De Capo-i vs Totem Model 1 (not Signature)

infotrad

« on: 13 Oct 2003, 08:41 pm »
I am looking to change my Totem Model 1's (not Signature) mainly because of their lack of bass (and I'm not a bass fanatic), It's just that I want a more "balanced" sound in the audio spectrum.

With it's 8-inch woofer vs the Totem's 5 1/2 inch one and its renowned transparency and higher efficiency, I am hoping that the De Capo would be a significant improvement for my Conrad-Johnson MV55 amplifier (45 watts), provinding better bass definition and more "punch" and liveliness.
 :?:
Andre
Montreal, Canada

Jonathan

In my experience...
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2003, 06:20 pm »
I auditioned the Totem Model Ones at the same time I auditioned the De Capos, using an Audio Analogue Puccini SE integrated and a now forgotten CD player.    In all fairness, I only listened to the Model One for about a minute, since that was all the time it took to determine that I liked the De Capos far better.  As far as bottom end goes, I felt the De Capos were in a different league, with more bottom end and lower midrange information, by far.

As always, your ears and your system may provide an entirely different experience.  Just my two cents worth...

Jon

Jonathan

Addendum to previous reply
« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2003, 02:26 pm »
Hi, Andre:

I just re-read your original post and realized that you own the Totems and are thinking of replacing them with the De Capos. When I posted my original reply, I thought it was the other way around.

Just to be sure you understood my point, the Totems, to my ears, sounded like a mini-monitor, whereas the De Capos sound much more like a full-range speaker. With the DeCapos, not only will you get better bass response, but also better low mids and a far more engaging presentation.  The differences between the two speakers were not subtle (and I still remember the big smile that appeared on my face when we switched from the Totems to the DeCapos...)

Good luck,

Jon

mcrespo71

« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2003, 03:44 pm »
The De Capo I's will be a much easier load on your CJ 45 watt amp and I'm sure they will sound amazing!  I've heard Totem's at shows and was impressed, but not as impressed as I was with De Capo's at the same show.

davehg

• http://musicserver.blogspot.com
Totem's need juice!
« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2003, 11:30 pm »
I owned the Model 1's (now own a pair of Merlin TSM'S) and haven't heard the Capo's. However, your MV55 is probably not the best amp for the Totems, which are not particularly sensitive and have a lower impedance dip.  I actually recall that my Model 1's had a bit more bass than the Merlins, but that this varied depending upon the amp I used.

Totem's prefer high power tube amps or solid state.  Not really a fair comparison to the Capo's. However, your amp should mate will with the Capo's from what everyone here tells me.

rbs350z

« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2003, 07:59 am »
if you don't have high quality and powerfull source equipment, don't bother looking/listening to totem speakers. totem speakers love an amp that has enough power to drive them properly. if you have a weak amp, look else where, if you have very nice source equipment, you can't go wrong with any of the toem line of speakers.