Bryston vs McIntosh

newportcycle

Bryston vs McIntosh
« on: 11 Aug 2009, 10:27 pm »
Folks,
Looking to upgrade amplifiers.  Im currently running a MAC4200 Integrated 100wpc 8ohm, 75wpc 4ohm, but was thinking of purchasing either a McIntosh MC-2205, 200wpc or a Bryston 4B, 200wpc.  In either case I will be using the Preamp output of the MAC4200.  I like the idea of the Bryston, more than half price of the McIntosh, but having never heard the Bryston, I'm not sure.

I currently have a pair of Neo2X with a servo sub on the way, these will be suplemented in a few months with a pair of OB-7's.  My source is a Sony DVP-S330, which use's a 94Hz/24bit DAC.  Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: Bryston vs McIntosh
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2009, 11:45 pm »
While I've never owned a Bryston 4B nor any Mac gear, I have owned the little Bryston B60 integrated amp for almost a decade and can say that it's very well made and sounds excellent!  The amp section alone is just clean and dynamic and will reveal any deficiencies in any preamp connected to it (including it's own!)

And with Bryston's 20 year warranty, you can be assured your amp will last a lifetime.  I'm taking mine to the grave. :green:

I hope to own a 3B or 4B sometime in my lifetime as well.

Cacophonix

« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2009, 12:46 am »
Just curious -
GR speakers are very efficient .. with this being the case, why are you looking for more power?

phoenix_rising

« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2009, 01:31 am »
Just curious -
GR speakers are very efficient .. with this being the case, why are you looking for more power?

So that it can deal with transients without clipping the amp is the answer I would give, clipping = major distortion

hdspeakerman

« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2009, 01:38 am »
I bought my MC2100 about 35 years ago and still use it every day so I am a little prejudice but I think that the answer would be to hear the Bryston in your system at your house if at all possible and then decide.  I bought a Perreaux amp several years ago without a home audition and it never did sound right at home.  I sold it and bought a MC7300.  Very happy now.

newportcycle

« Reply #5 on: 12 Aug 2009, 10:51 pm »
Simple answer is I just want more power.  Thanks for the response.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2009, 12:06 am »
Just curious -
I also have a pair, and the Neo2x is one of the least efficient of Danny's offerings.  It is sealed and has a sensitivity between 86 and 87 dB over most of its range- still fairly efficient. However, on rare occasion my 30 wpc tube amp will run out of power.  My old Moscode 300 at 150 wpc has never been even slightly stressed.  I'd be actually surprised if going from 100 watts to 150 watts has much effect on the sound.  However, going from one brand of amp to another will most likely change the sound.  Have you thought about a Dodd amp? Nearly all of the GR-Research products were designed using Dodd's.

cujobob

« Reply #7 on: 13 Aug 2009, 12:50 am »
I used a first watt f5 clone for my neo 2x for the best results I've had.  My Mcalister PP150 seems to do better with fullrange speakers like the OB-7 or Onix Ref 2.

The F5 is 25 wpc, and PP150 is 75 wpc.  The clean 75 wpc will run the OB7s louder than I could probably stand.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #8 on: 13 Aug 2009, 01:41 am »
Outlaw makes good amps.

Their 200 watt monoblocks are a steal at $674/pr shipped!

avta

« Reply #9 on: 13 Aug 2009, 01:48 am »
I have a McIntosh MC-252 amp. I have it connected to Harbeth Compact 7 speakers. I think the sound is very lush and accurate and provides lots of power. Here's the link to the product page.  http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/mcintosh-mc252-power-amplifier.asp