Recommendations on car speakers

nature boy

Re: Recommendations on car speakers
« Reply #20 on: 10 Jun 2012, 03:08 pm »
I have always found installers a great source of information about car audio equipment.  I just installed an Alpine head unit and Infinity co-axial speakers in my daughters Honda Accord.  Perfect for her needs and sounds close to my car's higher-end system.

There are a lot of good speakers out there.  Here are some suggestions to consider. 

- It's difficult to get car audio systems to create the 3D listening experience of a dedicated home 2 channel system.  There are trade offs.
- Quality, positioning and installation of your front speaker positioning is most critical IMHO. 
- Speaker installation is IMPORTANT, especially in car doors.  Remember your door cavity is the box.  Sealing with materials (polyster fill, batting, dynamat, etc.) will help reduce unwanted vibrations and resonances.  Most 6.5" mid-woofers will go down to 50 Hz. 

When I purchase a vehicle I almost always opt for aftermarket audio installation.  It is difficult to compare equipment at a dealer/installer.  One way of getting a handle on good equipment is to go to area car audio competitions (if available), you'll get to see and hear some of the best systems available.  I encourage folks to consider purchasing a head unit, separate amplifier(s), speakers and subwoofers together.  Buying used can help save money.

FWIW, my next system will consist of a Alpine CDA-117 head unit, Linear Power LP2250 amplifier (www.linearpower.com/detail/lp2250), and Blues Audio BL6.5C component speakers (http://bluescaraudio.com/products/bl65c).  I prefer not to have a sub in my cars.  Don't forget to use good speaker and power wiring and make sure your car battery has enough juice.

Good luck.

NB

mr_bill

« Reply #21 on: 10 Jun 2012, 04:53 pm »
I visited a local dealer that i know and he is going to set me up with a rockford fosgate 4channel amp and jl audio evolution c5 5x7 component speakers.
I think this will be outstanding.
I dont think Ill do a separate sub.
Bill

mr_bill

« Reply #22 on: 21 Jun 2012, 09:16 pm »
Hi everyone,

Just an update that I installed high end JL Audio 5x7 component speakers in the front doors, a Rockford F Punch 4 channel amp and a Pioneer AVP4400 dvd head unit in my Fusion and it sounds great.

I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade the factory 5x7s in the rear doors or add subs for the rear channel (I have the option in the Pioneer to flag the rear channels as subs).  The rear deck is also open but I only need to upgrade or add speakers for two channels with my 4 channel amp which is right now amping the crummy factories in the rear doors.

Another question is that my factory radio did AM great but my new expensive head unit with HD radio sounds terrible on AM, to the point that I can hardly pull in the station it's so noisy.  Did I need some type of antenna?
(now that the install is done!)

medium jim

« Reply #23 on: 24 Jun 2012, 02:07 pm »
Hi everyone,

Just an update that I installed high end JL Audio 5x7 component speakers in the front doors, a Rockford F Punch 4 channel amp and a Pioneer AVP4400 dvd head unit in my Fusion and it sounds great.

I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade the factory 5x7s in the rear doors or add subs for the rear channel (I have the option in the Pioneer to flag the rear channels as subs).  The rear deck is also open but I only need to upgrade or add speakers for two channels with my 4 channel amp which is right now amping the crummy factories in the rear doors.

Another question is that my factory radio did AM great but my new expensive head unit with HD radio sounds terrible on AM, to the point that I can hardly pull in the station it's so noisy.  Did I need some type of antenna?
(now that the install is done!)

Take it back to where you had it installed and they should be able to adjust the antenna for better AM reception.   I would go with a sub, but the rear doors are pretty much fill only and spending money there is not going to make or break your system. 

Jim

mr_bill

« Reply #24 on: 24 Jun 2012, 04:26 pm »
Hi Jim
thanks for the response,
I got the am thing figured out and it is not an issue anymore

Now Im trust trying to decide between:
upgrading the speakers in the rear doors
adding rear deck speakers
or adding a sub

Ill only do one of the three options as I will only have 2 channels of amplification available and I spent a lot of money already!
The jl components in the front sound great.

Btw, I dont have a sub cutout on the rear deck, like your caddie, so if I add subs as the option, Ill have to add a box in the trunk or find a way to hang them on the rear deck which I don't know how they would perform.

medium jim

« Reply #25 on: 24 Jun 2012, 04:54 pm »
Mr bill:

I bet whomever did your installation will know the best direction for your vehicle.  I'm confident that a good installer could mount a sub on your back deck or possibly under a seat.

Jim

nature boy

« Reply #26 on: 24 Jun 2012, 10:34 pm »
The rear speakers are not as important as the front, particularly if they are set low in the door.  If you are not going to install a subwoofer consider a 5x7 or 6.5 inch mid woofer for bass fill.

NB