Poll

What's the best way to output 40Hz with a DDA-100?

Buy full range (Huge?) right and left speakers, no sub.
0 (0%)
Get a sub that accepts speaker inputs and use the sub's low pass filter.
4 (80%)
Near field 40Hz is pointless, get good bookshelf speakers that goto 70Hz.
0 (0%)
Get a sub that accepts speaker inputs and run as a second set of speakers (half the output impedence)
0 (0%)
Get a sub that accepts line input and run the amp speaker out into it
1 (20%)
Get a sub that accepts line input and run a DAC from the DDA-100's toslink
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

DDA-100 subwoofer?

Picker

DDA-100 subwoofer?
« on: 28 Dec 2012, 04:42 pm »
What's the best way to output 40Hz with a DDA-100? Vote in the poll above.

Steven Stone

Re: DDA-100 subwoofer?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2012, 04:50 pm »
I attached a second set of speaker cables and ran them to the high-level inputs on my sub.

No high level inputs on your sub? Plan B - use the Toslink out and run it into a DAC and take the analog line out from the DAC - the downside is you must adjust your sub volume levels via its input level settings (or via the DAC if it has a variable output) - kludgy - that's why it's plan B...

Picker

« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2012, 06:17 pm »
Yea, I've seen those

but I'm not sure making available 30+ watts even to a high impedance input is a great idea, but its is an idea.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2012, 11:56 pm »
Confused (what's new?)  Isn't options 2 and 5 the same? 

Yes, near field output should be limited.

Subs are better than full range (can adjust volume/locate to optimize) bass

Multiple subs are best - spread around the room (no other way to avoid peaks/dips in bass output in a room).

Picker

« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2012, 01:30 am »
> Isn't options 2 and 5 the same? 

Its not very clear, but I was attempting say #2 is speaker or banana plugs while #5 is line or RCA connectors.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 30 Dec 2012, 02:11 am »
From what I've seen low level (RCA) would send the entire signal to the sub and it's low pass cut off would "ignore" higher frequencies (but the DDA-100 doesn't have that option (only optical digital or high level speaker outputs).

But not spliting the signal, the entire signal would have to go to the sub and it's high pass crossover would send the remaining signal to the main speakers.  Or as mentioned above use the optical output to a separate DAC then to the sub while running the main speakers straight from the DDA-100.

Picker

« Reply #6 on: 3 May 2013, 12:45 am »
Just to close the loop, I found a new 8" powered MiniVee for $450 on closeout (Velodyne doesn't make them anymore) that has a high impedance line level input so running them I'm parallel with the existing speakers is acceptable.

I don't know if its the Motion 15 or DDA-100, but this new setup is amazingly better than my last theory. (Motion 4 & Denon)