LampizatOr Level 4+ Thoughts / Review

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
LampizatOr Level 4+ Thoughts / Review
« on: 8 Mar 2012, 09:29 pm »
     Well the L4+ has been on it's perch now for about a week, what a joy to welcome home an old friend.  In an effort to save some money and simplify (three boxes down to one) my system, I regrettably sold my L5 a while back. 

During my time without the Lamp I demoed many DACs, the most notable being the Berkeley II.    This is when I really started missing my Lamp, much like lusting over a love lost.  One that could not be replaced with the next latest and greatest.  Thank you Norman for being the liaison between Lukasz and me helping to facilitate the new L4+.

I must mention that the Berkeley was my favorite prior to the Lamp.  When I demoed the new model II it just sounded dry.  Now all the detail was there but the music was lifeless.  I had owned the original Berkeley for over a year prior to the Lamp and thought it was the best DAC I ever had in my system but the Lamp had literally ruined me?  My previous DACs in order have been Bel Canto 2, Audio Logic, Dodson 218 and Accustic Arts.

Thank you Lukasz, you have some how managed to do what most others cannot.  That is...transparency and musicality.  The reviews people read are accurate, but the reviewers are so blown away with the Lamp their reviews tend to be overly complimentry and I think this is what is scaring some folks away, and that is a shame.  Lukasz has spent years on the R&D for this DAC yet still doesn't get enough credit, but I digress. 

The Berkeley and from what I read, the DCS Debussy may in fact have some more detail and I do say may.  But the sacrifice of musicality is far too great.  Having said that I am getting great detail from the Lamp and feel like I am in the room with the musicians, it is truly amazing.

Very few things move the heart and soul like the Lamp.  Now I feel the same way about my wife and I am sure she wouldn't move everyone's heart and soul (probably a good thing) like she does mine.  My point being I am sure the Lamp isn't for everyone, nothing is.  For those of us who are moved by the Lamp it is a revelation,  I strongly encourage a Lamp audition!  Give it a few days in your system and then put your DAC back in. You will know instantly in fact you may already know after listening to the Lamp for a couple of days if it is going to stay or not.

As I have offered before, anyone in the Dallas area is welcome to come by for a listen, it may be that last upgrade you have been searching for, if not, nothing lost.  I am not affiliated with LampizatOr, I would just like my audio friends to have a chance to hear it. 

The Internet can be a brutal place, so please try to be civil in responding.  I know there are cheaper DACs etc. so forth and so on.  if you have question about the DAC chime in.  if you are looking for a flame war please go else where. 

Kind regards,

Guy

« Last Edit: 8 Mar 2012, 10:59 pm by playntheblues »

wisnon

Re: LampizatOr Level 4+ Thoughts / Review
« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2012, 09:16 am »
Yes, I agree.

The Lampizator has a very addictive sound.

OzarkTom

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2012, 01:44 am »
I agree 100% also. The Lamps are not the most detailed, but you never grow tired of the music that they make. I am now using a Lamp 3 and loving it.

wisnon

wisnon

DavidS

« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2012, 02:50 pm »
yes love my level 3 dac - is in use pretty every day here.  Feed mine with a pro2 top loading transport (hifidiy.net).  One of the interesting comments in the reviews is that level 4 has upgraded Phillips 5y3 rectifier over standard 5c4s in level 3.  Has anyone with level 3 played with rolling tubes?

David

wisnon

« Reply #6 on: 2 Sep 2012, 04:46 pm »

Synthax

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2014, 11:07 am »
Hi,
I have L4 G4 and hesitating if it is worth to upgrade with USB board? Or it is better to use usb->spdif converter. My source will be Mac Mini. How about your experience? Are there any drivers for Mac and Lampizator?

Best regards

Maciej

rbbert

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jan 2014, 01:56 pm »
I think it's safe to say that the Aurilic Vega is the Lampi's main competition currently, and I would love to be able to compare the two

jriggy

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jan 2014, 02:13 pm »
Hi,
I have L4 G4 and hesitating if it is worth to upgrade with USB board? Or it is better to use usb->spdif converter. My source will be Mac Mini. How about your experience? Are there any drivers for Mac and Lampizator?

Best regards

Maciej

Hello Maciej and welcome to AC!

Since you just arrived, I hate to send you to another site but there is a very active thread on Audiogon, in the Digital forum, for the L4G4... About 2/3's the way into the thread is talk about USB converters with the Lamp. You may find it helpful.

Enjoy your Lampi! I know I am.

Jason

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jan 2014, 03:49 pm »
Hi,

Best regards

Maciej

I believe the answer to the second part of your inquiry is there are no drivers necessary to use the Lampizator with Mac, only PC, and then only for Hi Rez files.  Your first question about the upgrade is tougher. Contact either (members here) Gopher or Berto.  I believe they are the new dealers now.  There is, I believe a technician in North Jersey who can make the upgrade so you wouldn't have to send it back to Poland.  Still, the cost of the upgrade, plus the shipping/insurance, etc. may not be worthwhile.

I sold my S/PDIF converter after getting a USB Lampizator.  I was using a M2 Tech Evo converter.  For me, the simplicity with the music server was an important factor. Listening via the CD transport (via S/Pdif) still sounds better than listening to the server (CAPS V3) via USB, or S/PDIF converter.  For critical digital listening, I'll still be using the transport more than the server.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jan 2014, 05:38 pm »
I think it's safe to say that the Aurilic Vega is the Lampi's main competition currently, and I would love to be able to compare the two

I have heard both but not side by side.  Both good but I would say the sound of the Lampi will attract many but the smoothness of operation of the Vega is above the Lampi.  Both deliver and I am extremely happy with my L4/G4.  One of these days I will have to schlep my Lampi 2 hours to the Salk shop and set it up next to the Vega. (on non-DSD materials because the L4/G4 is not DSD equipped)

Synthax

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jan 2014, 07:50 pm »
Thank you for your help

Actually I do live in Poland, but I was curious about your opinions. Mr.Fikus told me that Lampizator is well known in US.
I do enjoy my actual setup, but files are much easier to operate (I suppose they are), but I'd like to also stay with highest possible sq.

wisnon

« Reply #13 on: 19 Jan 2014, 12:56 pm »
I have heard both but not side by side.  Both good but I would say the sound of the Lampi will attract many but the smoothness of operation of the Vega is above the Lampi.  Both deliver and I am extremely happy with my L4/G4.  One of these days I will have to schlep my Lampi 2 hours to the Salk shop and set it up next to the Vega. (on non-DSD materials because the L4/G4 is not DSD equipped)

A DSD module is an option you could add to the L4.

I posted significant comparisons made by my pal who had both on the other Lampi thread. He sold his Vega.
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2014, 05:25 pm by wisnon »