Linked Events

• AXPONA - Audio Expo North America: 24 Apr 2015 - 26 Apr 2015

AXPONA - Audio Expo North America, April 24-26 2015

TomS

Re: AXPONA - Audio Expo North America, April 24-26 2015
« Reply #100 on: 27 Apr 2015, 03:04 am »
It was a very enjoyable show and great to catch up with a few folks. And BRM, thanks to you, knucklehead, I am officially now a conehead. We shall see how that turns out  :wink:

Rooms of special note for me:

- I loved the Mosaics, as I had heard much about them, but had never heard them personally. He teased about all manner of secret sauce, but whatever he does, they sounded terrific each time I walked in. All Allnic electronics probably didn't hurt either.

- Vinnie Rossi LIO and Harbeth HL5's. Ok, I admit I'm completely biased, since I own one, but they did a terrific job with the setup. Harbeth has never been something for me and I don't listen near field, but they sounded excellent here. As Pete said, watch out, more good stuff is coming.

- Klaus always kills it with his Odyssey stuff, and this show was no different. He had the room treatment nailed, even though the GIK guys weren't there to assist this time. Totally embarrassed many of the six figure systems for well under $10k. Great job, as usual!

- Greg and Pete had another great setup in the Volti/Triode Wire Lab/Border Patrol/WT room. It was pleasant to sit down and hang out, with good music choices each time I walked in, on a modest vinyl setup. They never disappoint.

- For those of you with stand mount speakers. If you're not using the IsoAcoustics isolation devices, you're missing a LOT. They had an A/B demo with identical speakers and it was crazy how the mids snapped into focus and the bass instantly un-bloated itself. Good friend Dpd bought a pair on the spot for his GR N2X's so I'm looking forward to his feedback.

- OK, I'm a believer in "if you can't say something nice...", but oh, yeah those "affordable" Raidho brethren noted above. I'm sure they worked hard to put their best foot forward, but these just plain hurt.

- I've forgotten the exhibitor's name now, but they had mirror imaged rooms and 2 identical pairs of big Sonus Faber panel speakers, identical front end setups and the same music playing in both adjacent rooms simultaneously. One room was treated, one was not, with obvious positive effect. It had to be a huge effort, but clearly demonstrated what is possible in a small room, even without low freq EQ. Well done.

There were a few more people finally doing a "proper demo" imho. 1) Smile politely, invite and seat visitors, tell everyone, including fellow exhibitors in the room, to shut up, because you're doing a demo to best display your wares, not them 2) Play 3-5 pre-chosen short clips 30-45 sec each where you know what you're trying to demonstrate. Say something interesting and insightful about each one, what to listen for 3) Point it out again afterward for those that don't get it 4) Play 1 or 2 requests max so seat hogs realize they should leave soon afterward 5) Accept questions and answer ones that make you sound smart and why your gear is so great 6) Note prospects for follow up, chat outside to set the hook 7) Repeat

Lastly, thanks to all the exhibitors who work so hard to impress, as it's all hugely expensive, time consuming, and stressful. I'm soooo grateful I don't have to pack all that gear up and get it home, just a carry on bag for me. Those Vapors made my back hurt just looking at them.

I feel the AXPONA folks have improved greatly each year in Chicago. Hopefully attendance was strong enough to sustain it for next year, though I suspect some of these shows are going to fall by the wayside due to saturation.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #101 on: 27 Apr 2015, 03:12 am »
So sorry that we only had time for quick impressions.  As I recall I was standing way to the left for maybe 30 seconds.  There as a "rightness" of sound (and appearance) that top quality gear should (but too rarely) provides.  Design/finishes of the gear was very nice without being over the top.  According to the program and the material I picked up it was the Poseidon v.2 (a MTTMWW arrangement with new 8 inch drivers, 97 dB/w/m, $16,450).

Thanks!

Glady86

« Reply #102 on: 27 Apr 2015, 07:11 am »
I enjoyed this year's show much more than last year's.  It is bigger but far smaller than the overwhelming RMAF (if you try and hoof it to all the rooms!).

I had plenty of fun hanging out with AC'ers.  We are a good bunch.  Many of us attended TedB's talk on DSD with his recording engineer buddy Alex(?).  And I had to teach TomS a few new tricks wrt audio!!! ha, gotcha!

I was able to circle back into most every room that interested me multiple times.  Friday was light traffic, Saturday heavy, Sunday very light.

Watch out for Vinnie Rossi - he and his lovely wife really have some traction with his new Lio unit.  So versatile in its modularity.  Fantastic sexy look design.  Super functional.  And those ultracapacitors playing off the grid make for a dead quiet unit.  I'm anticipating his design of a balanced unit soon.  He is really onto something here.

TomS and I were just commenting to each other one day how there were no bad sounding rooms as we walked down the halls and then we hit 2 in a row.  So we jinxed ourselves!  crap But there really were very few "bad" rooms.  There were many high dollar speakers with glaring irregularities like hot midrange or hot top ends but nothing that drove you out of the room.  I used a lousy, doesn't suck, great room trio of buckets to mentally rate what I heard.

I was humbled to visit many rooms with Dennis Murphy who quickly burst my bubble about what I thought I was hearing when he started picking apart the sound with his superior abilities.  When he pointed out the errors you could quickly realize how the rest of us are mere mortals when it comes to analyzing frequency response. Humbling for sure. I did manage to drag him into one room where we stayed for some time, meaning I got one right (out of 4). :o

My top 5 rooms for sound were (IMO):

D'Agonistino/Wilson - absolutely superb reproduction (for a zillion dollars)

Sonus Faber - monster $100k++ speakers I lust over just played everything thrown at them (again with a zillion dollars of gear behind them)

Salk and AVA - best overall balance of bass and smooth highs.  I hate to say this being a huge Salk customer as I will be accused of bias, but not very many rooms had it all (for under a zillion dollars)

Mosaic Audio ($20k speakers) - excellent imaging augmented by some subs.

Quad - the tall ones, absolutely disappeared in the room.  All the music was detached from the black monoliths.  Very nice.

Honorable mentions - the small Gershmans; the steel/aluminum/diamond $68k speakers in the Thrax room; and the big Martin Logans

A good show, friendly vendors, manageable hallway traffic, convenient salads/sandwiches offered in the hallway by the marketplace, live music during lunchtime (very nice), good discounts to be had, lots of talk about upcoming shows.
I see you pictured the Emerald Physics 2.3 but no comment on the sound. What did you think of them? I have the 4.7 model and like them better than any of my previous speakers. I owned a model from Vapor Audio and Odyssey,  both highly praised brands here at AC.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #103 on: 27 Apr 2015, 12:27 pm »
Nice photos Eugene.

Crap, forgot the Volti room.  The imaging was fantastic.  Had a great chat with Triode Pete in the hallway friday morning. 
Yes, and Klaus did it again.  I went in there 3 times! Escaped the bear hugs each time, whew!

Yours truly, knucklehead.

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #104 on: 27 Apr 2015, 12:54 pm »
Nice photos Eugene.

Crap, forgot the Volti room.  The imaging was fantastic.  Had a great chat with Triode Pete in the hallway friday morning. 
Yes, and Klaus did it again.  I went in there 3 times! Escaped the bear hugs each time, whew!

Yours truly, knucklehead.

It was great to see some older and meet some new AC members! I hope everyone "Had Fun", our theme for this weekend at AXPONA... from the looks of our whiteboard "Comment Board", it appears we accomplished our mission!

Cheers,
Pete

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #105 on: 27 Apr 2015, 01:02 pm »
Can't get the Gibson Les Paul (who invented solid electric guitar and multi-channel recording) Reference Monitors out of my head:

- 2-way active designs with touches of guitar amps (of course)
- carved (slightly) flamed maple baffles (cherry, cherry flame, or tobacco flame with ivory trim - just like the guitars, unique and just gorgeous)
- 1 inch carbon coated titanium tweeter
- non-woven carbon woofer (4 inch, 6 inch, or 8 inch)
- noiseless front ports
- high peak output (109 - 118 dB)
- smooth (entertaining/enjoyable, not dry/fatiguing) yet neutral/accurate (meant for studio work too) presentation
- sound bigger than they appear
- all the typical studio monitor attributes

line up:

4 - $599 each; 55 - 47,000 Hz, desktop use
6 - $799 each; 37 - 47,000 Hz, desktop or room use
8 - $999 each; 31 - 47,000 Hz, large room use

gibson.com

roscoeiii

« Reply #106 on: 27 Apr 2015, 01:09 pm »
Can't get the Gibson Les Paul (who invented solid electric guitar and multi-channel recording) Reference Monitors out of my head:

- carved (slightly) flamed maple baffles (cherry, cherry flame, or tobacco flame with ivory trim - just like the guitars, unique and just gorgeous)
- noiseless front ports
- smooth (entertaining/enjoyable, not dry/fatiguing) yet neutral/accurate (meant for studio work too) presentation

line up:

gibson.com

How did you find the tweeter? Felt a touch hot to me,  but that could have been at least somewhat due to what they were playing when I was in the room.

eventhorizon

« Reply #107 on: 27 Apr 2015, 02:01 pm »
I know you were eyeing those GIbson monitors, they were neat looking :)

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #108 on: 27 Apr 2015, 02:14 pm »
Anyone stop by the Endeavor Audio room and hear the new E5's?  Impressions?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #109 on: 27 Apr 2015, 02:27 pm »
Love the Cherry burst maple finish on the Gibson monitors.

Don_S

« Reply #110 on: 27 Apr 2015, 03:13 pm »
Some show impressions:

I readily admit these rankings are not only due to the quality of the speakers, but also the room and the music exhibitors chose to play, which for the most part is wimpy jazz that doesn't stress speakers at all.  Also, I certainly did not visit every room.  But I'm going to focus on my favorite rooms, rather than those where something went wrong.

2nd: a tie - Sanders/Magtech & Pure Audio/Psvane
While polar opposites the two systems tied for 2nd were the Sanders Audio room and the Pure Audio Project .  Utterly different systems in presentation, though both dipole.  The Pure Audio perhaps had sins of omission, but it felt right and room-filling and fun, like you expect from an open baffle running off a single-ended amp.  Sanders might have had some bass integration issues, but was the most transparent speaker I've heard, beating out other 'stats on the floor.  Amps didn't strike me as solid-state at all (a good thing).

You mentioned the music exhibitors chose to play. Did Roger Sanders finally allow attendees to play their own music or did he stick with his limited play list?

dminches

« Reply #111 on: 27 Apr 2015, 03:32 pm »
How did you find the tweeter? Felt a touch hot to me,  but that could have been at least somewhat due to what they were playing when I was in the room.

I found them way too hot for me too.  Loved the look, but they were not to my liking.

Scott F.

« Reply #112 on: 27 Apr 2015, 04:06 pm »

- noiseless front ports

line up:

gibson.com

Those are just too cool 8)

I'll have to check and see if the local Guitar Center carries those. I'd like to hear them in person.

Eugene2

« Reply #113 on: 27 Apr 2015, 04:08 pm »
I found them way too hot for me too.  Loved the look, but they were not to my liking.

They are still a work in progress, they changed the crossover twice before Sunday.  The upper mid and treble were much better balanced on Sunday.

dB Cooper

« Reply #114 on: 27 Apr 2015, 04:17 pm »
Anybody here get to the AIX Records/Benchmark/Revel ballroom? They were playing surround 24/96 source material only and would be interested in some independent opinions. Was nowhere near Chicago so I have to live vicariously...

I'm generally not a fan of surround because the more speakers, the smaller the sweet spot, which isn't a trade off I like. But I admit it can impress when done well.

roscoeiii

« Reply #115 on: 27 Apr 2015, 05:32 pm »
They are still a work in progress, they changed the crossover twice before Sunday.  The upper mid and treble were much better balanced on Sunday.

Changed the crossover itself, or just adjusted the trim on the treble adjustment on the back?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #116 on: 27 Apr 2015, 06:01 pm »
Those are just too cool 8)

I'll have to check and see if the local Guitar Center carries those. I'd like to hear them in person.

According to a youtube I found yesterday produced by Guitar Center, only their top 40 stores will stock the Gibson monitors.  Around here, Guitar Centers carry only low end monitors.   :(

klamka

« Reply #117 on: 27 Apr 2015, 06:46 pm »
It was an OK show .
Best rooms to me :
Audio Note room , Goldmund /Kaiser acoustics Kawero speakers (absolutely the best mainstream high end medium speaker I heard at any show) MBL room (when they played civilized music with medium volume )  / Sardunis Horns and  surprise Volti horns (they uniformly sucked in any other shows I heard in the past)
Nick Doshi and Wilson Audio , never heard small Wilson sounding that good.
Honorable mention , Audiokinesis speakers , Rayan Speakers , Acoustic Zen room
Biggest disappointment
Lamm room with big speakers -eekh !
Magico -unlistenable , harsh and ugly
Sonus Faber / ARC unforgivable clinical , thin and etchy upper range for system of that class and  cost , glossy gliding string crescendos ,
Salk Exotica -had a big hopes for alnico sound but nothing there , no tone ,no finesse - go listen to Audio Note and see how it's done
Tannoy DC -utter  crap "alnico sound " kiss my a... I should bring my old vintage DC REDS and show them what it means .
Honorable RED TOMATO goes to Mcintosh. (Next year I suggest to crank volume even harder up)
 and to bunch of fat , ugly and demoralized ratpack of audio reviewers . Most of them should be denied access just for the lunatic arrogant behavior.

dminches

« Reply #118 on: 27 Apr 2015, 07:40 pm »
<snip>
Best rooms to me :
Nick Doshi and Wilson Audio , never heard small Wilson sounding that good.
<snip>

You are the only other person to mention this room.  I thought it sounded great and I have never been a lover of Wilson speakers. 

P.S.  Nick is a really nice guy.

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #119 on: 27 Apr 2015, 07:53 pm »
and to bunch of fat , ugly and demoralized ratpack of audio reviewers . Most of them should be denied access just for the lunatic arrogant behavior

Why don't you tell us what you really think?  :wink: