What are you di-capo lovers using for amplification?

reddmadder

I recently auditioned the di-capo-i's and was really taken by their overall presentation,so much so that I'll be getting a pair in a few days. I am wondering what other di- capo owners are using as amplification. I have a pair of vintage Stromberg/Carlson 22 watt modified monoblocks running directly to my Naim cd5/flatcap combo.
 Thanks for any replies
[/b]

Stampeder

« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2004, 01:48 am »
What is your budget?  Tube or SS?

mcrespo71

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2004, 01:49 am »
I'm using a heavily modified CJ PV12A preamp coupled with VTL Monoblock 125 tube amps run in triode mode for 55 watts into the De Capo I's.  Have fun with the speakers and be sure to run them in awhile before judging them too harshly. :D

I've heard the De Capo I's sound magical on 3 watt SET amps, so you can experiment like hell!

reddmadder

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2004, 03:19 am »
I'm not necessarily looking to replace my Strombergs,they do have an incrediable sound.BUT,Iam curious as to what might be a good,commonly regarded "match"for these speakers.A friend of mine runs his with ASL 845's and loves them.

brucegel

what amp
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2004, 08:14 pm »
There are so many amps that work well with decapos so you have to decide if tubes or solid state are your mettle and then how many watts are "enough" for you.3 watts is sufficient if your tastes run towards jazz and folk but if you like more intense dynamics then 25 to fifty will be fine.I use the vtl tiny triodes at twenty five watts in triode mode and never listen in tetrode because the spatial character of the soundstage evaporates.There are many fine amps out there in the 1,000 range so if this is around your budget there is no need to spend more.

Troutbum

DE Capo amplification
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2004, 11:02 pm »
I'm using a Rogue Audio Tempest Magnum integrated tude amp. It does a wonderful job of driving my De Capos.

he46570

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2004, 02:01 am »
I'm using a 2.5W SE 2A3 amp with fantastic results.  Great speakers, very easy to drive.

Paul L

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2004, 05:35 am »
I am using the 47Lab Gaincard and our own F.T.Audio LW-1.

Bryan P

• http://www.otlamp.com/members/BryanPedersen/system.jpg
My System
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2004, 06:30 pm »
http://www.otlamp.com/members/BryanPedersen/system.jpg
Atma-Sphere M60 MKll
Sound wounderful

Jonathan

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2004, 07:07 pm »
My rig is pretty humble compared to some of the other guys around here, but I'm using a Unison Research Unico integrated with phono section. I drives the De Capos easily and sounds quite nice.

reddmadder

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2004, 02:54 am »
Iknow room size is a major consideration whnen you're using 2-10 watts.My room is 24x14x8.Given that room size ,and the fact that I listen to all types of music ,with the exception of large scale classical ,is 2-10watts really viable?

wongstein

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jan 2004, 12:57 am »
Hey Jonathan, did you ever get to try those Bryston Powerpacs?  I'd be interested to know how it sounded.

A

Jonathan

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jan 2004, 02:41 pm »
Hey Jonathan, did you ever get to try those Bryston Powerpacs? I'd be interested to know how it sounded.
Funny thing, that. The Brystons showed up, however they were both DOA. Niether amp would fire up without blowing fuses. Weird.  Apparently, they were both trashed in shipping (the box he used did look pretty beat up, alhtough there was no obvious physical signs of damage on the amps). Needless to say,  I was very happy that this was not a trade--the gentleman who owned the Brystons was kind enough to send them to me (at his expense, no less) just to listen to, but I never did get to hear them.  Right now the amps are at the post office in St. Louis where they're determining what they want to do with them.

I wish I would have had a chance to hear the De Capos with those amps, but that's the way it goes.  On the other hand, I did listen for a bit to the Creek OBH-12 passive pre he sent over with the Brystons. Compared to my friend's Audio Research LS 8 mk II, the Creek was rather lifeless sounding. No obvious colorations or tonal problems, but no energy at all.

mcrespo71

« Reply #13 on: 8 Feb 2004, 07:54 am »
I'd just like to point out that I had absolutely delicious results driving the MM De Capo I's with my Apple I Pod's Op Amp! :o

JUST KIDDING! :lol:  8)

Cardigans Life CD

Stuartbranson

« Reply #14 on: 8 Feb 2004, 10:46 am »
I'm using a Vaic 300b SE integrated amp.  A 15w (with AVVT 302b output tubes as opposed to 11w with 300b's) SET.
Sounds great.