Oppo UDP-205! The New Truth Mod! The Next Level!

oem-wheels

Re: Oppo UDP-205! The New Truth Mod! The Next Level!
« Reply #100 on: 24 Dec 2017, 03:17 am »
hey all, has anyone tried "upgrading" the umbilical cord on the Oppo205 and found positive results ? if so, can you point me where to get one ? no description on the stock one so I don't know at what price point or construction might be better ...  thx

TJ-Sully

« Reply #101 on: 24 Dec 2017, 01:58 pm »
hi folks, i recently purchased an Oppo 203. i'm trying to set it up as music server....any suggestions on how to make this happen? TJ

rbbert

« Reply #102 on: 24 Dec 2017, 03:36 pm »
hi folks, i recently purchased an Oppo 203. i'm trying to set it up as music server....any suggestions on how to make this happen? TJ
Look at avsforums for the dedicated Oppo 203 thread?

TJ-Sully

« Reply #103 on: 24 Dec 2017, 05:28 pm »
thanks  rbbert, i'll check that out.

mjalazard

« Reply #104 on: 19 Jan 2018, 09:23 pm »
I have had my fully modified Oppo UDP-205 for some time.  I have gone through the ModWright modified Oppo ladder.
I must say that this player is phenomenal...both as a player and a DAC (Nakamichi 1000 mb transport).
I have enjoyed both CD's and CDR's.  Great balance, excellent 3d soundstage, and musically satisfying.  Dan and his team continue to amaze me.  The modifications are of excellent quality.  His support staff is exemplary (thanks Kristin).  I have not compared it to the mega bucks players, but I feel I don't need to.
If NFS Audio ever does a show again, we will certainly use this player.  For now, I'll be enjoying it at home.
Thanks, ModWright!
Mike

modwright

« Reply #105 on: 19 Jan 2018, 09:47 pm »
Thanks Mike!  I agree that it is THE BEST mod that we have produced to date.  Specifically, it is more live, dynamic and resolving than the previous 105/105D mods.

I appreciate your support and feedback!

Dan

rbbert

« Reply #106 on: 10 Apr 2018, 06:48 pm »
Any idea how many more Oppo 205's you can modify with parts on hand?

modwright

« Reply #107 on: 10 Apr 2018, 07:26 pm »
We have plenty of parts for the mods, that is not an issue.  It is just a matter of how many Oppo's are in circulation.

Most of the time, people simply send us the UDP-205.  We buy them and modify them for use at shows and sell them as demo's.  However, the typical case is for people to send us their UDP-205 for us to provide mods.

The PCBs and all parts that we use for the mod are all readily available and not a limiting factor.

Thanks,

Dan

Frank I

« Reply #108 on: 8 Jun 2018, 11:24 am »
The DAC on the UDP 205 with Dan's Mod makes it a true workd class DAC comparing to the Chord DAVE which is over 12K the  modded Oppo never embarrasses itself.  People will miss Oppo legendary status of designing the best players in their price range for 14 years. I am glad I hav one of Dan's player and regularly use it as my reference DAC and player for reviews of headphones and other resources. If you own an Oppo UDP 205 get it modded as it will take you to the top of heap in sound quality. I love the tube compliment as well. I am using the Genelex 6922 and after rolling the rectifier tubes I love the stock Sovtex bass  better than other sos it remains my tube of choice

modwright

« Reply #109 on: 8 Jun 2018, 04:02 pm »
Thanks Frank! The UDP-205 is our finest mod achievement and it is hard to see Oppo make the decision that they have.

However, we still have a great circuit design and it will be used for another mod and/or product.  I am working on a number of ideas!

Dan

modwright

Great feedback: From Stereophile Blog
« Reply #110 on: 27 Jun 2018, 06:18 pm »
Link to Stereophile blog entry below.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/oppo-udp-203-vs-cambridge-cxuhd

"…….., Recently, my cousin brought his fully modified Modwright Oppo 205 over to my place and I had a chance to take it up for a spin in my dedicated stereo setup. So I disconnected my DCS Vivaldi full stacks (DCS Vivaldi DAC) and inserted his fully modded Modwright Oppo 205 in the chain and started listening to some CD and SACD as well as some hi-rez digital download files streamed through the Oppo 205' USB asynchronous DAC port on the back. And his Modwright Oppo 205 was connected to my Audio Research Reference 10 linestage preamp and my D'Agostino Momentum 400 monoblock amps (2 pairs in bi-amp mode) driving my new Magico M6 speakers. It took me as a surprise. His Modwright Oppo 205 performed and sounded superbly and did not embarrass when used in my reference stereo setup. It wasn't on the same level as my DCS Vivaldi full four stacks (Vivaldi master clock, Vivldi upsampler, Vivaldi CD/SACD transport, Vivaldi DAC) but hey my full DCS Vivaldi stacks cost around $125k and his fully modded Modwright Oppo 205 total costs of only $5k ($1300 stock 205 + $3700 total costs of fully modded Modwright labor included). But as a single one-box digital front end universal player/DAC the Modwright Oppo 205 sounded and performed spectacular, very resolved, highly musical with fleshed out mids (vocals) and other instruments elements. Sounded very analog like and natural or organic so to speak and with very good sense of image and soundstage depths. Transparency and inner details and nuances are excellent. There were good amounts of air and space between instruments and vocals. PRAT is very good too. The noise floor was surprisingly very low, approaching and was pretty close to that of my own DCS Vivldi full stacks. Overall the Modwright Oppo 205 IMO performed on the similar or same level as those single-box digital front end players/DAC in $10k to $15k region and up. Sonically, it rivals an entry level Esoteric player/DAC."

We are still very much modifying UDP-205 and Sonica DACs!

Thanks,

Dan Wright

RPM123

« Reply #111 on: 8 Nov 2018, 05:21 pm »
As a recent owner of a Modwright Oppo UDP-205, I just want to say how VERY happy I am with this unit! I went from a stock unit to the modded one and there really is no comparison. It truly sounds like you are listening to analogue. On more than one occasion, I found myself thinking while listening; this record is very quiet and sounds great, only to realize that I am listening to a CD. I love the fact that this player can do it all for me and makes digital sound so much closer to analog. The other great feature of this mod is that one can view blu-ray discs without having to utilize the tubes. Very nice!

I should point out that my observations have been from using a 4 notch Blackburn Mullard GZ34 rectifier and 2 RTC E188cc tubes in the Oppo. I have not tried the stock tubes that come with the mod and I most likely will never use them, since I am so happy with the NOS tubes.  I have not tried streaming, although no surprise, it's also supposed to sound excellent.

I am very sensitive to "digital glare" and there were a number of rooms at the Dagogo Show in Oakland that I attended this past summer whose playback systems consisted of well respected high end DACs and their sounds literally drove me out of the room after a few minutes. Thankfully, I do not have to endure that at home.  :D

Glenn

modwright

« Reply #112 on: 8 Nov 2018, 10:46 pm »
Thank you for your feedback!

Dan

rbbert

« Reply #113 on: 20 Oct 2019, 08:04 pm »
Is there a reason (other than cost) that the switching power supply was not replaced with a LPS (or was it, and just not mentioned)?

modwright

« Reply #114 on: 22 Oct 2019, 05:07 pm »
I worked on one of my own design, but I never succeeded in designing one that didn't dissipate too much heat. Others did succeed in this and they are available to purchase and install.

Dan

rbbert

« Reply #115 on: 23 Oct 2019, 03:03 am »
I am considering doing that; quite a few options available.

dminches

« Reply #116 on: 23 Oct 2019, 12:59 pm »

There is a switching power supply inside the box?

Someone in Europe (Coris on WBF) built a new power supply for the 203 and the 205.  Not sure that is compatible with Dan's mods.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #117 on: 23 Oct 2019, 01:11 pm »
How difficult is it to do this? If not too complicated I may give it a shot at some point.

RPM123

« Reply #118 on: 23 Oct 2019, 02:54 pm »
Or you can order one from Oppomod.com  I have one in mine. :)

UDP-203/205 LPM - $280
Linear Power Module upgrade for the new Oppo UDP-203/205 4k players. An easy to install module that requires no soldering or technical ability. Can be done in 5 minutes with just a screw driver.

The LPM offers significantly enhanced audio and video performance over the standard switch mode power supplies. You will notice the improvement instantly, and with 100 hours burn-in its true ability will come out.

UDP-203/205 LPM SE - $360
This is the 'Special Edition' version of our Linear Power Module for the new Oppo UDP-203/205 4k players.

The highest audio grade low ESR Nichicon KW series electrolytic capacitors are used.

Multiple all discrete Schottky barrier diodes are now used throughout. The lower voltage drop of the diodes provides higher switching speed and better system efficiency, while producing less heat, EMI and switching noise.

Wima film and tantalum capacitors are included for regulator IC buffering and impendence matching. Audio grade 2A fuse is included.

rbbert

« Reply #119 on: 23 Oct 2019, 11:14 pm »
There are at least 2 more reasonable options; all (including the Oppomods) apparently install in a few minutes with only a screwdriver

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32848804463.html $203

https://amazon.com/dp/B07GR32PK5/?coliid=I57CCI9QU5ZVB&colid=3387F83SCP18Q&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Nobsound Pure Handmade Built-in Linear Power Supply Board for Oppo UDP203/205 Modified Upgrade (UDP-205 High-end Digital & Analog Output)  $318

-This series of linear power supply is specially designed for OPPO UDP-203/205 Modify to Upgrade the Picture and Sound Quality.
-UDP-205 high-end digital&Analog output version is more expensive because of German SEDLBAUER( Swiss FM Brand) ring transformer which makes sound more natural and air more delicate.
-Using high-quality low-noise sealed ring transformer;
-With modular OP+MOS ultra-low noise DC stablized voltage circuit; With High-end Rubycon electrolysis, WIMA capacitor and VISHAY diode
-Swiss Schurter gold-plated fuse; Freely equipped with Teflon input and output connection wire and a screw driver