Recommendations for replacing an Oppo (new stock)

djdube525

Recommendations for replacing an Oppo (new stock)
« on: 18 Jun 2018, 04:37 pm »
Looks like most of the 203's and 205's are hard to come by new.

If someone was looking to replace an Oppo-BDP83, where would you steer them towards if looking for a 4K universal player? Trying to keep things under $1K. Would the Marantz UD7007 or Yamaha BD-1060 be reasonable alternatives if one were to purchase new?

Thanks!

WC

Re: Recommendations for replacing an Oppo (new stock)
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2018, 05:05 pm »
What do you want out of a disc player? It would help to narrow down the options.

Norman Tracy

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2018, 06:25 pm »
I wrote an article for positive-feedback.com titled "Universal Disk Players Placed on Endangered Species List" https://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/universal-disk-players/ about the demise of OPPO's sorely missed universal players. I included a list "2018 production Universal Disk Players" with eleven models and their capabilities summaries that readers of AudioCircle or Positive Feedback might consider. My list does not include the HDMI only entry level models from Samsung and LG that apparently only exist to help sell 4K UHDTVs.

As WC writes much will depend on how and for what the player is intended. Considerations include:

Do you want multi-channel analog audio outputs? Too bad OPPO was the only game in town for that feature. Not-OPPO players are 2 channel analog outputs on RCA and occasionally XLR. Be aware some players have no analog outputs and feed both audio and video to HDMI.

On the video side do you want to be able to play 4k UHD disks or just HD BD (Blu-ray)? Note current production ‘universal’ players include three video flavors:

1.   True 4k UHD BD,
  2.   4k up-sample from HD BD
  3.   HD BD at pre-4k video resolutions.

Navigating all the audio, video, and streaming options available is a big bowl of acronyms alphabet soup. I suggest asking what capabilities are must have and nice to have then study the models’ spec sheets.

I recently used the Sony UBP-X1000ES (4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player. HDMI, USB, Ethernet, and S/PDIF. Analog out RCA. $549) in a 4k Home Theater upgrade. Nice player with good streaming capabilities emphasizing 4k UHD video from both the disk and streaming. Sound excellent via HDMI to Anthem MRX 720 Multi Channel Receiver. Picture to Sony VPL-VW285ES 4K UHD Projector is stunning. Alas, build quality no where near OPPO's.

For a more audio HiFi centric player one that looks good on paper (i.e. I have not seen or heard it yet) is the Yamaha BD-A1060 Aventage 4K UHD Universal Blu-Ray Player. HDMI, USB, Ethernet, and S/PDIF. Analog out RCA & XLR. $499.

djdube525

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2018, 10:38 am »
I'm still working out the projector side of the equation (debating on the Epson 5040 and JVC 440)... since neither of those are true 4K, is there any benefit with a 4K UHD player aside from "future proof" a solution?

I do want the option to be able to play CD's and SACDs.

Actually... what I actually want I don't think I can find (this is going to open a bigger can of worms)...

Ultimately, I'm trying to keep things simple with relatively as little components as possible. Sources: 1) Universal Player, 2) Apple TV, 3) Raspberry Pi (Audio). I currently run my set-up in a 2.1 configuration. My room is relatively small (converted bedroom) so don't have the room for a ton of extra speakers. Prior house had a bonus room that I converted to a home theater room, but when we moved we downsized.   

When looking at AVRs, I don't need all the extra amplification for all the added channels... it seems like such a waste of extra electronics.

If there was a reasonably solid universal that could take an input and switch between that and the universal's functions, and had analog out's, I could open options up a bit by looking at an integrated (input being analog from DVD player + RPi) instead of an AVR, with the projector being fed by the DVD player.

In the end, I want a system that provides a really nice picture and sounds nice in a stereo plus sub configuration. Is that crazy talk?

djdube525

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2018, 04:05 pm »
Upon further thought... with consolidating market... using a universal as a "pre" might not be a good long term solution.