Replacement for a Spectron Musician III

tday01

Replacement for a Spectron Musician III
« on: 22 Aug 2022, 01:19 am »
Hi all,

I have a Spectron Musician III Class D amp. Sadly it died and the company is out of business (I think the founder died). I was very happy with the sound (clean and analytical) warmed with a Rogue Perseus tube pre. What would be a good starting point for a replacement of similar quality / sound?

richidoo

Re: Replacement for a Spectron Musician III
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2022, 02:50 pm »
I loved Spectron Musician sound when I auditioned it back in the big fad ~2010? It was better than NuForce and other class D pioneers, and class AB amps <$5k back then were not as refined as they are now. I didn't like Spectron oscillating upon start up though.

Several contemporary class D amps are comparable to Spectron performance:
1. B&O ICE AS1200 sounds just as fast and clear, very relaxed and confident, but less refined, and can't handle <3 ohm.
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649873071-mivera-purepower-icepower-1200as2-amplifier/

2. Purifi amplifier is very refined, better bass than ICE, slightly warm. Best class D, imo. Rumor: new version coming.
https://purifi-audio.com/
https://vtvamplifier.com/product/vtv-amplifier-stereo-purifi-audio-1et400a-amplifier/

3. Hypex N-Core 500. There is a new N-Core coming. They keep getting better, but not like purifi, tho designed by same guy.

I recently got Denafrips Thallos class AB amplifier. It improves upon the above in clarity, refinement and bass control. Only 220W>4R but it sounds much stronger than above class D with 400-600wpc. If 220w is truly not enough for you, they make a 400W version called Apollo, but it's super heavy.

Mark Levinson 534 or Classe Delta have the detail, power and refinement, but both are high bias (class A first 10W) so might be too sweet / thic compared to Spectron.

Don_S

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2022, 05:39 pm »
Benchmark Media AHB2 stereo/mono amps.

Free 30-day trial for US-based factory direct sales.

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2022, 05:39 pm »
Would a pair of Jeff Rowland 125s be in the same vein as the Spectron?

Mike-48

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2022, 08:46 pm »
I suggest you look into amps made (by NAD and also by many small shops) with the PuriFi 1ET400A Class D modules. Having tried quite a few SS amps throughout 50 yrs, these have become my favorites. To my ears, they are uncolored and clear, without added warmth and with no hardness, harshness, or stridency.

I got mine from Apollon in Slovenia; there are many other small shops making them. Some that come to mind are Buckeye in the US, Audiofonics in France, Nord in the UK, and an outfit in Australia whose name escapes me.

« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2022, 07:47 pm by Mike-48 »

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2022, 09:06 pm »
The Nuprime Evolution STA Class D dual mono amp is worthy of consideration in my opinion. It’s got Class D clarity and bass control yet has the warmth of a tube amp. I’ve got one in my system and I’m delighted with it. I also own a 1200as2 amp, but the Nuprime is far better.

hayden

« Reply #6 on: 22 Aug 2022, 09:43 pm »
Cherry Amps

Mike-48

« Reply #7 on: 23 Aug 2022, 07:46 pm »
Cherry Amps
If you consider Cherry amps, be advised that the owner/designer recently died, and the future of the company is in doubt. I have seen several posts from owners who can't get their broken Cherry amps serviced.

Rocket

« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2022, 01:22 pm »
Hi,

Is there any possibility that the Spectron amplifier could be repaired? I know its difficult to find a great repair tech but it may be an option for you.

Cheers Rod

tday01

« Reply #9 on: 10 Sep 2022, 03:32 am »
I suggest you look into amps made (by NAD and also by many small shops) with the PuriFi 1ET400A Class D modules. Having tried quite a few SS amps throughout 50 yrs, these have become my favorites. To my ears, they are uncolored and clear, without added warmth and with no hardness, harshness, or stridency.

I got mine from Apollon in Slovenia; there are many other small shops making them. Some that come to mind are Buckeye in the US, Audiofonics in France, Nord in the UK, and an outfit in Australia whose name escapes me.

I was also looking at the Apollon. Which model did you get and how does it sound?

tday01

« Reply #10 on: 10 Sep 2022, 03:35 am »
Hi,

Is there any possibility that the Spectron amplifier could be repaired? I know its difficult to find a great repair tech but it may be an option for you.

Cheers Rod

I looked into that. I found some threads that said the amplifier modules were custom and couldn't be sourced and the maker is either not responding or passed. The odd thing is that both channels have failed. One makes a whistling noise and the other sounds like a strangled robot. I really thought it was two separate amps in one box (and as I write this, I wonder if it is something with the power supply...

Mike-48

« Reply #11 on: 10 Sep 2022, 03:38 am »
My order was for the PuriFi 1ET400A monoblocks (with Sonic Imagery op amps). In my system, they sound as good as or better than amps I've used from Classé, Bryston, Pass, Spectron, AVA, Marsh, and conrad-johnson. I sold an amp costing twice as much in their favor.

JCarney

« Reply #12 on: 10 Sep 2022, 02:15 pm »
Class D Audio and Peachtree both have class d  amps in their line up. Class D Audio utilizes the GAN (gallium nitride) type of class d module which seems to be growing in popularity. A couple more to consider.

Good luck,
JCarney

Mike-48

« Reply #13 on: 10 Sep 2022, 05:23 pm »
So far, GAN is being marketed on hype. There are no expert listening panels nor blind tests showing it's better subjectively; there are no data showing that it's better objectively for home-audio use. So without reaching any conclusions, I'd suggest people keep their eyes and ears open before choosing any audio gear based on the technology used. That applies to DACs, amplifiers, and speakers equally. If the specs are good and it sounds good to you (compared to to other things), buy it. If not, don't. But don't let beryllium, GAN, Sabre, tubes, or Class XXX be the deciding factor.

tday01

« Reply #14 on: 20 Sep 2022, 03:30 am »
My order was for the PuriFi 1ET400A monoblocks (with Sonic Imagery op amps). In my system, they sound as good as or better than amps I've used from Classé, Bryston, Pass, Spectron, AVA, Marsh, and conrad-johnson. I sold an amp costing twice as much in their favor.

I placed an order for the PET 950! ($ <=> € is pretty good right now).

Mike-48

« Reply #15 on: 20 Sep 2022, 04:58 am »
I placed an order for the PET 950! ($ <=> € is pretty good right now).
Congratulations, and may you get great pleasure from them!