Magnepan LRS

AvsFan

Re: Magnepan LRS
« Reply #160 on: 5 Aug 2019, 04:48 am »
I don’t think you will damage the Maggies with that AVR.  Also, I imagine the AVR would shut down if it couldn’t handle the Maggies.

Is the AVR running hotter than usual?  Have you burned out any of the Maggie fuses?  If no, then I’d say your good.

That’s a good question about what ohm setting to use when combining 4 and 8 ohm speakers.  I have no idea.  :scratch:

Yeah, I had the volume up today at certain times and neither Pioneer or Maggie’s had issues.
And the AVR didn’t seem overly warm or anything. Nothing to be alarmed about. But if I switch it to the 4ohm setting it would light the load even more so than 6ohm setting?

TitaniumTroy

« Reply #161 on: 24 Oct 2019, 02:38 am »
Really late to the party, but I just wanted to back up what Josh said about the LRS at AXPONA. Because I was there with him, clarity and soundstage/imaging are incredible with LRS. My room with 3.6s and a lot of room treatments have never matched the imaging of the LRS that Wendell had set up at AXPONA 2019.

AvsFan

« Reply #162 on: 25 Oct 2019, 08:00 pm »
Really late to the party, but I just wanted to back up what Josh said about the LRS at AXPONA. Because I was there with him, clarity and soundstage/imaging are incredible with LRS. My room with 3.6s and a lot of room treatments have never matched the imaging of the LRS that Wendell had set up at AXPONA 2019.

So what is so magical about the LRS compared to the 3.6? Is it the speaker or was it the room?

AvsFan

« Reply #163 on: 7 Nov 2019, 10:38 pm »

Saturn94

« Reply #164 on: 7 Nov 2019, 11:45 pm »
What do you think of this high current Parasound  amp for the LRS's?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parasound-HCA-1200-II-2-Channel-Amplifier-by-John-Curl-315-Watts-x2-4-Ohms/202817361251?hash=item2f38db5563:g:gmwAAOSwIgZdxI5y

My Parasound amp works great with my LRS (385wpc @ 4ohms).  I would expect that amp to work great as well. :thumb:

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #165 on: 8 Nov 2019, 03:46 am »
The specs on the amp look great. It has 90 peak amps of current and 50 continuous.
https://www.parasound.com/vintage/hca2200.php

I would get the serial number of the amp and check with Parasound as to how old it is and if they think that it would need to be re-capped  before buying it.

There are a lot of used A21's and you may want to consider one.  My son may be selling his A21 for $1100-1200 in the next month or two.  It was mine until I replaced it with my Pass.  I used it with my Magnepan 1.6's.  It is a 9/10 just due to age.  If you are interested,  PM me.  It is silver and works perfectly.  He had bought a pair of PS Audio M700 mono's but had to return them due to ground loops and hum issues with his computer-Regen-DAC.

Larry

sfdoddsy

« Reply #166 on: 20 Nov 2019, 08:52 am »
Why would running it at 6ohms put more stress on it? I figured running it at 4ohms would put more stress on it. Hey that’s why I asked the question in the first place? I didn’t know what setting was ideal in this situation.  :D

The 6 ohm setting on receivers is a legalistic fudge. It deliberately throttles the output and is the worst thing for 8 ohm or 4 ohm.

Most decently designed  receivers will have no problem driving the Maggie 4 ohm load. The question is whether they can drive them loud enough.

I used to have Apogees and Maggies and drove them to comfortable levels with Anthem and Onkyo receivers.

However, they need to be decently designed. Recently I briefly owned a Yamaha receiver that shut down at even lowish levels when faced with a less than 8 ohm load.

AvsFan

« Reply #167 on: 26 Nov 2019, 05:39 am »
The 6 ohm setting on receivers is a legalistic fudge. It deliberately throttles the output and is the worst thing for 8 ohm or 4 ohm.

Most decently designed  receivers will have no problem driving the Maggie 4 ohm load. The question is whether they can drive them loud enough.

I used to have Apogees and Maggies and drove them to comfortable levels with Anthem and Onkyo receivers.

However, they need to be decently designed. Recently I briefly owned a Yamaha receiver that shut down at even lowish levels when faced with a less than 8 ohm load.

I put the Maggie’s in my theater room for a bit, just to see how I liked them. I used a Pioneer Elite VSX-LX 503, and it had no issues powering them to respectable volume levels and sounded good doing so. But all of the power amps I have used in my two channel system, I have got them to shut down and go into protection mode. Go figure. Anyone that says AVR’s are not worthy of serious 2 channel listening or powering the Maggie’s are just wrong. Now of course I am still looking to give my LRS’s the proper power they deserve in my two channel system and will be buying it soon but just wanted to give my two cents on AVR’s powering the Maggie’s.