Amp input vs Source output

jtl

Amp input vs Source output
« on: 21 Dec 2009, 04:45 pm »
I’m hoping somebody could give their opinion on the capability of the following amp and source combination for the potential of either to much or not enough gain with the TVC

Amp input sensitivity 1.8v/37k ohms with a of gain 29db
Source Output 5.75 volts rms at 196 ohms in balance or
             Output 2.75 volts rms at 99 ohms single end

It seems the amp spec may not be great but I’m hoping that output of the source would offset and hopefully make up for the amps low sensitivity. Any opinions would greatly be appreciated

Thanks

roymail

• Roy in TX
Re: Amp input vs Source output
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2009, 09:14 pm »
That should be plenty of gain.  What is the input impedance of the amp.  50>100K is good and low sensitivity.  Others know far more than me, so wait for more info from them.

trebejo

« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2009, 01:40 am »
jtl, there are better specs out there (it being a big world and all that) but in principle there is nothing that offends in the specs that you quote.

You should, however, specify whether your amp will be using xlr or rca inputs along with those specs!

jtl

« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2009, 06:31 pm »
Thanks for the reply

As far as which input to use on the amp I was hoping to experiment with both. My amp gain is actually reduced by 6db and the Impedance increases from 37k to 47k ohms if I used the xlr inputs. My amp is not truly balanced. So my thought process was simply to use the xlr out of the DAC which outputs 5.75 volts into the TVC and use single end connection out of the TVC into the amp. If this results in too much gain, then I would have some flexibility to lower the gain by 6db using xlr connections on the Amp. 

trebejo

« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2009, 10:05 pm »
I think you'll find that the decrease in gain on the xlr inputs is offset by the increase in voltage of the xlr outputs, which come to... precisely 6 db.  :)

You can try both to hear for a difference, but there probably will not be much if any.

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2009, 12:31 am »
i look at your gain structure.
If you can used XLR it would be much better. Having the 5.75 volts would be a nice headroom to have.
but the single ended would work too only because your cdp puts out 2.75 volts which would clip your power amp. But i feel the XLR would be better as you have more headroom to work with
The impedance issue is not a problem and you should not have to worry to much about it.
With the TVC impedance is rarely an issue. Most of the time its GAIN and whether you have enough of it.

If your amp is not really balance but has the balance input. THere is a chance that it does the following Pin 2 Hot signal and Pin 3 Ground. If it does this than you would be getting the XLR voltage of 5.75 but in a single ended connection

milpai

• My Dedicated Audio Room
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2010, 05:10 pm »
My new amp has both, XLR and RCA connections. Does anyone know if we can connect a pair of RCA and XLR to the new amp AT THE SAME TIME, from the TVC? Will this hurt the TVC in any way? In case of the amp, we have an option to switch between RCA and XLR, so that it uses only 1 input.