AQVOX low noise linear USB power supply for DACs ~$150 USD

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: AQVOX low noise linear USB power supply for DACs ~$150 USD
« Reply #100 on: 22 Sep 2011, 02:53 pm »
Ed, what is a battery powered Alix?  If it is a battery powered computer music server, I doubt the AQVOX would improve the sound of the Tranquility.

That's exactly what it is.  The Alix is a small footprint minimalist Linux (Voyage MPD) music server, 7V-19V capable. 

Jason, the AQVOX passes the audio signal, along with its own power signal (presumably MUCH cleaner than the original computer-based one).  You plug the DAC-based USB end (usually B style) into the AQVOX's male-female adapter.  At this point you have audio signal and (either no power or) computer power pulsing through the USB cable.  The AQVOX strips the power and adds its own, then sends both power and audio along to the dac via the male/female connector (i.e no additional USB cable per se).

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #101 on: 22 Sep 2011, 02:54 pm »
Ed,
PM me.  Where are you located?  Nevermind, I see it in your profile.  You are likely one postal day away.  If I like it, I'll buy it.  If not, you return it but I'll pay for US-Euro postage from my house as a thank you.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #102 on: 22 Sep 2011, 03:21 pm »
So, no offense, but someone here posted to AQVOX about my questions, they emailed me with concerns and asked me about my DAC, and now claim that because it isn't on their approved list (hardly comprehensive; other DACS with their own power, like the Bryston BDA-1, are on that list!?)) they won't sell me the AQVOX, and cancelled my order!!   This is BS!!  I've tested the Antelope with many power options, and would love to spread the good news of AQVOX to my readers on the HIREZ forum (I mod it), etc.   I also have a few followers on other forums who know I've demo'd many DACS and know a thing or two.  This is nuts.

ebag4

« Reply #103 on: 22 Sep 2011, 03:33 pm »
Ted, you have a PM.

Best,
Ed

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #104 on: 22 Sep 2011, 03:39 pm »
So, no offense, but someone here posted to AQVOX about my questions, they emailed me with concerns and asked me about my DAC, and now claim that because it isn't on their approved list (hardly comprehensive; other DACS with their own power, like the Bryston BDA-1, are on that list!?)) they won't sell me the AQVOX, and cancelled my order!!   This is BS!!  I've tested the Antelope with many power options, and would love to spread the good news of AQVOX to my readers on the HIREZ forum (I mod it), etc.   I also have a few followers on other forums who know I've demo'd many DACS and know a thing or two.  This is nuts.

That is strange.  Did you find out more about it?

JohnR

« Reply #105 on: 22 Sep 2011, 04:08 pm »
That's interesting - I never realized that self-powered devices might still have the USB receiver be bus-powered - "Most sold USB-DAC devices are fitted with BurrBrown / TI 27xx bzw 29xx or C-Media CM102S USB audiochips where the Application Notes do recommend to run the USB-chip with USB-Buspower, and most design engineers do follow this." (from the AQVOX page)

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #106 on: 22 Sep 2011, 04:12 pm »
teb_b, that's very strange they would cancel your order because your DAC is not on their list. Unless they know something about the Antelope DAC that is not compatible with the AQVOX power supply. I have a reference tube DAC that is not on their list either, and the AQVOX works fine with it.  There must have been some misunderstanding between you and the AQVOX representative.

JohnR

« Reply #107 on: 22 Sep 2011, 04:16 pm »
Well, the Zodiac page does say that it uses a custom USB chip, so it seems a reasonable assumption that it wouldn't be bus-powered.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #108 on: 22 Sep 2011, 04:21 pm »
Well, the Zodiac page does say that it uses a custom USB chip, so it seems a reasonable assumption that it wouldn't be bus-powered.

It's not bus-powered, JohnR, but computer power is still coursing through the USB cable, and ground is still required for the Antelope.  So cleaner power is a plus.  What am I missing?

JohnR

« Reply #109 on: 22 Sep 2011, 04:55 pm »
They are saying it's often the USB receiver that is bus-powered, not (necessarily) the whole DAC. According to their webpage : "Most sold USB-DAC devices are fitted with BurrBrown / TI 27xx bzw 29xx or C-Media CM102S USB audiochips where the Application Notes do recommend to run the USB-chip with USB-Buspower, and most design engineers do follow this."

Since the Bryston has a limit of 48k I guess it probably uses one of those chips.

I'm curious to know what "incompatible" means though. They list the Ayre QB9 and Benchmark as incompatible. Does that simply mean that there can be no benefit to the supply?

JohnR

« Reply #110 on: 22 Sep 2011, 05:05 pm »
Sorry if that doesn't make sense, I was responding to the earlier version of your post - my DSL is having fits tonight for some reason.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #111 on: 22 Sep 2011, 05:08 pm »

Since the Bryston has a limit of 48k I guess it probably uses one of those chips.

I'm curious to know what "incompatible" means though. They list the Ayre QB9 and Benchmark as incompatible. Does that simply mean that there can be no benefit to the supply?

Yeah, the Bryston is USB 1.1 so likely a cheap bus-powered receiver (nothing against the very nice DAC, but most folks agree their USB is afterthought and clearly not the reason the BDA-1 is well reviewed).

I agree that the incompatibility is confusing.  I see it this way:  even DACS that use their own power to power the USB chip require ground from the USB cable.  So unless you have a specially made USB cable (that has ground and signal but no 5V+ power) the standard USB cable will be sending dirty computer power through the cable.  The AQVOX can at least, replace that.  Maybe 5V at that point is too much??

Yeah, my DSL to this site is weird too...I think it could be AC?

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #112 on: 22 Sep 2011, 06:49 pm »
Yea, try the AQVOX on your DSL modem.  May be you'll get better signal.  :lol:

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #113 on: 28 Sep 2011, 03:35 am »
ebag4, what did you decide to do with your AQVOX?

ebag4

« Reply #114 on: 30 Sep 2011, 01:19 pm »
ebag4, what did you decide to do with your AQVOX?
Hi Dracule1.  I tried the AQVOX in my system.  I was looking forward to the improvements others have found, unfortunately I could not detect any improvement in my system.  I believe this is largely attributable to to fact that I am powering my Alix with battery already.

My loss is someone's gain, I have put it up on the Trading Post to see if anyone is interested in saving a few $ and shipping time, it is here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=99107.new#new

Best,
Ed

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #115 on: 1 Oct 2011, 02:11 am »
Sorry you didn't find any improvement.  At least we know people with battery power should think twice befoe getting the AQVOX.

gooberdude

« Reply #116 on: 1 Oct 2011, 02:26 pm »
Dave at PI should be in the same boat.  He's been using battery power on his dac & ordered the aqvox.  Hopefully he'll post his impressions soon.

Its good to know that if I ever go to battery power, i can sell something to offset the cost   :lol:

ebag4

« Reply #117 on: 1 Oct 2011, 04:44 pm »
Sorry you didn't find any improvement.  At least we know people with battery power should think twice befoe getting the AQVOX.

I can't say with any certainty that no one will hear a difference if they are using a battery powered server but that was the case in my system.

Best,
Ed

fcavolo

« Reply #118 on: 5 Oct 2011, 05:37 pm »
Just received an AQVOX low noise linear power supply to power my Oyen Digital Mini Pro external HD. Using this PS in conjunction with the Mach 2 Most Beautiful Music FireWire cable (power cut) has made a very nice SQ improvement in my system.

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #119 on: 7 Oct 2011, 10:58 pm »
fcavolo, which DAC are you using?