Amp/DAC combos for HD800s

jawks

Re: Amp/DAC combos for HD800s
« Reply #20 on: 3 Oct 2019, 01:30 pm »
Glad to hear that you're up early and enjoying your new Magni 3, Alex!

Anybody have personal experience with Mjolnir 2/Gungnir multibit vs Ragnarok 2/Yggdrasil 2?  Is one likely to reap a lot more sonic bliss from the Ragnarok 2/Yggdrasil 2 for the higher price?  I realize that that question is somewhat subjective.

I've been doing more reading about the iFi combo that was suggested earlier in this thread.  Both the iCan Pro and the iDSD Pro seem like solid contenders.  I wonder how they fare against the Schiit combo.  Herb Reichert made a brief comparison of the iDSD Pro and Yggdrasil 2 in his review of the iDSD Pro in Stereophile:

"The iDSD's combination of attention-grabbing transparency and muscular drive exceeded even Mytek's Manhattan II DAC in those regards, and its natural three-dimensionality exceeded those of both the HoloAudio Spring and Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DACs
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/ifi-audio-pro-idsd-da-processorheadphone-amplifier-page-2#bDMQ8ZJzIQJ0S1EF.99"

I like that the iFi components have a small footprint and stack up nicely with each other.  The Schiit components also stack up nicely but are bit bulkier in size.

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #21 on: 3 Oct 2019, 01:51 pm »
I own the iFi stack and it's probably my favorite solid state combo for HD800's. 
I like tubes and the higher end Woo components are IMO wonderful with the
Senn's.  With that said...I still own the iFi.
YMMV,
Hibuck...

jawks

« Reply #22 on: 3 Oct 2019, 01:54 pm »
Thanks, Hibuckhobby!

Glad to hear that you like your iFi stack!  Did you get to audition these before you purchased them?  Were you considering other models as well and was there something in particular that drew you to the iFi?

Albert

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #23 on: 3 Oct 2019, 02:03 pm »
Thanks, Hibuckhobby!

Glad to hear that you like your iFi stack!  Did you get to audition these before you purchased them?  Were you considering other models as well and was there something in particular that drew you to the iFi?

Albert

iFi is one of the few SS amps that really gets the tonal information correct, without losing sharpness and resolution.