Roma

WGH

Roma
« on: 17 Dec 2018, 04:57 am »
Roma, the new film by Alfonso Cuarón is an absolute masterpiece, one of the best films of the last decade. Even though the film is now streaming on Netflix it should be seen on the big screen, shot on 65mm film in black and white, each frame is stunning.

"The most personal project to date from Academy Award-winning writer/director Alfonso Cuarón (Gravity, Children of Men, Y Tu Mamá También), Roma follows Cleo (Yalitza Aparicio), a young domestic worker for a family in the middle-class neighborhood of Roma in Mexico City.

Delivering an artful love letter to the women who raised him, Cuarón draws on his own childhood to create a vivid and emotional portrait of domestic strife and social hierarchy amidst the political turmoil of the 1970s. Roma is Mexico’s Official Selection for Best Foreign Language Film consideration at the 91st Academy Awards."

The NY Times has a terrific article:

After ‘Gravity,’ Alfonso Cuarón Had His Pick of Directing Blockbusters. Instead, He Went Home to Make ‘Roma.’
The director’s new film tells the story of his childhood in Mexico — but seen from the vantage of the domestic worker who raised him.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/13/magazine/alfonso-cuaron-roma-mexico-netflix.html

stlrman

Re: Roma
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2018, 05:54 pm »
Thanks for sharing your passion for this film with us. Nice review!!

I’m not sure this is playing anywhere near me at the theater, but this movie has been on my radar, and we will at least watch on my “big screen “.

I hope others weigh in when they see it .

I have seen it on many best movies of year lists .

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2019, 05:03 am »
Thanks, WGH...just added it to my Netflix queue.

nature boy

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2019, 12:45 pm »
A truly wonderful, moving movie about the human condition and it's many conflicts. It will touch your soul.

NB

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2019, 03:33 pm »
Roma also has an immersive soundscape, I saw it in the theater and the sounds of 1970 Mexico City surrounded us.
The NYTimes has an interview with Alfonso Cuarón and the sounds of Roma:

Mexico City as the Director of ‘Roma’ Remembers It (and Hears It)
Alfonso Cuarón revisits the sights and sounds of the neighborhood that inspired his critically acclaimed film.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/02/movies/alfonso-cuaron-roma-mexico-city.html

"In the film, the sweet-potato vendor has company: the garbage collector swinging a hand bell; the knife sharpener tooting a pan flute; the honey seller hollering as if calling for a lost dog. These calls are all part of the tumultuous aural landscape of Mexico City, as familiar to the city’s residents today as they were in the 1970s, when the action in “Roma” unfolds."