Netflix- time to ditch it?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Netflix- time to ditch it?
« on: 8 Dec 2018, 03:11 am »
Well, I can't say as it's a surprise but I'm pretty disappointed to see Daredevil cancelled.  Now that Disney has its own streaming service all the Marvel and Star Wars content will likely be gone soon.  Almost certainly Jessica Jones will get the axe as soon as the 3rd season drops.  In theory they have a lot of good stuff but if I'm being honest the only thing I use it for is the Marvel shows and BoJack Horseman.  I could either just wait til the new season is out and get Netflix for one month, binge, then drop it, or I could just by the Blu-ray discs and watch them anytime.  The $130 per year I waste on Netflix would buy all the seasons of the few shows I actually watch.

I'm kind of bummed but it really has me thinking.  I've been a subscriber for a long time!  But every year or two the price goes up and realistically I'm not getting much for my money.  My new place only has DSL, and it's the worst internet I've had since the days of dial-up. :duh:  To be honest I only watched a dozen movies streaming in the last couple years and that was with good internet.

It's ironic that TV has arguably never been better than it is today but I seem to have the least interest in TV that I've had in 30 years.  I've had to force myself to watch the 2nd season of Westworld and once GoT is done, and with Netflix going down the tube, I'm not sure there's any point to TV (for me).

What do you folks think?

ajzepp

Re: Netflix- time to ditch it?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2018, 01:14 pm »
I'm still in mourning over the loss of FilmStruck...

wushuliu

« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2018, 06:56 am »
Well, I can't say as it's a surprise but I'm pretty disappointed to see Daredevil cancelled.  Now that Disney has its own streaming service all the Marvel and Star Wars content will likely be gone soon.  Almost certainly Jessica Jones will get the axe as soon as the 3rd season drops.  In theory they have a lot of good stuff but if I'm being honest the only thing I use it for is the Marvel shows and BoJack Horseman.  I could either just wait til the new season is out and get Netflix for one month, binge, then drop it, or I could just by the Blu-ray discs and watch them anytime.  The $130 per year I waste on Netflix would buy all the seasons of the few shows I actually watch.

I'm kind of bummed but it really has me thinking.  I've been a subscriber for a long time!  But every year or two the price goes up and realistically I'm not getting much for my money.  My new place only has DSL, and it's the worst internet I've had since the days of dial-up. :duh:  To be honest I only watched a dozen movies streaming in the last couple years and that was with good internet.

It's ironic that TV has arguably never been better than it is today but I seem to have the least interest in TV that I've had in 30 years.  I've had to force myself to watch the 2nd season of Westworld and once GoT is done, and with Netflix going down the tube, I'm not sure there's any point to TV (for me).

What do you folks think?

Saying Netflix is going down the tube because they axed the weakest Marvel properties is a stretch. I have issues with Netflix but they have some excellent content as everyone knows. Those Marvel shows were made with drawn out plots and stingy budgets. Only people complaining are comics fans and I don’t know why considering that with Disneys channel they will likely have bigger budgets and more direct control under Feige.

Like ajzepp said, the real travesty is filmstruck. Which is why over the years I’ve focused on purchasing discs. Because streaming content is ephemeral and can be gone at any moment.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2018, 03:18 am »
In case it wasn't obvious I am one of those Marvel fans! :lol:  And I've got a storage shed full of comics poly bagged with acid free backing boards to prove it.  Daredevil and Jessica Jones are probably in my top ten favorite shows in all of human history.  Take the few things away that I religiously watch and Netflix is kinda meh to me.

Never heard of filmstruck.  What is/was it?

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2018, 03:57 am »

Like ajzepp said, the real travesty is filmstruck. Which is why over the years I’ve focused on purchasing discs. Because streaming content is ephemeral and can be gone at any moment.

It really made me angry at first. I did a free trial with them a couple years ago, but they didn't quite have it together yet. Then in May of this year I liked it so much I paid for a year in advance. I had a blast discovering older, indy and foreign films I'd never heard of before. Became a huge Burt Lancaster fan. Then the bottom fell out and they were gone. With all that garbage out there, it's just a shame that such a service couldn't establish a stronger foot hold in the marketplace. They sent me an email and said that Criterion is likely going to start up their own service, so that may be worth looking into...but yeah, I was really bummed to lose FilmStruck. Hell, they even had someone clever doing their social media...a few times FilmStruck was trending on Twitter as a result. Just not enough to keep them viable, I guess.  :(

I'm with you on buying more discs, also. As impressive as the quality of streaming is these days, I popped in a bluray for the first time in a good while last weekend and was shocked at how beautiful it looked and sounded (The Revenant). I may buy a few more for the same reasons you cited.