« Reply #20 on: 11 Mar 2013, 10:47 pm »
Monday night,.... 6:30
Adrian
Jeff J
Ted

wedweb

Re: Bamberg Series 5 speaker demo schedule
« Reply #21 on: 12 Mar 2013, 01:01 am »
One of the songs I thought of trying on these I thought of on the way home.  The Who - Who Are You.  I really like to hear how different systems and speakers handle that melody changing bass at the end of the instrumental mid-end of the song.  Systems/speakers that do it well, you can feel the bass rumble you and everything after leading into it with mellow tones. :)

Bo

daves

« Reply #22 on: 12 Mar 2013, 02:47 am »
Bo, another good song for separation is Dire Straits' "Money for Nothing." You have three different synthesizer lines intermingled at the beginning of the song, plus Mark is dampening the chords as he plays the lead run.

Adrian brought over a Shirley Horn album(Here's to Life) tonight that just kills. Four grown men were there, crying over how beautiful a song is. :scratch:

daves

« Reply #23 on: 13 Mar 2013, 11:54 pm »
Anyone for Thursday or Saturday?

jedi35

« Reply #24 on: 14 Mar 2013, 06:21 am »
Thanks so much, Dave, for the chance to hear these wonderful speakers!! I'm very proud of my Martin Logan Monolith IIIx speakers, but I didn't want to hear them on the same night after I went home. As Jeff put it so nicely, we just haven't heard a better top end. It is so extended and silky smooth at the same time. My Shirley Horn CD(signed of course, complete with smiley face) has never sounded so good. Yes, the Martin Logans may be capable of a bigger soundstage with more air and depth, deeper bass(but perhaps not as tight and accurate), and harder hitting dynamics, but the Bambergs are certainly some of the most pleasant sounding speakers I've ever heard. If you haven't heard these, you owe yourself a good listen. They are also beautiful to look at. First rate workmanship. It was a joy to see all the controls on the back plates to get everything going right for the crossovers and the woofer amps. Quality stuff, folks. Just sayin'.....

jackman

« Reply #25 on: 14 Mar 2013, 01:22 pm »
It's great to see people getting exposure to the Bamberg Series 5's.  I spent two days at Axpona visiting every room (pretty much every room) and listening to some very good sounding systems.  IMO, none of the speakers in the price range of the Series 5's came close to the top to bottom performance of these speakers (including several highly regarded popular designs).  In fact, I listened to some speakers that were more than twice the price of the Series 5's that did not come close to matching the performance. 

Maybe it was the room or the associated gear, or personal preference, but (IMO) the Series 5's can hold their own with any of the >$20K speakers I auditioned at Axpona.  The spooky 3D imaging, top to bottom balance and bass integration are truly special.  Plus, the ability to dial in speakers to suit your room and personal preference is something I can't live without (after owning the 5's). 

Dave is a generous guy for setting this up and allowing people to audition these speakers over an extended period.  It's also cool that there are so many guys in St. Louis who are into music and audio.  I live in the Chicago burbs and all of my audio friends seem to live in the city, 45 miles away.   :thumb:

Cheers,

Jack

daves

« Reply #26 on: 14 Mar 2013, 11:47 pm »
Phil will be in town next Wednesday for a show and tell demonstration in the pm, and then packing the speakers for departure. If you haven't had a chance to hear these, next Wed. will be your last and final chance.

I think we will be open for listening at 6 pm.

Tubeburner

« Reply #27 on: 17 Mar 2013, 04:41 pm »
I own Phil's prototype speakers that are pictured in his gallery and bought them here on AudioCircle. One thing I can tell you that after owning numerous pairs of speakers and many that are reviewed highly, I am very impressed by Bamberg speakers. The imaging is the best I have experience and I have owned some very nice and expensive monitors. The extension is wonderful. I feel this is achieved by Phil's expertise with his crossover design and choice of drivers. The speakers are hand tuned by Phil to within .5 db per octave and phase shift of 30 degrees or less total for all octaves with a minimalist crossover. This is very time consuming and expensive for speaker builders and a tribute to a true designer who cares about the music and the sound that is achieved when a crossover is designed right.  I have not heard the series 5 Bambergs, but what I hear from my prototypes makes me a believer and if I ever sell these, I will be buying more Bamberg speakers. I see on the Bamberg website the series 3 are in work and coming soon. These will be a more affordable speaker for us who cannot afford the series 5, but can get the wonderful imaging and quick bass associated with these speakers. The fit and finish of the prototypes are world class. As you can probably tell, I am a very proud owner and very fortunate to have the sound I do. My thanks to Phillip Bamberg for what he does so well. Wish I was in the area to hear his series 5 in person. Enjoy!