220v compatible - A370PEQ OB sub amplifier

dryan01uk

220v compatible - A370PEQ OB sub amplifier
« on: 18 Sep 2022, 11:05 am »
Hi,

I'm about to place an order in the next few days for a couple of 'double trouble' sub kits.  I see in the kit without the flatpack that there is a note about not being compatible with 220-240 AC even though the photos show a voltage selector switch.

120V-60Hz regions only
Due to incompatibilities with 240V mains power, we can no longer offer these amplifiers for much of the global market.

I will need compatibility with 220V and want to order with flat packs.   

The kit with the flat pack doesn't have the note. 

Will I have problems with the amps as long as I make the right voltage selection and is the note therefore in error?

As an aside, I'll be running them along side my X-statiks off an Audiolabs 6000A.   I assume I just connect the sub amps to the relevant pre-outs on the Audiolab amp?  I'd rather not split the signal from the amp speaker binding posts to two separate locations if I can avoid it.

David

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: 220v compatible - A370PEQ OB sub amplifier
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2022, 02:34 pm »
The issue persists with all subwoofer kits, I must have missed that product page. But we cannot ship to your region unfortunately.

The issue is that the power supply of the Rythmik amps often cannot properly handle 220V mains, usually creating a persistent hum that can't easily be fixed.

Due to this issue, and the ongoing chip shortages, Rythmik isn't currently able to work on a version capable of handling 220V regions.
They have also recently asked us not to ship any amps to those regions.

We dont know when or if Rythmik will have a permanent fix, as it may be dependent on the chip shortage subsiding.

dryan01uk

« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2022, 08:28 pm »
Thanks for the reply Hobbs.  Are there any worthwhile alternatives to pursue to provide a complementary bass extension for my X-Statiks?

D

dryan01uk

« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2022, 11:18 pm »
Just as a thought, if I were to use a 220V to 110V AC step-down transformer, as per the link:

https://www.edisons.com.au/2000w-genpower-step-down-transformer-240v-110v-stepdown-voltage-converter-au-us

I assume this would negate this problem and also remove any other electrical noise artifacts on the supply side?  I'd prefer OB Rythmik subwoofers before pursuing other options.

Would it be better to route these queries through Rythmik Audio directly?

D

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2022, 04:41 pm »
I don't know if that will limit current or not. It might be just fine.

dryan01uk

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2022, 01:36 am »
Thanks Danny.

I'll send you an email follow up.

David

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2022, 06:29 pm »
Got it.

Stogie49

« Reply #7 on: 13 Dec 2022, 04:56 pm »
As i'm UK based, i'd like to know the outcome also!!

dryan01uk

« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2022, 08:37 am »
Hi Stogie49,

Have a look at https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=183992.0.

They are in and working fine.

I bought two 2000W rated, step down transformers for the 220vac to 110vac duty, but then decided to try switching over to 220vac to see if there would be any hum....nothing ventured, as they say.

Maybe I've got lucky, but I don't have any 'hum', or at least none that I can hear.  I AM thinking of putting a UPS into the supply circuit, as it will clean up any incoming noise and give me a clean sine wave, plus provide me some 'ride through' on summer brown outs.  Late summer thunder storms are a bit of a thing in Melbourne.

I've got to thank Danny for selling these to me.  They are seriously impressive bits of kit with nothing else like them on the market that I've been able to find.

David

Rikard Ekval

« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2022, 10:30 pm »
The issue persists with all subwoofer kits, I must have missed that product page. But we cannot ship to your region unfortunately.

The issue is that the power supply of the Rythmik amps often cannot properly handle 220V mains, usually creating a persistent hum that can't easily be fixed.

Due to this issue, and the ongoing chip shortages, Rythmik isn't currently able to work on a version capable of handling 220V regions.
They have also recently asked us not to ship any amps to those regions.

Hi. How far back in time is this an known issue, for all of us 220v users, 2018 and forward? Batches or serial numbers to find good vs not so good 220v amps?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 19 Dec 2022, 11:14 pm »
We're not sure.

But it's an issue that has been enough of a problem that Brian (Rythmik) has asked us to stop shipping to 220-240V regions.

Some seem to be more affected than others.
If you've had them for a while and they're still working fine, then yours may never deal with this issue.

Using a step-down transformer is currently the only known way around the issue for the time being.
Just make sure that the transformer is rated for roughly 2x the rated wattage of all devices being used to avoid any issues with loss of dynamics at high volumes.