Magnepan 1.6QR Crossover Upgrade?

jspotts37215

Magnepan 1.6QR Crossover Upgrade?
« on: 5 Sep 2022, 10:36 pm »
Apologies if this is covered in another post but as a newbie I'm not allowed to search the forum....

I have the upgrade kit from GR in hand and have figured out how to remove the side trim without damage, remove all the staples, and slide up the sock to give me access. Am wondering if others who've installed this upgrade have some advice (or even better, pics to share) on parts placement within the space available? Also be interested in any comments on sonic improvements you've noted. BTW, I am planning to use the tube connectors using some thin black phenolic to replace the factory connector plate. Thx.

Danny Richie

Re: Magnepan 1.6QR Crossover Upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Sep 2022, 09:42 pm »
There should be just enough space in there for the new parts. You might have to get a little creative with where you put them though. They don't leave a lot of space.

Disassembly and reassembly of the speaker is the hardest part of the upgrade.

Using some black phenolic material to replace the original connector plate is a great idea.

jspotts37215

« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2022, 02:28 pm »
Thanks. There sure isn't much space. My concern is having sufficient separation between the inductors. There's not enough depth to orient the smaller one perpendicular to the larger one. Going external is feeling like an attractive option at this point. Going to think about this a bit before plunging ahead.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2022, 10:04 pm »
Thanks. There sure isn't much space. My concern is having sufficient separation between the inductors. There's not enough depth to orient the smaller one perpendicular to the larger one. Going external is feeling like an attractive option at this point. Going to think about this a bit before plunging ahead.

External is a good solution.

I just designed all new crossovers for the 3.7i and externally mounting it was a must.

Let me know if you want to go that way. You might want a couple more sets of tube connectors.

Squeaks

« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2022, 04:31 pm »
It all fits, as you can see. The smaller coil will bump the sock out slightly. I kept the original binding posts because the tube connectors fit. Albeit not snug, but it fits and firmly set with the set screw. Placement of parts is pretty simple, all held in with a few zip ties. I used the original solder lugs to wire everything up, and kept the fuse inline.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 15 Sep 2022, 08:02 pm »
It all fits, as you can see. The smaller coil will bump the sock out slightly. I kept the original binding posts because the tube connectors fit. Albeit not snug, but it fits and firmly set with the set screw. Placement of parts is pretty simple, all held in with a few zip ties. I used the original solder lugs to wire everything up, and kept the fuse inline.

You are only enjoying about half of the improvement of that upgrade. Getting the old binding posts and fuse out of the circuit and replacing them with the tube connectors is almost as big of an improvement as upgrading the parts.

You will also get a big improvement by twisting the new parts together (point to point) and not using those old solder tabs will be an improvement in clarity as well.

Lastly, removing the old wiring and using what came in the kit, and soldering the new wiring straight to the terminals for the panels (no push on connectors) will also be a nice improvement.

You still have a lot of improvement ahead.

Squeaks

« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2022, 10:22 pm »
You are only enjoying about half of the improvement of that upgrade. You still have a lot of improvement ahead.

Me and my local tech are sorting some stuff out with a upgraded terminal plate. It’ll be fully done eventually.

jspotts37215

« Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2022, 02:38 pm »
External is a good solution.

I just designed all new crossovers for the 3.7i and externally mounting it was a must.

Let me know if you want to go that way. You might want a couple more sets of tube connectors.

Been a way for a bit and now getting back to this project. I don't like the idea of installing the small inductor so that it protrudes through the back of the sock. With a new connection plate with only two tube connectors on it, there might be enough space behind it to tuck the small inductor in there. However, it appears that the components are going to be too far apart to allow direct wiring end-to-end. If I go external I'm going to need to shell out another $200 for 4 more sets of tube connectors. Notwithstanding the additional cost, I'm wondering whether a small amount of internal wiring (using your high quality cable) would be better or worse than inserting two more tube connectors into the signal path?

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2022, 04:50 pm »
You can externally mount the crossover and still hardwire everything together using longer wire lengths.

You will just had a crossover hanging off of it like a little ambilocal cord.

jspotts37215

« Reply #9 on: 21 Sep 2022, 05:14 pm »
Thought of that, too. Prefer to keep things self-contained or detachable if that's not feasible. Think to start I will go external with a hardwired umbilical. I can always rework and insert additional tube connectors.

Here's how I'm thinking about laying out the components to fit inside a 6" x 8" in. box.

reyii

• A journey of a thousand miles starts with the 1st
    • youtube
« Reply #10 on: 4 Apr 2024, 02:58 am »
How does the smaller coil look when you let the grill roll off?
Can you please share some pictures?
Thank you.

ketchup

« Reply #11 on: 4 Apr 2024, 01:26 pm »
Don't you want to rotate the smaller coil so it's aiming directly at the center of the larger one?  It looks better in the rendering, but not quite rotated enough.

banjofan

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 11:54 pm »
just finished 1.7 upgrade (external).

once opened, i saw the two inductors could lay flat (smaller in space behind the cover plate) and maybe do tube connectors externally...also found the plate to be non-magnetic (maybe aluminum) although some of the attached hardware eg bolts are magnetic but can easily be removed...
i decided to go external as i wanted access to the crossover without having to open up the speaker...
i used about 6 inches of wire between the tube connector and the large inductor and it seems fine (albeit brighter than before).