Greetings from Jakarta, Indonesia

WillyBoy Audio

Greetings from Jakarta, Indonesia
« on: 17 Oct 2019, 12:03 pm »
Hello and greetings from Jakarta, Indonesia.

I have been reading silently and finally decided to join.
Thanks for having me, I look forward to participating in the forums.

Cheers,
WillyBoy

ricmon

Re: Greetings from Jakarta, Indonesia
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2019, 07:50 pm »
Welcome and enjoy!  There are a bunch of good folks here  :)

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2019, 09:00 pm »
Welcome!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct 2019, 11:16 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC WillyBoy   :thumb:

Blackmore

« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2019, 12:26 am »
Welcome to AudioCircle.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct 2019, 03:24 am »
Welcome Willy Boy  :thumb:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #6 on: 18 Oct 2019, 06:36 am »
Welcome to AC, Willyboy!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 18 Oct 2019, 03:30 pm »
  Welcome aboard. Happy talk time.

charles

Brad

« Reply #8 on: 18 Oct 2019, 03:32 pm »
Welcome, tell us about your system and your music references.

WillyBoy Audio

« Reply #9 on: 24 Oct 2019, 01:05 am »
Welcome and enjoy!  There are a bunch of good folks here  :)
Welcome!
Greetings & Welcome to AC WillyBoy   :thumb:
Welcome to AudioCircle.
Welcome Willy Boy  :thumb:
Welcome to AC, Willyboy!
  Welcome aboard. Happy talk time.

charles

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Good to be here.

WillyBoy Audio

« Reply #10 on: 24 Oct 2019, 01:27 am »
Welcome, tell us about your system and your music references.
Hi Brad, I listen to a good variety of music, but my heart is in blues, jazz, rock, and some popular tunes from decades past.

My current system is nothing to write home about, it consists of a MacBook Pro that hosts my lossless files and various streaming services, goes out to a Burson Audio Playmate as DAC and preamp, to a TDA7492-based amplifier made by Indeed HiFi in Hong Kong. I built the speakers myself, based on drivers that are available locally, but measures quite well. Thank you!

mresseguie

« Reply #11 on: 24 Oct 2019, 04:22 am »
WillyBoy,

Is it a challenge finding good audio gear in your location, or is there a pretty strong audiophile/DIY community?

SB Acoustics drivers are manufactured in Indonesia...a mere 10 hour drive to the east.  :duh:

I've traveled in much of Asia, and have discovered audio gear in abundance in some places and audio gear deserts in others. Most of my Asia time is spent in Taiwan where there is a lot of great gear to be found.

Michael

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #12 on: 24 Oct 2019, 05:04 am »
Too bad Indeed tube amps gone, there was a nice 6C33 amp.

WillyBoy Audio

« Reply #13 on: 24 Oct 2019, 10:23 am »
WillyBoy,

Is it a challenge finding good audio gear in your location, or is there a pretty strong audiophile/DIY community?

SB Acoustics drivers are manufactured in Indonesia...a mere 10 hour drive to the east.  :duh:

I've traveled in much of Asia, and have discovered audio gear in abundance in some places and audio gear deserts in others. Most of my Asia time is spent in Taiwan where there is a lot of great gear to be found.

Michael

Michael, here's my respectful view on the situation: brand-name audiophile community = money. Big brand names can be found here, from Bowers & Wilkins to Tannoys and many in between.
With DIY, those with experience and money build amazing amplifiers and speakers. A lot of DIY activities in the pro audio scene, especially in the towns outside the capital. Speaker drivers are expensive compared to the States and Europe. Even SB Acoustics, SB12PAC25-4 in Madisound for $28.40 and $40 in local marketplace.
On the lower end, there is plenty of affordable drivers (cheap) but there is no T/S parameters available that makes it difficult for proper DIY. I think there is a rise in the activity, but only for a small group.
BTW tracking says my SB10 widebander is waiting for me at home. So excited.

WillyBoy Audio

« Reply #14 on: 24 Oct 2019, 10:34 am »
Too bad Indeed tube amps gone, there was a nice 6C33 amp.
I saw that one too! I think that's what got them thinking about starting the business. I feel Indeed should gain more recognition due to the quality of their products.

mresseguie

« Reply #15 on: 24 Oct 2019, 01:52 pm »
Michael, here's my respectful view on the situation: brand-name audiophile community = money. Big brand names can be found here, from Bowers & Wilkins to Tannoys and many in between.
With DIY, those with experience and money build amazing amplifiers and speakers. A lot of DIY activities in the pro audio scene, especially in the towns outside the capital. Speaker drivers are expensive compared to the States and Europe. Even SB Acoustics, SB12PAC25-4 in Madisound for $28.40 and $40 in local marketplace.
On the lower end, there is plenty of affordable drivers (cheap) but there is no T/S parameters available that makes it difficult for proper DIY. I think there is a rise in the activity, but only for a small group.
BTW tracking says my SB10 widebander is waiting for me at home. So excited.

I hear you. B&W, Focal, and Dynaudio have a huge presence in Taiwan. With Taiwan's 21% import duties on 'audiophile' gear, all the big name gear is really expensive.  Many of the wealthy businessmen, medical professionals, etc. have beautiful and very expensive show systems.....even if said businessmen only use their systems once a month.  :nono: Fortunately, there's a large DIY/manufacturer direct community that supports the rest of the market. The trick for me was locating the DIY stores and community because the brick & mortar store salespeople sure wouldn't clue me in.

I presume that Indonesia has a hefty import duty and/or sales tax on audio gear as well?

Brad

« Reply #16 on: 24 Oct 2019, 02:24 pm »
Nice system, obviously put together with care.

I enjoy DIY, especially learning from my mistakes.
Hope you enjoy Audio Circle.   Great membership here, I've met quite a few in person in my travels.

WillyBoy Audio

« Reply #17 on: 25 Oct 2019, 04:05 am »
I hear you. B&W, Focal, and Dynaudio have a huge presence in Taiwan. With Taiwan's 21% import duties on 'audiophile' gear, all the big name gear is really expensive.  Many of the wealthy businessmen, medical professionals, etc. have beautiful and very expensive show systems.....even if said businessmen only use their systems once a month.  :nono: Fortunately, there's a large DIY/manufacturer direct community that supports the rest of the market. The trick for me was locating the DIY stores and community because the brick & mortar store salespeople sure wouldn't clue me in.

I presume that Indonesia has a hefty import duty and/or sales tax on audio gear as well?

I don't know the exact tax rate, but indeed it is very expensive. The same here with wealthy citizens and their show gear. Taiwan has a stronger DIY scene compared to Indonesia, but I also agree that locating DIY community is the key :)

WillyBoy Audio

« Reply #18 on: 25 Oct 2019, 04:07 am »
Nice system, obviously put together with care.

I enjoy DIY, especially learning from my mistakes.
Hope you enjoy Audio Circle.   Great membership here, I've met quite a few in person in my travels.

Thank you Brad for the warm welcome. See you around the forum.

apple2k

« Reply #19 on: 15 Dec 2019, 07:01 pm »
Welcome! I think a lot of the Revel speakers are made in Indonesia, I used to have relatives there and loved the food.