DVA-M225 owners, what preamps are you using?

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
Re: DVA-M225 owners, what preamps are you using?
« Reply #20 on: 9 Sep 2023, 02:00 am »
The digital preamp has been available for several years.  https://avahifi.com/products/dva-digital-preamplifier

Are you designing a xlr based preamp to work with the differential power amps?

eduke55

« Reply #21 on: 15 Sep 2023, 09:56 pm »
I'm using my DVA-M225's with a Benchmark LA-4 line stage(preamp) using XLR outputs. These amps are quite surprising compared to much much expensive amps I have had in my system. Extremely listenable sound, and more than enough power for my Joseph Audio Perspective 2's.
 Note: If you have a dac that has adjustable gain outputs, plug them directly to the 225's and enjoy. I do this when I'm digital/streaming listening exclusively.

Warped Mind

« Reply #22 on: 21 Sep 2023, 10:30 pm »
I've just recently received my DVA M225 amps. I'm auditioning these monos to determine if I like them better than my Fet Valve 400R I've had for 5.5 years. With Frank's 30 day guarantee I couldn't pass up the chance to get these from the great reviews I've read. The preamp I'm using is the Rogue Audio RP-7. From dac to amps is XLR cabling. I only have about 10 hours on the amps. I'm guessing around 50 hours should be a good break in for the equipment, and my ears to adjust to the sound.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #23 on: 21 Sep 2023, 11:44 pm »
Recently swapped in my Modwright LS100 pre, balanced out (single ended) from Pre to amps, skipping the R2X. Nice, can't say there is a dramatic difference from prior CF & Ultra sound with the R2X. Simply means one less item to turn on. Let us know your thoughts WM once evaluated.

Warped Mind

« Reply #24 on: 22 Sep 2023, 12:22 am »
Let us know your thoughts WM once evaluated.

Hi Arthur. I will. So far it is similar is some aspects to the Fet Valve and a little different in others. High end seems a little smoother sounding, and a little bit more clarity in the mids. Bass is very close between the two. As I get more hours burned in I look forward to hearing more differences.

gammi

« Reply #25 on: 12 Nov 2023, 11:10 pm »
IME the DVA 225s sound wonderful with any balanced Preamp.   I didn't like them as much with my single ended  Tube Preamp.  The aVA Pre and the Okto are voiced very similarly IMO. Im using an Aurender Streamer.  Lastest toy is en route the Holo Spring KTE with preamp.  I believe it will be a notch above the Okto but we will see. 

And for the record I've tried a dozen or more amps with my Spatials and the pairing with the DVA 225s is the best I've had so far in my large living room (large living room for me makes a high power amp mandatory as low watt tubes just aren't enough ).

Would love to know what you thought of the Holo Spring KTE with the DVA 225.
I happen to have a Holo Bliss Amp and that's what I'd be using to pre-amp the DVA's if I get them and I believe the Spring + Pre and the Bliss have the same attenuation circuitry.

gammi

« Reply #26 on: 14 Nov 2023, 01:12 am »
Sorry to double post but I was also wondering if it would be better to use my Holo Bliss preamp capabilities or use digital attenuation via my Gustard R26 DAC?
What are the pros/cons of each?

maxima95

« Reply #27 on: 14 Nov 2023, 04:47 am »
Mary - Is there any thought being given to developing an analog preamp to work with the differential power amps?

Thanks.

morganc

« Reply #28 on: 14 Nov 2023, 04:14 pm »
Sorry to double post but I was also wondering if it would be better to use my Holo Bliss preamp capabilities or use digital attenuation via my Gustard R26 DAC?
What are the pros/cons of each?

No idea!  Why don't you listen and tell us :)?
I found the 225s to sound amazing with the Holo Spring, Okto Dac and the AVA Digital Pre. 
My guess is there will be only subtle differences adding in the Preamp but that's just a guess as I do prefer the Holo Spring and AVA to the Okto. 

Mary

• Industry Participant
  • AVA Associate
« Reply #29 on: 14 Nov 2023, 06:40 pm »
Mary - Is there any thought being given to developing an analog preamp to work with the differential power amps?

Thanks.

Hi Maxima,

We currently are not working on XLR outputs on our preamplifiers. However, the AVA R2X works seamlessly with an analog preamplifier.

https://avahifi.com/collections/accessories/products/dva-r2x

maxima95

« Reply #30 on: 16 Nov 2023, 02:58 pm »
Thank you Mary.

figcon

« Reply #31 on: 16 Nov 2023, 04:19 pm »
I am using a pair of DVA M225's, the FET valve CFR preamp and the DVA R2X and they sound great. I've owned way too much gear over the years and have been a dealer for some famous brands in North Carolina and I can tell you with certainty that there is terrific sound quality, as well as value with current AVA stuff. Not a paid spokesperson!!

peter4jc

• AVA DM-225's & Vision SLR; Philharmonic Audio HT's
« Reply #32 on: 22 Nov 2023, 08:55 pm »
I am using a pair of DVA M225's along with the Vision SLR preamp w/ phono circuit, and the AVA R2X in between them.  Driving some Philharmonic Audio HT Towers and M&K sub... It's the best-sounding (and last) system I've owned and needless to say I'm very happy.

groovybassist

« Reply #33 on: 23 Nov 2023, 02:26 pm »
+1 on the Philharmonic Audio BMR HT Towers; best speakers I’ve personally owned

Warped Mind

« Reply #34 on: 27 Mar 2024, 01:37 am »
Let us know your thoughts WM once evaluated.
It has been awhile but I still have the M225s. I just could not give them up. I didn't really need them as I have the Fet Valve 400R but I wanted them. I treated myself to an early Christmas present. Once the amps were broken in it really shined in my system. Great synergy with the other components (Audio Mirror Tubadour V, Rogue Audio RP-7, Tekton Design Pendragons). The 400R is a great amp. But the M225 sounds like a more refined updated version. The mid range presence and balance had more range and depth. A little more definition as well. The bass was deep and more controlled. It slams very nicely when the music calls for it. The highs were natural sounding where it didn't call attention to itself. It just sounded like it should. For such a small package for the amps they are bigger sounding than they look. A couple of my friends thought they were class D. I had to explain no they are solid state and perform way above its weight. I'm very content with the amps while I can continue to sit back and enjoy the music.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #35 on: 28 Mar 2024, 02:48 am »
It has been awhile but I still have the M225s. I just could not give them up. I didn't really need them as I have the Fet Valve 400R but I wanted them. I treated myself to an early Christmas present. Once the amps were broken in it really shined in my system. Great synergy with the other components (Audio Mirror Tubadour V, Rogue Audio RP-7, Tekton Design Pendragons). The 400R is a great amp. But the M225 sounds like a more refined updated version. The mid range presence and balance had more range and depth. A little more definition as well. The bass was deep and more controlled. It slams very nicely when the music calls for it. The highs were natural sounding where it didn't call attention to itself. It just sounded like it should. For such a small package for the amps they are bigger sounding than they look. A couple of my friends thought they were class D. I had to explain no they are solid state and perform way above its weight. I'm very content with the amps while I can continue to sit back and enjoy the music.

Thanks for the update WM  :thumb:  Can't say I'm surprised, while I only run them occasionally during the winter months, they still impress me when I do. I had a Fet Valve 550, fine amp, but with age just more bulk than I wanted to move around. Traded it in on the DAC Mk5, Frank had no problem selling it. They are fine amps, but I agree the M225 does surpass them. As summer approaches they'll become the primary driving force, allowing my Don Sachs KT88 tube rig to 'rest' during the hotter months. Two quite different, but both excellent flavors and presentations. Happy listening.  8)

BadDNA

« Reply #36 on: 28 Mar 2024, 01:56 pm »

Agreed! Listening to my M225's always leaves a smile on my face, especially with high quality material. The control and slam are surprising at times. Now I am wondering what one of Frank's preamps would bring to the table vs my Parasound P6. I'd have to add a DAC if I did put a AVA pre in the system, and I'm limited on funds at this point. There's also the bass management aspect as the P6 high passes my mains at 80hz.

morganc

« Reply #37 on: 28 Mar 2024, 03:57 pm »
The digital Pre is a Pre and Dac built in one and pairs very well with the 225’s. 

BadDNA

« Reply #38 on: 28 Mar 2024, 05:42 pm »
The digital Pre is a Pre and Dac built in one and pairs very well with the 225’s.

Yes, that would be a nice addition, I'm sure. A bit pricey for me, and that would still leave the issue of high passing my main monitors. Also, I'm using a MiniDSP 2x4HD to implement and EQ dual subwoofers. The MiniDSP is connected to the P6's dedicated sub-out and is not in the signal path to the main speakers. Lots of flexibility in the P6, which makes it more difficult to replace.