SOLD SOLD Living Voice OBX RW with upgraded crossovers and Duelund wire harness

grannyring

e.php?id=178003[/img]

Selling price is $5275 including Duelund wiring harness for speakers to crossovers

Check out my virtual system on Audiogon under Grannyring for more information and pictures. Yes, I said I would not be selling these for a long, long time. Let me answer the question of why right now :). My wife is the author of the popular blog - The Audiophile’s Wife. Notice the speakers shown on her blogspot. She adores the look of these Dali speakers and would love them in our room. I am going to buy them and make the Audiophile’s Wife very happy! I will then upgrade them to sound as glorious as this aphile wants and needs. First time I have ever purchased speakers for her. Well, with her wants weighting more heavily than mine. Thus my reason for this sale.

These speakers are 2012 produced Living Voice OBX RW speakers with outboard crossovers. There are a plethora of great reviews and comments all over the web on these speakers so do the research if you like. They talk about the technical details so I won’t go into it all here. Suffice it to say the builder is stunningly meticulous about every single detail of this speaker. Amazing focus and intention was poured into this design. I operate the same way with my builds and upgrades/modifications. I build and upgrade components for myself and others as many on this site would know by now. I carefully and methodically upgraded the crossovers to essentially take this design as far as it could go. The parts alone (capacitors and resistors) cost $2000. That is just the cost of the parts with no labor. I used the best parts possible being so very careful they reflect the sonic beauty of this speaker’s design and voicing. No way the builder, Kevin, could use such parts as the end retail price would have increased by at least $6000-$8000 after distribution markups etc.... Just the nature of the business. People have to make money.

I used the following;

Jupiter pure copper foil in beeswax capacitors - in series with the ScanSpeak Revelator tweeter. This ultra high end cap combo brings out the very best in the Revelator.

Duelund pure silver foil capacitor - in series with the ScanSpeak Revelator tweeter.

Combination of Jupiter copper foil and Jupiter Flat Stacked in series with the 6.5 inch twin mid woofers. Jupiter no longer makes this flat stacked version of the VT capacitors due to the expense and time it takes to make them. I knew Chris at Jupiter had a few tucked away and purchased them for this project. They deliver the intimate, full bodied and richly detailed sound called for in this beautiful speaker.

I also used Clarity CSA and Hovland Musicaps to complete the upgrade on the mid woofer crossover circuit.

All resistors are Mills MRA known to be the most neutral resistors available. All parts were ordered matched within 1%. This is also very important in crossover design and implementation.

I used the exact same value caps and resistors as the original design, simply much higher quality parts.  I was careful to place the parts (layout) just as originally laid out.  All crossover wire and inductors are stock and untouched as they are very high quality.

Duelund wiring harnesses were built to hook the outboard crossovers up to the speaker. The wire harnesses have to be purchased separately with these speakers. I am including them in this sale.  I built these using Duelund stranded copper wire in oil impregnated cotton. 12 gauge in the bass and mids with 16 gauge on the tweeter. I used the wonderful sounding KLEI™Classic Harmony Banana Connectors to finish out these wire harnesses. I am including them on this sale. The parts alone cost $400. This is in addition to the $2000 in parts for the crossover. One meter long. These harnesses perfectly reflect the sonic beauty of the speaker. Richly detailed, open and with wonderful realism.

The speakers are walnut and very attractive as the pictures show. I rate them a 7 based on two imperfections shown in the pictures. I have the three boxes and they are in like new condition. Pick up or meet half way is best, but I can ship. I live in the Nashville area.

These speakers are priced below their value and represent a very good buy to the right music lover. I have $2500 into them and stock they sell for $6500 - $7500 used.

This is a music lovers speaker. They are all about intimacy and connecting with the music emotionally. The tonality is stunning really. The easeful realism they portray is engaging like very few speakers. They are not about supersonic sonic gymnastics. They will not force themselves on you, but rather draw you into the musical event. You will hear deeply into the recordings you play with a special intimacy that is all to rare in this hobby. They love tube amps as the builder has a particular fondness for tube amps. Very easy to drive 94db with a tube friendly benign impedance curve.

I tried to be thoughough here. Please feel free to ask me anything if I missed it. Thanks for looking. The seller will pay actual shipping once we determine the best means. I cannot cover the paypal fee due to the already low price. I will accept a cashiers check if the buyer wants to avoid the paypal fee.
« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2018, 07:09 pm by grannyring »

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
Very nice, Bill!

There is no question this would be a fabulous buy. I wish it were me!

grannyring

Nice to hear from you! Hope all is well

Stercom

:notworthy: Folks, this is truly a no brainer. If you are looking for speakers anywhere close to this price range then get these before they are gone!

grannyring

While it is difficult to put into percentages the true nature of the speaker’s sound improvement after the upgrades, I can tell you it simply became about 30% more of what it was originally. The same wonderfully voiced speaker is here and now it is simply more expressive and refined.  The speaker also sounds a great deal larger in stage size including depth.  The improvement was not subtle and one must keep in mind this speaker is fantastically emmersive without the upgrades. It is now just more of what it has always been.   

grannyring

Price lowered. 

grannyring

Price lowered and firm.  $5275.  Good luck and thanks.   Bill.

grannyring