My New Omegas

smlazur

My New Omegas
« on: 19 Oct 2019, 11:48 pm »

After lurking for 10 years, I was still undecided as to which Omega to purchase. I was looking for a speaker that would play with low level detail. And the above is what I bought. I could not be happier. Without any break in, and using a 10 year old Teac integrated amp, they sound wonderful. The clarity and bass is all there. I am using these in my bedroom to listen to throughout the night. I have a speaker on either side of my head. The sound is like a huge set of headphones. Very spacious. Much thanks to Louis for the custom stands, so that these will be more stable here in earthquake country. He also installed the Furutech binding posts and he gave my an upgrade on the finish. This is my first single driver speaker. But it won't be my last. I love the purity of the sound. Thanks so much Louis.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: My New Omegas
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2019, 01:23 am »
Nice.  :thumb:

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2019, 01:26 am »
Truly natural cherry can be such a really nice finish!  :thumb:  Congratulations on your new speakers!

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2019, 01:53 am »
Those look wonderful. I bet they sound wonderful too!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2019, 03:56 pm »
  Enjoy they look great.

charles

happyrabbit

« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2019, 04:16 pm »
Lovely!  what’s the ‘wool’ upgrade ?

boisty

« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2019, 05:35 pm »
They look beautiful congrats.

Boisty

jmolsberg

« Reply #7 on: 20 Oct 2019, 08:23 pm »
Pretty pretty... I'd love to know how those 8's sound

skiroe

« Reply #8 on: 21 Oct 2019, 12:26 am »
Nice and Louis does great work.   I have a pair of CAM's    compact alnico monitors.   Zebrawod and possibly walnut.  They are B stock because of the different veneers which is fine with me. I  have mine in bedroom as well and leave on for much of the night although I think you probably hear more of yours with your placement.  Mine are set up in a system against the front wall at the foot of the bed. 
I dont usually come on this forum and fount a posting via Google for a 6sn7 based pre I am interested in although I cant really search on here until I leave the newbie status.     :violin:
Are there spikes on the stands?   

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #9 on: 21 Oct 2019, 06:01 am »
Congratulations!

What are you powering them with, and how do you like their sound?

Michael

skiroe

« Reply #10 on: 21 Oct 2019, 05:53 pm »
@Michael   not sure if you are asking me or OP about how do they sound but I will say that Im not doing much of an evaluation being where they are being used at this time.   Smooth and articulate highs with no glare ,  Bass requires more volume and possibly better positioning against front wall which does have window above it.     Mids are lifelike vocals ,very musical speaker although Im thinking full size would offer better bass.
Dont meant to high jack thread but wanted to ask you about the Sachs preamp.. what options do you have on it and actually quite to the point do you notice a big difference in tube flavor compared to a signal tube based pre if you have had one..  (likely you have)

mresseguie

« Reply #11 on: 22 Oct 2019, 05:23 am »
Hello, skiroe.

I'll send you a PM. With just two posts you are unable to initiate a PM, but you can receive a PM from me. Nope. You cannot receive a message from me. Post a couple more times. Introduce yourself to the community. Once you can receive PMs, I'll PM you. I don't wish to hijack this thread either.

Michael

« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2019, 06:40 am by mresseguie »

skiroe

« Reply #12 on: 22 Oct 2019, 06:53 pm »
New here but have known about this site for years. Not quite sure how to go about introducing myself on the anonymous internet so to speak.    I also have a pair of Hoyt's full size monitors that Lous sold awhile back.  Good sounding speaker esp at its price point. 

skiroe

« Reply #13 on: 22 Oct 2019, 06:59 pm »
I had moved out of the bay area to no mans land up north in "olive "  country -speaking of California.   And been meaning to set up the CAMS in the main system which is where they are much more listenable in terms of spending time with them at normal volumes and not at nighttime volumes as in the bd/

mresseguie

« Reply #14 on: 22 Oct 2019, 07:08 pm »

smlazur

« Reply #15 on: 23 Oct 2019, 01:54 am »
The "wool" is an internal damping upgrade, suggested by Louis. Maybe Louis could explain for us. I just asked him if there were any upgrades he would recommend.

I am using a Teac integrated amp at the moment, with an old Oppo player. It will only play Mp3's. Those are both going to be replaced very soon.

But even so, these speakers sound wonderful. At the low levels I am listening, they are clear detailed, the sound floats in mid air. I wanted the fuller sound of an 8 inch driver over the others offered. The bass that I am getting is more than I need. Too much bass can give me nightmares.

Thanks for the comments.

And again, my thanks to Louis. Very happy with my speakers.

skiroe

« Reply #16 on: 24 Oct 2019, 01:12 am »
@smlazur  had asked if you have spikes on the plinths .. Or are  there separate stands?     Im in earthquake country as well  although these days possibly in a bit better location being so far up north . 

GeAllan70

« Reply #17 on: 25 Oct 2019, 01:32 am »
 :thumb:

Nice!!!

smlazur

« Reply #18 on: 27 Oct 2019, 12:06 am »
OK, I just got a mirror and a flashlight and looked, there are threaded inserts, in the plate that Louis made me, for spikes, and Louis shipped the spikes with the speakers, but I am not using them. Only because it would make them harder for me to move the speakers. I had back surgery from Hell.