Corian vs. Piano black finish

davejcb

« Reply #20 on: 16 Apr 2004, 04:28 am »
This wasn't really the info I was looking for, but I found it interesting enough to post.

I wanted MDF vs. Corian cabinet sound comparison, doesn't look like anyone has done that. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, I just figured that people would figure out I'm looking for comparison from models that actually have Corian as an option. I'll make it clearer in the future and avoid assuming.

sdk

« Reply #21 on: 16 Apr 2004, 02:47 pm »
It is actually a very valid question.  It's just that Reference 3A has never offered these two cabinet finished in the same model so the comparison would be impossible as far as Reference 3A goes, but Corian is, in general, a better material to use in cabinets to reduce resonances. Unfortunately, most manufacturers don't use Corian because it is so cost prohibitive.

I can tell you this: my Royal Virtuosos, which are made out of solid Corian are almost completely "dead" sounding. Raping your knuckles againsts the side of the cabinet yields almost no sound at all. If you look at the weight comparison between the Royals and the De Capos, you'll also notice that the Royals are almost twice the weight of the De Capos in the same sized cabinet.  All this translates to superbly defined bass in the Royals. I think when you consider all the upgrades they've added to the Royals apart from the full Corian cabinet, they actually seem like a bargain at their price point. I would have thought just adding the Corian cabinet alone would add $1500 to the price, but look at all the additional upgrades you get:

- SEAS Millenium tweeter with six neodymium magnet and longer voice coil motor.
- Custom made, multiple flat-foil paper in oil capacitor on high pass filter.
- Redesigned Main driver with better parameters.
- Thick metal terminal plates with Cardas bi-wire rhodium binding posts.
- Seven point, perforated internal bracing system.
- Mechanically grounded main driver.
- Proprietary Vibra-Puck driver frame and magnet vibration damping material.
- Van den Hul silver-alloy/LSC (carbon) hybrid internal wiring.
- Aluminum road cases for shipping.

I think this discussion has given me an even greater appreciation for the Royals. If you're ever in Santa Cruz, shoot me an email, I'd be more than happy to let you hear them.

davejcb

« Reply #22 on: 16 Apr 2004, 07:00 pm »
Quote from: sdk
It's just that Reference 3A has never offered these two cabinet finished in the same model so the comparison would be impossible as far as Reference 3A goes, but Corian is, in general, a better material to use in cabinets to reduce resonances.

I see what you're saying, but if you look at this page at the bottom under "Weight" and "Finish", it states there's a 22kg Corian version of the Royal Master and an 18kg MDF version. I haven't found any mention of a Royal Virtuoso in MDF, though.

My Royal Masters are in the mail so I can't say yet for sure, but the seller stated they were the Piano black MDF version. So unless I'm losing it there's an MDF version of the Royal Master. That's what I wanted to compare to the Corian version.

I'd sure love to hear your Royal Virtuosos, but Ottawa is a bit far for an audition...  :wink:

sdk

« Reply #23 on: 16 Apr 2004, 08:13 pm »
You probably know more about the Royal Master than me, but yea, that's interesting that Reference offered these two finishes for the same speaker. I would venture a guess and say the corian finish for the Masters might be more of a decorative veneer than anything else. That would make sense since they're not solid corian. Why would Reference offer two different finishes for the same model if one sounded better? But I understand why you would want an answer to that question. I know I would...

Paul L

« Reply #24 on: 16 Apr 2004, 08:20 pm »
I think the old old Royal Master is the only model has two version.  I was told by another speaker manufacturer before he maufactured his own speaker that the Corian version is a little bit warmer.

Dave, I think everyone here is give you help rather than attacking you.  May be we are not giving you the info that you want.  Since the Royal Master is NLA and I think they are made by older version of Reference 3a company as well, so people's first instinct are thinking the comparison between RV and DC.

Do you know Reference 3a the company has some history.

sdk

« Reply #25 on: 16 Apr 2004, 08:29 pm »
So does Daniel Dehay have anything to do with the current company any longer?

davejcb

« Reply #26 on: 17 Apr 2004, 02:28 am »
Tash told me the Royal Master came in this order:

Royal Master Control - 1994
Royal Master - ?
Royal Master II - 1998

I'll email him again see if I can get a straight answer.

Thanks for the info guys!

davejcb

« Reply #27 on: 17 Apr 2004, 05:18 am »
Here's the answer:

Royal Master series I and series II were offered in both Corian and MDF cabinets.

That means there were MDF cabinets made at least until 1998, not too long ago...