BRYStON BDA-1

BenBau

Re: BRYStON BDA-1
« Reply #40 on: 21 Sep 2008, 12:40 am »
I would really like an "all digital" stereo preamp.
Adding a passive volume control and a headphone-output to the BDA-1 would make the perfect PC companion.

Another alternative would be the BP-26 with the optional DAC board.

Mr. Tanner, would you please answer these questions:
- Will the digital board in the BP-26 (in time) be upgraded with this "new generation" DAC-board?
- Does the current DAC-board in the BP-26 have two optical inputs and does it support 192/24?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #41 on: 21 Sep 2008, 10:50 am »
Hi BenBau,

Welcome to Audiocircle.

The current DAC in the BP26 has two COAX inputs. It is a 192/24 bit DAC but we only use it up to 96/24. We may look at using the Crystal 4398 that we are currently using in the BDA-1 and BCD-1 in the BP26 at some point in the future.

I too think a digital preamp may be a future product for us. Using a Digital volume control on the BDA-1 has some resolution issues and we would like much more voltage swing (BP26 has plus or minus 30 volts) from a dedicated digital stereo preamp than the adding of a passive analog volume control to the BDA-1 would provide.

james

BenBau

« Reply #42 on: 21 Sep 2008, 11:28 am »
Thank you for your fast response.

I guess I'll have to use my current setup for a while: analog output from soundcard to active monitors and dedicated headphone amp. Unfortunately I have a minor groundloop issue (hence the optical preference) and don't have a remote control with the headphone amp. Also, it is not Bryston quality.

At this moment the only option would be the BDA-1, optically connected to my PC. The balanced out then goes to the BP-26. I could sell my headphone amp.
I think this setup is a bit "over the top". Firstly it will cost me at least 7000 euro (European importers :cry:) and secondly I would have three cases on my desk and a too complicated setup with too much (not needed) functionality...

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #43 on: 21 Sep 2008, 12:04 pm »
  Using a Digital volume control on the BDA-1 has some resolution issues and we would like much more voltage swing (BP26 has plus or minus 30 volts) from a dedicated digital stereo preamp than the adding of a passive analog volume control to the BDA-1 would provide.

james

So its a no go on the software volume control?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #44 on: 21 Sep 2008, 01:01 pm »
  Using a Digital volume control on the BDA-1 has some resolution issues and we would like much more voltage swing (BP26 has plus or minus 30 volts) from a dedicated digital stereo preamp than the adding of a passive analog volume control to the BDA-1 would provide.

james

So its a no go on the software volume control?

Hi konut,

Correct - we do not think adding a volume control to the BDA-1 (digital or analog)  is the best choice.

james

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #45 on: 21 Sep 2008, 10:00 pm »
BUMMER! :(

niels

« Reply #46 on: 22 Sep 2008, 07:08 pm »
Well, I have a digital volume control in my Squeezeboks but I never use it.

Not so relevant in this thread, but Bryston, dont know, but I would like you to go a bit in this direction : http://www.audiovisionsf.com/?page=detail&product_id=1124
The volume is also interesting here, not to mention the room correction bit....

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #47 on: 22 Sep 2008, 07:20 pm »
Yes after our investigation and listening tests I think a Digtal/Analog preamp (BDA-1/BP-26 combination) is something we will move towards in the future.

james

PS  I left the 'i' out on purpose :lol:

mdconnelly

« Reply #48 on: 22 Sep 2008, 07:33 pm »
Yes after our investigation and listening tests I think a Digtal/Analog preamp (BDA-1/BP-26 combination) is something we will move towards in the future.

That's pretty much what I'm looking for.   I want a DAC of the highest quality that can support multiple inputs but also need a solid preamp to integrate analog source as well as volume control.  I'm using a Tact 2.0s today but contemplating what's next.   Of course, a BP26 *and* a BDA-1 would be sweet - just a matter of $$.   :drool:

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
« Reply #49 on: 22 Sep 2008, 10:04 pm »
Benchmark mades a digital / analog preamp (I think with volume),   check their website.   

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #50 on: 22 Sep 2008, 10:27 pm »
Benchmark mades a digital / analog preamp (I think with volume),   check their website.   

But then it wouldn't be a Bryston!

james

BenBau

« Reply #51 on: 23 Sep 2008, 04:41 pm »
And it doesn't have a remote (or serial port control).

ultraviolet

« Reply #52 on: 26 Sep 2008, 10:53 pm »
When will this unit be available in the UK?

I couldn't get a price for it from the distributor.

Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #53 on: 26 Sep 2008, 11:42 pm »

Thanks.

Hi Ultraviolet,

I checked and we sent the first shipment of BDA-1's to the UK this past week.  Sorry it has taken so long but we have been backordered since we introduced it 2 months ago.

james

ultraviolet

« Reply #54 on: 27 Sep 2008, 01:45 am »

Thanks.

Hi Ultraviolet,

I checked and we sent the first shipment of BDA-1's to the UK this past week.  Sorry it has taken so long but we have been backordered since we introduced it 2 months ago.

james

Thanks.

Have found a couple of stores that stock your products but can't find the DAC yet, any idea on the price.  :)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #55 on: 27 Sep 2008, 07:58 am »

Thanks.

Hi Ultraviolet,

james

Thanks.

Have found a couple of stores that stock your products but can't find the DAC yet, any idea on the price.  :)

Hi,

No sorry the prices are up to each distributor given import duties, shipping etc.  Give Tom Baron a call at PMC.

james

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #56 on: 8 Oct 2008, 03:13 am »
I'm trying to decide whether or not to get this Pioneer sacd player or use my Onkyo DX-7555 as a transport for the BDA-1.

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/42/201/18420/PD-D9-J/index.html

Should I go for the Pioneer or is it worth the wait for the BDA-1? And does the BDA-1 come close to SACD?

Your comments and suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Mag

« Reply #57 on: 8 Oct 2008, 04:52 am »
My opinion is based on the BCD-1, not the BDA-1

Sacd IMO when done right with MC setup, truly is impressive. The important factor is the amount of sacd titles you see yourself buying. For me the selection is limited which didn't really justify buying my TOTL sacd player. If you like classical music where the selection in sacd is plentiful, then going the sacd route can be justified.

The BDA-1 is comparable to sacd in terms of very little to no distortion on source playback. But IMO the BDA-1 would offer a sound more comparible to dts. Which is better, uncompressed dts or sacd? I like 'em both, but prefer dts as I prefer the sharper highs as they sound more concert realistic.

So then if you see sacd as having a limited selection. Then going with the BDA-1 offers you far more flexability in source material. You can go with streaming, concert dvd's, cd's, etc. elevating all these formats to high resolution low distortion levels of sacd.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #58 on: 8 Oct 2008, 07:42 am »
Thank you, I appreciate that...so with the BDA-1, you come very close to SACD?

Mag

« Reply #59 on: 8 Oct 2008, 06:00 pm »
Thank you, I appreciate that...so with the BDA-1, you come very close to SACD?

Okay, I compared Kitaro- Kojiki, Orochi, 2-channel sacd to same album in BCD-1. Level matched by ear, I hear the differences but I can't say one is significantly better than the other. As I said before the Bryston has a dts type presentation and sacd is perhaps analog like.

Where sacd shines is in MC. I listen mostly in MC stereo, as good as the BCD-1 is, when I switch to MC sacd, the soundstage is much better with a 3-D like depth and weight. And that goes for MC dts as well. In 2- channel quality stereo recordings IMO Bryston offers an equal level of performance to 2-channel sacd.