +?

Yes, gabrielo uses a Teddy Pardo (earlier in this thread including pics), and as stated above David and I have one being shipped as we type.  So, yes, it's available.  :)  We'll report back asap.

Philistine

« Reply #88 on: 22 Feb 2011, 10:21 pm »
The other PSU to throw in the mix is the Paul Hynes - I believe Ken (aka Bigfish) got a quote around $540.

All these other options make the Volticus price look on the 'bend over and take it' side of the equation  :o

Looks like you guys need to meet somewhere and do a PSU shootout, that'll help with my decision making process :D

sfig

« Reply #89 on: 23 Feb 2011, 12:00 am »
I'd certainly be interested in the results of that shootout if it could happen.

owenmd

« Reply #90 on: 23 Feb 2011, 12:39 am »

All these other options make the Volticus price look on the 'bend over and take it' side of the equation  :o

Yes.... us Brits have a particularly strong aversion to unnatural positions.... but Phil can tell you a lot more about that kind of thing....?  :lol:

Paul Hynes

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
« Reply #91 on: 23 Feb 2011, 12:52 am »
I will send an SR3-18 if that helps you set up a shootout.

Regards
Paul

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #92 on: 23 Feb 2011, 12:55 pm »
I was able to spend 2-3 hours with David's (rydenfan) Zodiac + this past weekend.  We directly compared it to a Modwright Transporter with NOS tubes.  The Zodiac + was fed a digital signal via the Modwright TP's S/PDIF out via a VH Audio digital ic.  While this might be less than ideal (especially since the digital input/output from both units had never been used before), it was the easiest way for us to do this comparison.  The analog output ic used in both cases was the Morrow Audio MA4 XLR.  The rest of the setup was my normal system (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=systems;area=browse;system=711) with the exception of the Parasound JC-2 preamp being temporarily replaced by an Atma-Sphere MP-1.

As for the sonics...

The Zodiac + sounded really good and in many areas bested the Modwright TP.  The Antelope was better at the extremes in most ways.  Bass had more authority and slam to it and highs were more detailed and crisp without being edgy and annoying.  The midrange was also cleaner and clearer with more detail and separation.  Imaging and sound stage were excellent, but didn't really seem like as big an improvement over the Modwright TP.

However, the Antelope wasn't as "full figured" as the Modwright TP and didn't convey the same depth of body and presence.  No real shock given the wimpy PS and lack of tubes in the Antelope.  I wonder how much an improved PS would help flesh out the Zodiac + and get it closer to the Modwright TP?  Once David gets an upgraded PS I will hopefully get an opportunity to hear the Zodiac + again in my system.

George

Philistine

« Reply #93 on: 23 Feb 2011, 02:14 pm »
Thanks for the MWTP/Zodiac comparison George - many current/former MWTP owners are interested in the future 'upgrade' options.

Talking to Zodiac+ owners the consensus appears to be that it needs both burn in time and a better PSU in order to 'sing'.

With regard to the PSU options: the Volticus appears to me to be on the high side at close to $1000, is this based on its design/performance or gouging?  It's disappointing that it's available with the Gold for $700, while this price is not extended to the + which is going to be the major seller in the Zodiac range.  For this reason I welcome the option to explore third party PSU's.  I know little about the Pardo's but see that the Paul Hynes units get rave reviews from other manufacturers and individual users.   Consequently I would welcome a direct comparison with the Volticus and SR3-18, as Mark (owenmd) has the Volticus on the way I would encourage a direct AB comparison on behalf of the rest of us. 

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #94 on: 23 Feb 2011, 02:39 pm »
I of course had the MW TP for some time, and when demoing the dozen or so DACs against my Weiss DAC2 the Zodiac Plus kept creeping back into my memory as one "that got it right" with regard to musical timing.  It was always about the power supply IMO.  I will be hearing the Teddy Pardo (I recommended the Pardo to him, then David worked out a longer worst-case return process so both of us could hear it at length).  Many folks who have tried the Zodiac with the $340 Pardo are blown away (not sure the Hynes has been mated with the Zodiac yet).  One or two other AC mfg members are getting their PS's ready, too.   :wink:

I wish the PS didn't have such a proprietary locking collar connector or I'd love to use a good one with my current demo inhouse DAC, the M2Tech Young Dac, capable of 32/384 via USB.  It's also an 18V PS.  The Dac wasn't quiet ready on first go-round but the new boards are in and the DAC is being fitted as we speak, er type.

Paul Hynes

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
« Reply #95 on: 23 Feb 2011, 04:30 pm »
Hello Ted,

The SR3-18 has been mated with the Zodiac and it works very well according to those who have tried it. It also works well with the M2Tech Young DAC. I’m shipping one out to the States for trial in around 14 days and would be pleased to let it go on tour after this trial if you want to try one.

Regards
Paul

cryoparts

« Reply #96 on: 23 Feb 2011, 04:53 pm »
Also we'll try it with the vaunted Teddy Pardo power supply and maybe one other (AC member mfg hint).   :wink:

Ted, what is the Teddy Pardo supply?  Where does one get this?

FYI--the Volitikus is $700 if purchased with the Gold, and $995 (ish) on its own.  I have a couple on order, I wish I had one now, I would send it up to you guys to compare to the TP, and the "mystery" supply.

Peace,

Lee

cryoparts

« Reply #97 on: 23 Feb 2011, 04:57 pm »
Yes, gabrielo uses a Teddy Pardo (earlier in this thread including pics), and as stated above David and I have one being shipped as we type.  So, yes, it's available.  :)  We'll report back asap.

DOH, I will look earlier in the thread... :duh: Google is my friend...  :duh:

Lee

cryoparts

« Reply #98 on: 23 Feb 2011, 05:00 pm »
I wonder how much an improved PS would help flesh out the Zodiac +

Hi George!  I am wondering the same thing, if the Voltikus ever arrives.

Peace,

Lee

cryoparts

« Reply #99 on: 23 Feb 2011, 05:08 pm »
(or Wellborne) with the Zodiac +?

I have a Welborne, I'll try it out.

Peace,

Lee