BDA-3 with BR4

bokko

BDA-3 with BR4
« on: 29 Jul 2020, 02:31 pm »
I have a BDA-3 that is running the 2018 firmware based on older Motherboard pre serial 001085.
BDA-3 does not have a volume control in the Web interface presently, could anyone confirm whether BR4 would work as a analog volume control with my BDA-3?

If it doesn't who do I email about upgrading the BDA-3 to a BDA-3.14 and could someone confirm if the BDA 3.14 would it still support Native DSD 128 at USB inputs.

Thanks.

Stay safe

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDA-3 with BR4
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2020, 02:47 pm »
I have a BDA-3 that is running the 2018 firmware based on older Motherboard pre serial 001085.
BDA-3 does not have a volume control in the Web interface presently, could anyone confirm whether BR4 would work as a analog volume control with my BDA-3?

If it doesn't who do I email about upgrading the BDA-3 to a BDA-3.14 and could someone confirm if the BDA 3.14 would it still support Native DSD 128 at USB inputs.

Thanks.

Stay safe

Hi bokko

I will check with engineering but as I understand it the BDA-3 does not have any way to have control over volume.

The 3.14 does as it was designed as a DAC as well as a streamer and can be used as a preamp as well. There is no way I am aware of that a BDA3 can be changed to a 3.14 as they are different products but I will check.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2020, 03:16 pm »

Thanks.

Stay safe

The volume control on the BDA-3.14 is not analog, its a digital (software) volume control that is integrated into the DAC chips that would normally be statically configured to 0db gain.  I think there was a software provision to enable it on the BDA-3, but its never been tested, you would need to upgrade the firmware on your BDA-3 to the most recent and use a pc or mac to connect to the BDA-3's service usb port (computer should see this as a thumb drive) and modify one of the generated files, it could be obvious or not obvious at all i don't know.  I don't believe a trade in or upgrade program exists the convert a BDA-3 to a 3.14.

Hope this helps,
Chris

bokko

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2020, 03:58 pm »
Perfect thanks James and Chris for prompt response.

So I'll have to wait until the BP-18 comes out to put my my Home Theater Receiver into a bypass mode for stereo listening.
Good things come to those who wait, I'll start saving.

My experience with the new 2020 6c firmware on BDA-3 was it did allow adjusting volume, didn't pay much attention to sound quality. I did check to see if DSD dropped out and it did not at 60 of 100 I didn't go lower. We'll see what new firmware brings.
As far as Digital or analog goes it only matters to me in that DAC doesn't turn down the level of digital input so that sound cuts off on DSD making a pink noise sound, that PCM begins to sound like FM radio at lower input.
I'll assume the BR4 does control buttons as listed in the BR2 MANUAL page 4 inputs only.

For future DACs has Bryston considered having a bypass mode for Home Theater Receivers. So that it can be added to a Surround sound system like mine that has 3B SST2 for mains so you can bypass the HTR for stereo listening without cable swapping?
Think my Marantz SR7012 sounds pretty good as a preamp in pure direct mode. Then again I also thought my RME DAC sounded good until I heard the BDA-3...

Cheers
Stay safe

WildPhydeaux

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2020, 09:20 pm »
For future DACs has Bryston considered having a bypass mode for Home Theater Receivers. So that it can be added to a Surround sound system like mine that has 3B SST2 for mains so you can bypass the HTR for stereo listening without cable swapping?

Er... huh? Home Theater Bypass is typically an input on a two-channel preamp which is routed directly to the outputs, untouched by the preamps gain control - basically a zero-gain, unaltered connection between a dedicated HT processors L&R pre-outs and the power amp used for front L&R speakers. Effectively the two-channel preamp "gets out of the way" when you're lighting up the home theater instead of listening to quality music. :) Oddly named, it's actually the two-channel preamp that is being "bypassed". I know you know all this, I'm just talking...

But we're talking analog domain here - so are you hoping Bryston will design a DAC with analog inputs that, when selected as an input, just pass through? This would be for the person who uses no traditional preamp in their two channel listening preferring to just use the digital volume control on their DAC for that activity? I'm not sure whether this is a brilliant idea or madness... :| I suspect most "high end audiophile" types would want an analog volume control in their two-channel chain, therefore that would be the place for the HT Bypass, but I could be wrong - maybe there are a lot who favour the theoretical lossy detail of a digital volume control for the shorter signal path.

Cheers,
Robert

Parsec

« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2020, 11:05 pm »
I am thinking about buying BR4 remote for my BDA-3 DAC.
If I understand well, BR4 does not have a dedicated button to switch upsampling on and off.
Is it possible to program one of the buttons to operate the upsampling function?
Since I use maximum of two sources I would gladly give up one of the source buttons to be reprogrammed to operate upsampling or any button not used by BDA-3.
Thank you,
Parsec