SP3 questions

TKLP

SP3 questions
« on: 17 May 2020, 12:33 pm »
 I'm considering an SP3, but have a few questions. I utilize 2 subwoofers, does the SP3 have provisions for that? Are subwoofers implemented when in bypass stereo mode? My center channel speaker also has provision for bi-amping, can the SP3 accommodate this?

Figured it out, downloaded the manual and found it.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2020, 08:35 pm by TKLP »

klao

Re: SP3 questions
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2020, 08:31 am »
Hi James and all,

It's been quite a while.  Hope you guys are well and healthy.  I'm quite late into the game with the SP3 too.   :)   Just decided to replace my 2-ch tube preamp + multi-ch analogue preamp with a pre-owned SP3 that I have already reserved a unit but can't get my hands on yet (due to social distancing).

1) What is the serial number of SP3 would come with the newer HDMI board that support 4K pass thru?

2) If my unit is older and I have to upgrade to board to enable 4K video, are there different versions / options that also relate to DSD USB or something to choose from?  (I also upgraded my BDA-1 with the BDA-3 dac.)

3) My current setup: Oppo 95 (via 5.0 RCAs) --> multi-ch preamp--> L&R channel HT bypass--> stereo preamp --> 2 sets of XLR outs. One set to a pair of Bryston 28B-SST/2s driving Magnepan 20.7s and another set to the 2 subwoofers.  DSP in the Oppo is set so that all frequency range including the LFE is output to both the main speakers and subwoofers (main & surround speakers = large, center = small, & subwoofer = none).  I use the subwoofer's low pass filter cutoff at 40Hz.  This seems to be a preferred method suggested by Magnepan (so that the center channel bass/mid bass singal would be augmented by the main front speakers)  and it sounds all right for both of multi-channel/digital and stereo/analogue playback.  However, given the SP3 more sophisticated and flexible 2 subwoofers setup options, should I do anything differently to improve things for pure analogue/two channel enjoyment (while maintaining the help of L&R main speakers to the center channel as before when watching movies).  In my room I tried test tones with the Maggies 20.7, they roll off from 40Hz down.

Thank you so much.
Klao

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2020, 10:30 am »
Hi James and all,

It's been quite a while.  Hope you guys are well and healthy.  I'm quite late into the game with the SP3 too.   :)   Just decided to replace my 2-ch tube preamp + multi-ch analogue preamp with a pre-owned SP3 that I have already reserved a unit but can't get my hands on yet (due to social distancing).

1) What is the serial number of SP3 would come with the newer HDMI board that support 4K pass thru?

2) If my unit is older and I have to upgrade to board to enable 4K video, are there different versions / options that also relate to DSD USB or something to choose from?  (I also upgraded my BDA-1 with the BDA-3 dac.)

3) My current setup: Oppo 95 (via 5.0 RCAs) --> multi-ch preamp--> L&R channel HT bypass--> stereo preamp --> 2 sets of XLR outs. One set to a pair of Bryston 28B-SST/2s driving Magnepan 20.7s and another set to the 2 subwoofers.  DSP in the Oppo is set so that all frequency range including the LFE is output to both the main speakers and subwoofers (main & surround speakers = large, center = small, & subwoofer = none).  I use the subwoofer's low pass filter cutoff at 40Hz.  This seems to be a preferred method suggested by Magnepan (so that the center channel bass/mid bass singal would be augmented by the main front speakers)  and it sounds all right for both of multi-channel/digital and stereo/analogue playback.  However, given the SP3 more sophisticated and flexible 2 subwoofers setup options, should I do anything differently to improve things for pure analogue/two channel enjoyment (while maintaining the help of L&R main speakers to the center channel as before when watching movies).  In my room I tried test tones with the Maggies 20.7, they roll off from 40Hz down.

Thank you so much.
Klao

Hi KLao

Doing well thanks.

Email Mike with your question please.

mpickett@bryston.com

james

klao

« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2020, 10:51 am »
Thank you, James. Will do.

klao

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2020, 03:11 am »
Hello James & Mike,

I'm not sure if my e-mails got through to you guys.

As for the upgrading of the HDMI board to be able to pass thru 4K video, would it be possible to order the new parts and have them replaced by tech people at Bryston's official distributor in Thailand, or would the unit has to be sent back to the factory?

Thanks,
Klao

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2020, 10:08 am »
Hello James & Mike,

I'm not sure if my e-mails got through to you guys.

As for the upgrading of the HDMI board to be able to pass thru 4K video, would it be possible to order the new parts and have them replaced by tech people at Bryston's official distributor in Thailand, or would the unit has to be sent back to the factory?

Thanks,
Klao

Hi Klao

I will forward this to Mike.

james

klao

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jun 2020, 08:09 am »
Hi Klao

I will forward this to Mike.

james

Thank you, James.  Already got to talk to Mike via e-mail.

In the meantime, I don't think I need the 4K video pass thru capability from the newer HDMI board upgrade.  I now connect one the player's HDMI outputs directly to my 4K TV and use the second HDMI output to connect (audio only) to SP3.  :)

klao

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jun 2020, 08:17 am »

3) My current [PREVIOUS] setup: Oppo 95 (via 5.0 RCAs) --> multi-ch preamp--> L&R channel HT bypass--> stereo preamp --> 2 sets of XLR outs. One set to a pair of Bryston 28B-SST/2s driving Magnepan 20.7s and another set to the 2 subwoofers.  DSP in the Oppo is set so that all frequency range including the LFE is output to both the main speakers and subwoofers (main & surround speakers = large, center = small, & subwoofer = none).  I use the subwoofer's low pass filter cutoff at 40Hz.  This seems to be a preferred method suggested by Magnepan (so that the center channel bass/mid bass singal would be augmented by the main front speakers)  and it sounds all right for both of multi-channel/digital and stereo/analogue playback.  However, given the SP3 more sophisticated and flexible 2 subwoofers setup options, should I do anything differently to improve things for pure analogue/two channel enjoyment (while maintaining the help of L&R main speakers to the center channel as before when watching movies).  In my room I tried test tones with the Maggies 20.7, they roll off from 40Hz down.

I just re-read the SP3 manual and am wondering that, in order to get the same bass management effects as suggested by Magnepan with regards to its CC5 center channel speaker setup (http://www.magnepan.com/manual_CC5), perhaps I should just attach both my left and right subwoofers to SP3’s L-AUX and R-AUX outputs (instead of to SUB & R-AUX) and enable the default down-mixed stereo option.

Also set the front speakers = “large” and subwoofer = “none”, and then use/set the internal low-pass filter in the subwoofers.  All this would send full range of signal (bass below any “small” speakers frequencies + LFE) to the front speakers as well as the subwoofers all the time, regardless of DSP or 2-Ch Bypass modes of operations by SP3, correct?

klao

« Reply #8 on: 14 Aug 2020, 11:09 am »
Hi again James & Mike,

I did try using the L-AUX L & R-AUX outputs to connect to my 2 subwoofers, with "Large Front Speakers" & "Subwoofer OFF" setting.  The full range frequencies came out all right to the subs for 2-CH bypass / stereo mode when playing music.  However, with this setting, there seems to be no LFE/bass to the subs at all when playing movies with HDMI input engaged.

I now have to go back to using SUB and R-AUX outputs with "Large Front Speakers", "Subwoofer ON", "in2BYPASS ON", and "XTRA BASS ON" so that I can play both music and movies without messing with cables behind.  Not quite as Magnepan CC5 center speaker manual would recommend, but it's convenient.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #9 on: 15 Aug 2020, 03:34 pm »
Depending on how you have your SP3 set up, each input can have its own individual settings. Be sure your sub is still set to "off" when you toggle HDMI on. I belive that should send all LEF signals to the "large" speakers.

klao

« Reply #10 on: 16 Aug 2020, 12:23 pm »
Depending on how you have your SP3 set up, each input can have its own individual settings. Be sure your sub is still set to "off" when you toggle HDMI on. I belive that should send all LEF signals to the "large" speakers.

Thanks, Grit.

I rechecked the connections/settings and tried again with different movies via HDMI  inputs.  The two subs are working now.  :thumb:

A couple more questions, though. With my current setup on the SP3: L-AUX & R-AUX = "Stereo L+R" ; FRONT = "Large" ; & SUB WOOFER = "OFF", when playing multi-channel SACD via Oppo 95 by using the 7.1 (Bypass) Single Ended Inputs, how should I setup the sound procesing feature within the Oppo regarding subwoofer?  Should I make the RCA cable connection on "SUB" channel between the SP3 & Oppo at all?

gbaby

« Reply #11 on: 17 Aug 2020, 07:02 pm »
Thank you, James.  Already got to talk to Mike via e-mail.

In the meantime, I don't think I need the 4K video pass thru capability from the newer HDMI board upgrade.  I now connect one the player's HDMI outputs directly to my 4K TV and use the second HDMI output to connect (audio only) to SP3.  :)

How is this configuration working out for you? Do you have lip synch issues?

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #12 on: 19 Aug 2020, 06:15 am »
Thanks, Grit.

I rechecked the connections/settings and tried again with different movies via HDMI  inputs.  The two subs are working now.  :thumb:

A couple more questions, though. With my current setup on the SP3: L-AUX & R-AUX = "Stereo L+R" ; FRONT = "Large" ; & SUB WOOFER = "OFF", when playing multi-channel SACD via Oppo 95 by using the 7.1 (Bypass) Single Ended Inputs, how should I setup the sound procesing feature within the Oppo regarding subwoofer?  Should I make the RCA cable connection on "SUB" channel between the SP3 & Oppo at all?

Oooh, good question. In theory... the Oppo should add the dedicated ".1" sub channel to ALL "large" speakers. The SP3 then, if it processes 7.1 direct input, could strip the low bass and send it to a sub. IMO, I'd connect the Oppo's sub output and let just one device (the Oppo) manage the bass. That way, the sounds that the movie sound mixer folks put into a dedicate subwoofer channel would show up where they were originally intended.

All of that aside, why not just connect the Oppo via HDMI to the SP3? The SP3 has the superior DAC (IMO).

- Garrett

klao

« Reply #13 on: 20 Aug 2020, 11:01 am »
How is this configuration working out for you? Do you have lip synch issues?

So far, so good.
I'm not be able to detect any lip-synch issue with this setup (HDMI 1 to directly to 4K TV & HDMI 2 to SP3).

klao

« Reply #14 on: 20 Aug 2020, 11:31 am »
Oooh, good question. In theory... the Oppo should add the dedicated ".1" sub channel to ALL "large" speakers. The SP3 then, if it processes 7.1 direct input, could strip the low bass and send it to a sub. IMO, I'd connect the Oppo's sub output and let just one device (the Oppo) manage the bass. That way, the sounds that the movie sound mixer folks put into a dedicate subwoofer channel would show up where they were originally intended.

All of that aside, why not just connect the Oppo via HDMI to the SP3? The SP3 has the superior DAC (IMO).

- Garrett

Hi Garrett. 

Thanks again for your thoughts. I'll test if there's any difference in setting up the Oppo 95's internal processing with/without "SUB" channel while using SP3's 7.1 input.  I already tried connecting Oppo 95 & SP3 via HDMI, but could not get the SACD multi-channel signals through.  Perhaps it's because the older HDMI board in SP3 I have?  Anyhow, I already ripped all my SACDs into 2-channel DSF files, and they could be played with the BDP-1/BDA-3 in the system.  I use this ModWright Oppo 95 mainly for multi-channel SACD, and occasionally for BD concert discs, as well as "stereo" CD/SACD if I want some tubes sound signature.

Klao

gbaby

« Reply #15 on: 21 Aug 2020, 02:17 pm »
So far, so good.
I'm not be able to detect any lip-synch issue with this setup (HDMI 1 to directly to 4K TV & HDMI 2 to SP3).

Thanks. I just ordered a Sony XBR 65AG9 which has built in apps. I am thinking that if I configured it like yours, I may not have to get the HDMI upgrade as I will only need one 4K player and the internal apps on the Sony can handle the 4K. This is good information although at some point I may have to get the HDMI upgrade if I have more peripherals.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #16 on: 23 Aug 2020, 09:51 pm »
I have the Sony XBR 77AG9, and the SP3 with the upgraded HDMI board. The upgraded SP3 only supports ARC (maybe?), not eARC.

ARC and the optical output only support 2-ch audio. For that reason, I've abandoned the built-in apps and resort to Apple TV 4k for streaming (Kaleidescape for dedicated movies).