Talking Heads 77 in 24/96 at HDTracks

firedog

Talking Heads 77 in 24/96 at HDTracks
« on: 28 Oct 2011, 04:36 pm »
Just got the blurb from them today announcing it. I'm interested, but want someone else to be the guinea pig. I've got the original Vinyl (really original, from the first week it was out) and the standard CD.

I don't think the original vinyl or disc sound great (in terms of SQ) so don't want to spend the money on the hi-rez if it isn't an upgrade.

Again, HDT doesn't tell us the source of the Hi-res they are selling.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Talking Heads 77 in 24/96 at HDTracks
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2011, 04:54 pm »
It is likely the same as the other TH, the DVD-A set called Brick.  I have the entire set ripped, and all the 24/96 stereo layers are very good, with Speaking in Tongues and Remain In Light being exemplary.  Since 77 is a minimalist type recording anyway, the improvements are mostly air and separation, with the standard 24 bit improvement in dynamics.  However.....to REALLy enjoy the Brick set you MUST hear them in 5.1 hirez surround.  Awesome!  8)

GarfL

« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2011, 03:22 am »
Replying as I will follow this. I too do not want to be the guinea pig.

I wasted my money on True Stories, a brickwalled crap recording. Sure it is 24 bit, but I can't take it anymore. I hate to have to resort to listening with my eyes, but the audio waveform can't lie. I won't pay for a compressed piece of music again if I can help it.

firedog

« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2011, 01:05 pm »
I see that in Europe there is a reasonably priced CD-DVDA set. The DVD has 5.1 audio only, apparently.  Will DVDA-Explorer make a good quality 2 channel rip of this, or is it a waste of money if I don't have a 5.1 setup?

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov 2011, 01:36 pm »
I'd be surprised if the DVD-Audio portion is 5.1 only.  The Brick set, then the individual releases, each had a dedicated stereo layer and 5.1   DVDAExpolorer will rip 2 channel but may have to do a "get stereo downmix" if all it has to work with is a 5.1 layer.....but again, I question it.

Ooops, sorry, forgot that True Stories was already an HDtracks offering.  I would have told you that both it and Naked are not really worth the effort to upgrade.  For 5.1 yes, for stereo...well, a slight improvement.  The 24 bits gets you better dynamics.