Mivera 1200AS upgrade

Tomy2Tone

Mivera 1200AS upgrade
« on: 12 Aug 2021, 06:48 pm »
I'm getting ready to send my Mivera 1200AS amp to Ric Schultz at EVS but wanted to see if any members here have already done this upgrade with Ric and how the amp sounds now versus the "stock" amp. I've liked having a class d amp to use during the summer months and the 1200AS is probably the best class d amp I have tried to date, would love to also hear the Purifi stuff.

If anybody has some thoughts or feedback on this upgrade I would appreciate it.

Phil A

Re: Mivera 1200AS upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2021, 07:21 pm »
I don't have specific information about a mod to my Mivera SE (which I use in a secondary system) but I have Ric's EVS 1200 in the main system (the pics on his website are of my amp as I was the first - http://tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/EVS_1200_amplifier.html).  I did talk to Ric during the last week more or less to see how he's doing and catch up with what he's modding.  Per Ric, it should should pretty much the same as the EVS 1200 with less power though as the EVS 1200 is dual mono.  My Mivera is used in a system that is primarily my UHD home theater.  I've had both the Mivera SE (with upgraded fuses) in the main system as well as the EVS 1200 for a length of time.  I also broke the EVS 1200 in using the secondary system where I now have the Mivera SE.  I think you'll be satisfied with the upgrade for sure.  I had some comments in an Audiogon thread but at Ric's request (he was no longer making the amps and someone over there just likes to automatically trash all Class D without hearing the specific amp) the thread was removed.  I'm waiting for Ric to get his hands on the LSA Voyager GAN amp which finally started shipping.

I think you'll find the amp sounds cleaner with everything better defined and a more relaxed quality to it.  While I broke the EVS 1200 in (for just over a week), I'd go into the room and listen every day or so to a few things to see how it was progressing.  The EVS 1200 does not look as commercially nice as the Mivera SE (which looks like it could have been made by a high end company) but that's something of no concern to me.  Ric's write up of the differences (in both the mods and sound) are pretty good - http://tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/EVS_1200_and_Mivera_SE_comparis.html

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2021, 07:43 pm »
Thanks Phil! I haven't seen that link before on Ric's comparison's. Much appreciated.

I've read some highly favored comments on Agon about Ric's EVS1200 so that is why I'm wanting to see what he can do for mine. The newer GAN amps are tempting as well but for $350 I'd like to see what can be improved on top of what I already like.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2021, 09:03 pm »
Thanks Phil! I haven't seen that link before on Ric's comparison's. Much appreciated.

I've read some highly favored comments on Agon about Ric's EVS1200 so that is why I'm wanting to see what he can do for mine. The newer GAN amps are tempting as well but for $350 I'd like to see what can be improved on top of what I already like.

I agree for that kind of money it certainly is worth it.  You could spend a substantial portion of that on fuses (I did).  As noted I use my Mivera on what is essentially a HT system (with old B&W P6s as mains).  I'm about to get one or two more things and shuffle things around in secondary systems (just sold my Hegel H190 Integrated Amp/Streamer/DAC I had in one of those systems that barely saw use after I broke it in).

I have a cheapo GAN amp that I use in the main system for HT.  While my Modwright LS 36.5 DM preamp has HT Bypass, the IcePower amps do sound better in balance mode (my Mivera is single ended).  When I use the balanced out of the Modwright all that works is the balanced input (and that's where my EMM Labs DAC 2x is plugged into).  So I was moving the Mivera in there for a bit for HT (and getting to the back of the equipment is a royal pain) and decided to take a chance on this http://www.classdaudio.com/class-d-amplifiers/all-complete-amplifiers.html   when it was $699.  I did break it in using the HT system with the B&Ws (unplugged the Mivera).  It sounds pretty good but didn't do detailed comparisons.  I need an amp to drive my Thiel 3.7s in the main system.  The Class D audio does it nicely and is compaact and I have eventual plans where the size will be perfect.

I like my EVS 1200 and down the road a bit where more GAN amps are out for longer, I'll follow it more closely.  Ric Schultz posted a list of what is out or coming out soon here - https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/lsa-voyager-gan-amplifier

hi5harry

« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2021, 10:36 pm »
I'm very sure your going to love what Ric can do to the Mivera amps. Actually, my Acapella system is the system he mentions in the link above. Everything he says about that night is true. Acapella speakers are ruthless if something isn't right. I thought the Mivera amps with Audio Magic fuses and new Furutech NCF iec's were doing great. Then we put Ric's amps in, freshly modded with no time to burn in. At first they sounded very nice, but after he and I playing music into the night, I was blown away. I have had a bunch of class D amps. I actually like class D, but never thought they would be in my main system. I don't think Ric's amps sound class D at all. Maybe even like a really nice tube amp, but not too far in that direction. He's working on modding my third Mivera amp now. After hearing the difference, I could never leave mine stock. Money VERY well spent!

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #5 on: 12 Aug 2021, 11:08 pm »
I'm very sure your going to love what Ric can do to the Mivera amps. Actually, my Acapella system is the system he mentions in the link above. Everything he says about that night is true. Acapella speakers are ruthless if something isn't right. I thought the Mivera amps with Audio Magic fuses and new Furutech NCF iec's were doing great. Then we put Ric's amps in, freshly modded with no time to burn in. At first they sounded very nice, but after he and I playing music into the night, I was blown away. I have had a bunch of class D amps. I actually like class D, but never thought they would be in my main system. I don't think Ric's amps sound class D at all. Maybe even like a really nice tube amp, but not too far in that direction. He's working on modding my third Mivera amp now. After hearing the difference, I could never leave mine stock. Money VERY well spent!

Wow, that’s awesome Harry!  When I messaged Ric the other day he said he was working on his fourth Mivera amp in a row so I know others have had the same idea. My Mivera has the Furutech NCF inlet and Furutech posts and connectors and I recently put in a QSA yellow fuse that’s been the best addition as of yet. Hoping tomorrow I can get it shipped out. You and Phil have definitely pushed me over the edge with excitement so thanks for taking the time to post!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2021, 05:42 am »
Guys,

Whaddya think you're doing here?  :nono: You're making me tempted to follow suit with my Mivera SE amp.  :icon_lol: My Mivera amp has been sitting unused for over a year. It's supposed to be used during hot summer months -such as now, but my Kootenay 120 sounds so nice that I've been too lazy to switch amps. My wife finally discovered how hot the Kootenay gets. Boy, was she surprised!

Michael

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #7 on: 13 Aug 2021, 02:03 pm »
Phil A or hi5harry or anybody that would know, what is the value of the fuse in the holder by the iec inlet? I got asked by a friend but I bypassed it a couple of years ago and forgot what rating it is. I know the one on the board is a 10a slow blow.

maxima95

« Reply #8 on: 13 Aug 2021, 02:39 pm »
Tom - I think I have a Mivera stereo amp very similar to yours.  I don't have an answer for your fuse question because I only have the board fuse.

Are you getting this mod on yours:

"Stereo module mod:  (no AC mods or binding post bypass mod)  $350  (Includes new input wires and new
  speaker output wires)." ?

Thanks

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #9 on: 13 Aug 2021, 02:53 pm »
Tom - I think I have a Mivera stereo amp very similar to yours.  I don't have an answer for your fuse question because I only have the board fuse.

Are you getting this mod on yours:

"Stereo module mod:  (no AC mods or binding post bypass mod)  $350  (Includes new input wires and new
  speaker output wires)." ?

Thanks

Yes, I would like to give him some of my VH Audio copper wire to replace the Neotech as I’ve found the VH wire to be better. I’m not sure what wire he uses.

maxima95

« Reply #10 on: 13 Aug 2021, 03:10 pm »
Thanks Tom. 

Phil A

« Reply #11 on: 13 Aug 2021, 03:35 pm »
Phil A or hi5harry or anybody that would know, what is the value of the fuse in the holder by the iec inlet? I got asked by a friend but I bypassed it a couple of years ago and forgot what rating it is. I know the one on the board is a 10a slow blow.

I believe both fuses are the same (that's both from memory about posts on the Mivera audio forum and I have two boxes of Synergistic Research with Blue fuses of that value and most of the rest of the upgraded fuse boxes I labeled with the piece of equipment it was for - the Mivera amp was the second purchase I made of upgraded fuses - the first was for my Modwright preamp power supply and those are different values).

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 13 Aug 2021, 07:27 pm »
Harry,
Your Mivera #3 should be finished today or tomorrow.  So cool, we meet at a local park (in the parking lot) and he gives me $100 bills and I give him a modded amp and then he gives me another to mod.  He had (still has?) an older gorgeous restored Cadillac (convertible, if I remember correctly).  Here is the scene: He comes in his Cadillac (wearing pimp clothes) and peels off $100 bills off a big wad......I give him the amp.......and we get someone to film it.   We could title it "Scoring an Audio amp fix" or something.  We then load it to Utube and it gets a million hits.....he he.  We are such addicts!

Ric - have seen the car recently

Ric Schultz

« Reply #13 on: 13 Aug 2021, 08:22 pm »
He He......I think his is red.....but I like this purple amp mods machine......I want one.  Goes well with my outfit.

« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2021, 09:30 pm by Ric Schultz »

hi5harry

« Reply #14 on: 13 Aug 2021, 10:12 pm »
I know, but it's a little creepy to meet him in a park and hand him cash when he's dressed like that! All the bystanders are recording him on their phone!

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #15 on: 13 Aug 2021, 10:21 pm »
I know, but it's a little creepy to meet him in a park and hand him cash when he's dressed like that! All the bystanders are recording him on their phone!

:lol:

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #16 on: 15 Aug 2021, 06:22 pm »
I heard that Mike is pondering a Purepower MK2 upgrade kit with the Purifi amps, i'm sure that they will be stellar!!

Don

Phil A

« Reply #17 on: 15 Aug 2021, 06:41 pm »
I heard that Mike is pondering a Purepower MK2 upgrade kit with the Purifi amps, i'm sure that they will be stellar!!

Don

I'm sure it would be. 

david45

« Reply #18 on: 18 Aug 2021, 08:59 am »

Don

That’s something I would be interested in: drop the1200as2 module in a Ghent case and use the nice premium case and connectors for a pair of 1ET400a modules (paired with Mike’s custom buffer of course).