Super 7 Flat Packs.....

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
Re: Super 7 Flat Packs.....
« Reply #40 on: 13 Aug 2018, 07:35 pm »
If I may...

Look, if you want a PRO mirror finish, mlundy hit the nail on the head.

For those who want to start and finish the DIY experience, I can recommend this guy.

https://www.amazon.com/HomeRight-C800971-Painter-Painting-Projects/dp/B071X9FZ7R/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1534188716&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=homeright+paint+sprayer&psc=1

I have recently sprayed a couple guitar bodies and wet sanded them using lacquer with very good results. Thinking about how Jay is sectioning these out, perhaps you could do a nice color finish on the wings, sand them out and clear coat to mirror-like finish. It would be very hard work but in my mind, worth the experience.

For the inside section and baffle, I could see someone doing a nice texture paint or even chalk finish. I have used all the above and they are very forgiving. In my mind, they would end up looking insanely good.

https://www.amazon.com/Rustoleum-285144-Charcoal-Chalked-Ultra/dp/B01J44O9RM/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1534188864&sr=1-3&keywords=rustoleum+chalked+paint

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-223525-Multi-Color-Textured-12-Ounce/dp/B000N3C6EM/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1534188888&sr=1-5&keywords=texture+spray+paint

My 2 cents.

Also, I want these speakers, good work Jay!

nrenter

« Reply #41 on: 13 Aug 2018, 11:45 pm »
My point (or, more accurately, question) is that if you CNC’ed the bafffle / sides (and all the parts traditionally cut from MDF) from a material like Corian, would the complexity / cost of finishing become irrelevant? I would imagine all sections would fit together using biscuits & dowels, fixed using color matched epoxy. From the videos I’ve watched, Corian seems to carve quite nicely, and the S7 seems to be a good candidate (as well as the wedgie).

Even if the costs of the flat pack increased by $1,000 to $1,500, compared to a pro paint job, it could be considered reasonable. I think this type of approach could help you break into new markets - people who are intrigued with the sonic potential of DIY, but not the tools, time, or talent to make the product look professional. Literally selling high end speakers just like IKEA furniture.

Just throwing it out there.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #42 on: 13 Aug 2018, 11:59 pm »
Hey Jonathon,

Yes,  big , botique caps  could be  an  "issue".  If going that  route,  I'd recommend going with   external  c/o's.
Have already been giving  this some thought ..... a  double  layer  amp box that  could   server  double duty as a  c/o  encolosure  as  well might work well...... :scratch:

jay

Jay,

After I posted, I was thinking on the same thing regarding building the c/o somehow into the amp box.  I guess the challenges would be the same as adding an external c/o to any other design, along with maybe having to figure out how to make sure the plate amp (electrically? magnetically?) doesn't do anything funky to the c/o.  Otherwise, I think bundling them together would be a pretty elegant solution.

This might sound like a dumb thought, but any thoughts on somehow putting the c/o in the very base of the cabinet, beneath the servos?  Too big to fit without messing up the tweeter height even more?

Jon

Captainhemo

« Reply #43 on: 14 Aug 2018, 05:21 pm »
My point (or, more accurately, question) is that if you CNC’ed the bafffle / sides (and all the parts traditionally cut from MDF) from a material like Corian, would the complexity / cost of finishing become irrelevant? I would imagine all sections would fit together using biscuits & dowels, fixed using color matched epoxy. From the videos I’ve watched, Corian seems to carve quite nicely, and the S7 seems to be a good candidate (as well as the wedgie).

Even if the costs of the flat pack increased by $1,000 to $1,500, compared to a pro paint job, it could be considered reasonable. I think this type of approach could help you break into new markets - people who are intrigued with the sonic potential of DIY, but not the tools, time, or talent to make the product look professional. Literally selling high end speakers just like IKEA furniture.

Just throwing it out there.

It's not  a bad idea but   then what  do  you do for colors... guys  are  going to want this , that , and  everything  in between.  Nothing  wrong with that but it sure adds to the cost  We  are into  cutting bits and pieces from different sheets etc.  Not  saying it couldn't be done,  just that  it   isn't the most  economical way  nor the   most efficient use of machine  time. 
I'd have to do some digging into  more materials and  available  sizing etc
I do  know  someone who recently  made some cabinets out of corian,  might  have a chat  with  him and get  some  feeback....

jay

nrenter

« Reply #44 on: 14 Aug 2018, 05:27 pm »
An entrepreneurial man once said, "Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black."

However, I'm sure if a customer was willing to pay a premium, you'd be willing to make any color (combination) they'd want.

Again, just throwing it out there.

Captainhemo

« Reply #45 on: 14 Aug 2018, 05:28 pm »
Jay,

After I posted, I was thinking on the same thing regarding building the c/o somehow into the amp box.  I guess the challenges would be the same as adding an external c/o to any other design, along with maybe having to figure out how to make sure the plate amp (electrically? magnetically?) doesn't do anything funky to the c/o.  Otherwise, I think bundling them together would be a pretty elegant solution.

This might sound like a dumb thought, but any thoughts on somehow putting the c/o in the very base of the cabinet, beneath the servos?  Too big to fit without messing up the tweeter height even more?

Jon

Jon
believe me,  I   have thought about   using the base to house the networks but  really  don't  want  to increase height.

jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #46 on: 14 Aug 2018, 05:32 pm »
An entrepreneurial man once said, "Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black."

However, I'm sure if a customer was willing to pay a premium, you'd be willing to make any color (combination) they'd want.

Again, just throwing it out there.

Exactly   :thumb:

And,  we  do appreciate the  feedback / coments,  all helps   

jay

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #47 on: 14 Aug 2018, 05:59 pm »
I think Corian or like kind material would make a fine looking Super 7. A possible problem may be that the thickness is less that what is currently being talked about. This difference would mean most of the dimensions would have to change and the CNC machine would need to be programmed with another set of values.

Another issue is that once the material is cut it will still have a dull edge that in some cases would need to be rounded over and buffed out. 

Otherwise if dimensions could be dealt with the flat pack would be a finished product that simply needs to be put together. The material is not cheap though so I'm not sure a person would really save any money.

Personally I think the best approach is to find a car paint shop that is willing to paint them for you. Or if you are able do it yourself even better.

Greg

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #48 on: 14 Aug 2018, 06:21 pm »
Here is a very informative video that might inspire those who want to go the route of DIY painting.

https://youtu.be/ySPLBjFCf30

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #49 on: 14 Aug 2018, 06:23 pm »
Exactly   :thumb:

And,  we  do appreciate the  feedback / coments,  all helps   

jay

What about putting the passive crossover in the same box as the subwoofer amp?  As long as you build it as a faraday cage, you won't have to worry about stray magnetic fields.

nrenter

« Reply #50 on: 14 Aug 2018, 07:59 pm »
Here is a very informative video that might inspire those who want to go the route of DIY painting.

https://youtu.be/ySPLBjFCf30

LOL...You lost me about 1:15 into it.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #51 on: 15 Aug 2018, 03:08 am »
Very poor video but the info. was helpful.

I would have liked more info. on the thinning of the glue and the finishing process of the edges.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #52 on: 16 Aug 2018, 05:47 pm »
I just had a crazy idea.  So I have a pair of dual OB 16 ohm subs built and finished.  Since Jay started building the triple sub cabinets I’ve considered having a single OB cabinet built for each side.  I figured I could set it on top of, underneath of or simply next to my current subs.

Now with the Super-7 top half becoming available this changes my plan somewhat.  Obviously this won’t work on a triple stack so if I want that third sub I need it to the side.

Ok... here’s the crazy part...  have the top section built with an integrated single OB section.  This allows more freedom to adjust the cabinet so that the tweeter is at the optimal height with potential for space for the crossovers and maybe even an integrated mount for the A370 amp.  This is for those of us with separate dual cabinets.

Thoughts?

Early B.

« Reply #53 on: 16 Aug 2018, 09:47 pm »
I just had a crazy idea.  So I have a pair of dual OB 16 ohm subs built and finished.  Since Jay started building the triple sub cabinets I’ve considered having a single OB cabinet built for each side.  I figured I could set it on top of, underneath of or simply next to my current subs.

Now with the Super-7 top half becoming available this changes my plan somewhat.  Obviously this won’t work on a triple stack so if I want that third sub I need it to the side.

Ok... here’s the crazy part...  have the top section built with an integrated single OB section.  This allows more freedom to adjust the cabinet so that the tweeter is at the optimal height with potential for space for the crossovers and maybe even an integrated mount for the A370 amp.  This is for those of us with separate dual cabinets.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a great idea, especially if you can separate the sub from the top section. This will allow you to experiment by placing the single subs in the back of the room and tossing the top section on speaker stands.

Danny Richie

« Reply #54 on: 16 Aug 2018, 09:58 pm »
Keep in mind that the crossover point between the panels and the subs are in the 180Hz to 200Hz range. That crossover dictates that the distances must be kept really close. So the upper planar drivers need to be right on top of the servo woofers. Moving them away as separates means they will not blend well.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #55 on: 17 Aug 2018, 05:31 am »
Keep in mind that the crossover point between the panels and the subs are in the 180Hz to 200Hz range. That crossover dictates that the distances must be kept really close. So the upper planar drivers need to be right on top of the servo woofers. Moving them away as separates means they will not blend well.

I thought that might be an issue. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #56 on: 5 Sep 2018, 05:27 pm »
Jay,

Do you plan of offering grill frames, especially with the monitor version or will the baffles have enough room for the builder to add grills if they wish?

Mike

2bigears

« Reply #57 on: 5 Sep 2018, 05:53 pm »
 :D what's the progress word Jay ?  Ready to cut some ?  :D

Captainhemo

« Reply #58 on: 5 Sep 2018, 06:34 pm »
:D what's the progress word Jay ?  Ready to cut some ?  :D

Send me a pm or email and we can talk, no real commitments at this point  so  sort of in a holding pattern..

Mike,   may offer the grills but they add more cost than one may think as  there is a lot.of material wasted.   On both models,  the side panels are .25"  proud of the baffle, that "lip is  radius'd.... pretty easy to fit  some grills in place. 

If we do   offer them, they'll be  just included and go out with every  kit / finished cabinets.

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #59 on: 5 Sep 2018, 07:09 pm »
Jay,

So if I used 1/2” thick material for a frame it would nestel in and be 1/4” proud of the side wings, correct?